• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is the warp in warhammer apophatic in nature

Asking this question to the staff or people who are knowledgable.

Words have no meaning here and it cannot be defined by something like human language

The human mind cannot fathom or comprehend it

again incomprehensible

beyond imagination and unknowable

it cannot even have a name

Apophatic is a vague-ass term my dude, but if you could narrow down what exactly you meam I'd be happy to answer you.

Apophatic Theology isn't simply "I cannot be described/imagined because I'm complex blah blah"

It means the thing that is being perceived is ontologically superior to whatever attribute the human mind can apply to it.

Simply being complex is not enough for Apophatic Theology, but implications of ontological superiority to categories/attributes/conceptions.

One thing to note, Apophatic Theology doesn't grant any tier by default. Take SOR, it's only outerversal because he's Apophatic in relation to Dimensional Theories, existing at the summit. Here's what DT had to say about Apophatic Theology
Tbh I don't think we give out stats or abilities based on such information, so I think we have no standards on when we consider something as such.

Apophatic Theology isn't simply "I cannot be described/imagined because I'm complex blah blah"

It means the thing that is being perceived is ontologically superior to whatever attribute the human mind can apply to it.

Simply being complex is not enough for Apophatic Theology, but implications of ontological superiority to categories/attributes/conceptions.

One thing to note, Apophatic Theology doesn't grant any tier by default. Take SOR, it's only outerversal because he's Apophatic in relation to Dimensional Theories, existing at the summit. Here's what DT had to say about Apophatic Theology
the warp is said to be beyond the human mind's comprehension tho. What's the difference?

The difference is that the word apophatic devoid of context is largely meaningless dribble.

Being beyond human comprehension also gives nothing concrete whatsoever. And that is without taking into account that it is wrong.

The difference is that the word apophatic devoid of context is largely meaningless dribble.
? I asked what is the difference between "being ontologically superior to whatever attribute the human mind can apply to it" and "being beyond human mind's ability to comprehend" Wouldn't the latter automatically mean the former? Not to mention that a second definition of comprehend is "encompass" according to google, so it would be automatically superior to what the human mind can encompass.

Not to mention that a second definition of comprehend is "encompass" according to google, so it would be automatically superior to what the human mind can encompass.
Leaving aside the philosophical question of "does the human mind 'encompass' the universe then?", which is far beyond the scope of this discussion, no. The human mind does not encompass much of anything in the 40k universe.

At the same time however, a gigantic mass of human souls quintillions strong throughout history DOES define the Warp, to an extent. Every sentient race with souls does. The Warp is a reflection of the universe it exists concurrently with. The gods and daemons within it are that reflection staring back.

Leaving aside the philosophical question of "does the human mind 'encompass' the universe then?", which is far beyond the scope of this discussion, no. The human mind does not encompass much of anything in the 40k universe.

At the same time however, a gigantic mass of human souls quintillions strong throughout history DOES define the Warp, to an extent. Every sentient race with souls does. The Warp is a reflection of the universe it exists concurrently with. The gods and daemons within it are that reflection staring back.
theory wise speaking, wouldn't someone with infinite abilities be apophatic? since we cannot describe all abilities he has thus our description is less then what he or she actually is

Back