• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) Resistance

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
I've only played Dead Space 2 and only seen Dead Space but not played Dead Space 3.

From what I can remember the Marker causes people to go completely insane rather quickly but Isaac battles through this and doesn't go completely insane. Should he have Resistances to Mind Manipulation? Since he's not as effected by the Marker like normal people.

He does keep having visions but he doesn't go completely mental like the others but I just wanted to make sure I'm correct.

IIRC the Marker signal affects people based on their intelligence. If you're not very smart you go insane pretty quick. If you are really smart the process is slower (and you get a Marker blueprint installed in your brain, the plot of Dead Space 2)

Alright then I guess no resistance, I didn't know it was based of intelligence.

LazyHunter said:
IIRC the Marker signal affects people based on their intelligence. If you're not very smart you go insane pretty quick. If you are really smart the process is slower (and you get a Marker blueprint installed in your brain, the plot of Dead Space 2)
Actually, in dead space 2, doctors and scientists that experimented on Isaac AKA: smart people, were affected by the marker.

All people are affected by it, just in various degrees. Isaac himself had a lot of hallucinations that only grew worse as time passed.

Just checked the Dead Space wiki and it states that those with Lower intelligence experience hallucinations while those with Higher Intelligence gain Marker blueprints.

Tho some people you meet are not effected by it, like Ellie, she should no signs of craziness but Isaac was suffering from illusions first. Unless the games telling us Ellie is smarter than Isaac. Plus you see soldiers in Dead Space 2 who aren't effect at all and are trying (but failing) to contain the Necromorph outbreak... Are these soldiers smarter than Isaac?.

I figure that the exposure you have to the Marker signal is also important. Isaac's Nicole hallucinations in the first game were pretty tame compared to what he experiences in the second after spending significant time dealing with one Marker and helping build an even bigger one.

The whole thing is mentioned in a log in Dead Space 2, so it might just be the writers giving an excuse for how different characters react to it instead of the reason being "because the plot says so".

LordGriffin1000 said:
Just checked the Dead Space wiki and it states that those with Lower intelligence experience hallucinations while those with Higher Intelligence gain Marker blueprints.
Do you remember the doctor in the beginning of dead space 2, the one that cut open Isaac's straight jacket? He's intelligent considering he's a doctor, yet he went insane.

@Theglassman12

Yes I remember him.

@LazyHunter

I guess your right about the writers excuse.

I guess it's just how you see it, since it's stated how it works and it's likely just the Marker giving specific signals to specific people so some go crazy faster. I'd just roll with the games way of explaining it.

There is indeed resistance. The marker has shown itself to be a sentient being, so it can drive people with high intelligence crazy as well. He repeatedly tried to do this with Isaac, which in the end was unsuccessful. He also tried in every way to get him to commit suicide, but this was never successful, while a man like Norton Stross, whose intelligence as a scientist should be higher than Isaac's, easily succumbed to the influence of the Marker.
During the final scene, the Marker did intend to destroy the will of its Creator and directed all its power to it, concentrating on it. But not only did Isaac successfully resist the signal, but he was able to destabilize it with his stability. Again, this marker is the same Type that sent people hallucinations from the depths of the Mariana trench and contributed to the evolution and direction of thinking of entire populations.
What is it if not resistance?

Back