• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is this 1-A or High 1-B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman31

VS Battles
Retired
I'm planning to make a profile for a character from the comics series The Unwritten and I'll appreciate if anyone can tell me the tier of this character.

This character is the Leviathan. The Leviathan is a cosmic entity that either is or contains the collective consciousness of everyone that experiences stories, and it forms a symbionic relationship with the worlds; it eats stories and in turn these stories (worlds) are sustained

So basically in the story of the Unwritten there exists a hierarchy of stories where a world on a lower layer is fictional to the world above it is possible to move things, characters and even entire worlds through this hierarchy.

"....And I will enter the endless spaces he enclosed. The worlds you think of as stories"

"stories told by stories made up by the stories to whom we are only stories"

"Worlds upon worlds, stacked upon each other like tiers of some vast wedding cake"

"Or does the stairways of the worlds go on forever with no top or bottom?"

A vastness of non-being where time doesnt exists

So the story of the Unwritten already has an endless hierarchy of stories with fiction/reality difference.

At the end everything basically got reset. The story of the Unwritten was move in a lower world.

"Yeah, now youre getting it. Someone told me once that the words are stacked like cordwood in a barnhouse. Well, we just dropped one level in the stack, and theres no coming back. Wilson write us all. Is writing us all"

The story of the Unwritten now only exists as fiction '

The new world where The Unwritten now only exists as a story is also just another story in the hierarchy

What tier is the Leviathan which contains this hierarchy?

I read The Unwritten long ago, but am not sure how to rate the Leviathan. It can also be injured or even killed by comparatively regular entities. In addition, it is possible for storybook characters to freely travel up the hierarchy via the staircase that Wilson may have created, and there does not seem to be a qualitative complete superiority between the layers, so I do not think that our tiering system is well suited for determining statistics for this franchise. Sorry.

Yeah Wilson created the staircase by using the powers of the Leviathan. Characters can also travel through it but there is still a fiction/reality differences between them. Wilson Taylor raised Tom Taylor into something with which to control the grid (stories) and Pullman used that to his advantage to turn him into a voodoo doll and stabbed him when Leviathan was caught between worlds. I think that can be just added as some of its weakness. I mean we have similar characters like the Endless, who can be trapped or killed using some specific method.

So yeah, the Leviathan can be harmed by using its connection to stories/characters but no one has actually harmed the Leviathan on their own.

Well, it would have to to qualitative transcend all concepts of dimensions of space and time in order to qualify. I don't think that it has such qualities.

He transcends a Composite Hierarchy. And the blank page that came before stories/where stories are written on has been described as having no time and a place of non-being

Sandman31 said:
He transcends a Composite Hierarchy. And the blank page that came before stories/where stories are written on has been described as having no time and a place of non-being
if he transends the hierachy then 1A

Yes, I know. I am just uncertain how to properly gauge the proper tiering of this.

Ok. I have asked Promestein and Wokistan, DarkLK and Azathoth seems busy though.

It is worth a shot to ask them. They are likely the most knowledgeable members about this.

At least High 1-B sounds best to me.

That could work in lack of better options, yes.

The story of The Unwritten is High 1-B alone and its just one of the story in the hierarchy which are just like dreams and bubbles to the Leviathan

Maybe At least High 1-B likely 1-A is fine?

Maybe, but you should still at least try to ask Azathoth and DarkLK for input. Maybe Assaltwaffle as well.

Only the Leviathan.Though there are characters like Tom Taylor and his dad who can sometimes use the power of the Leviathan they're only normal human physically though

Sorry about taking a little while.

Anyways, I'd think something like "At least High 1-B makes the most sense. You could maybe squeeze in "possibly 1-A" but being able to view the infinite dimensional area in its full from a higher place doesn't necessarily mean one's beyond dimension entirely, like when Lifebringer Galactus could see the entire form of Eternity but then described the 1-A Molecule Man as totally beyond his scale.

Thank you for responding.

Anyway, its not dimensions. Its a hierarchy of stories with reality fiction difference between them.

Things like even dimensions are completely irrelevant to the beings/characters that reside in the upper world stories.

example of this is how Wilson Taylor wrote the Tommy Taylor series where there are mages who can "add entire dimensions to physical space" and resides in "hyperplanes" . The world of Tommy Taylor exist but it exists in a lower story. This shows that the difference between the lower story and higher story is more than dimensions. Even dimensions are nothing but fiction to the world/story that resides above

The Leviathan alao doesnt just see this hierarchy but it was even stated that this hierarchy is maintaned by a leviathan and is something like a dream of the Leviathan.

So I think maybe the "1-A" is reasonable.

Well, I suppose that "At least High 1-B, possibly 1-A" might be reasonable to apply then.

I think this is fine. Personally from Sandman's description I think it would actually be quite high into 1-A. With each reality of fiction transcending the other as though it is fiction. This could be compared to dimensional transcendence but if it transcends the dimensions within the fiction each time I think it would be 1-A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back