• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is the "barrier" in the short story Hypnos the first gate or the ultimate gate?

Jibz

He/Him
I say this due to me rereading TTGOSK and having a thought. I always assumed the barrier in Hypnos was the first gate, but this one thing kinda bugged me:

"And then, suddenly, he felt a greater terror than that which any of the Forms could give—a terror from which he could not flee because it was connected with himself. Even the First Gateway had taken something of stability from him, leaving him uncertain about his bodily form and about his relationship to the mistily defined objects around him, but it had not disturbed his sense of unity. He had still been Randolph Carter, a fixed point in the dimensional seething. Now, beyond the Ultimate Gateway, he realised in a moment of consuming fright that he was not one person, but many persons."

This is when Carter passes through the Ultimate Gate. It's described as something that induces a great terror, a fear in no way comparable to how the first gate made him feel. This made me think, "how come the description of the barrier in Hypnos is more comparable to the Ultimate Gate than the First Gate" which is clear as day from how Hypnos is described after coming back from the barrier:

"And as I looked, I beheld the head rise, the black, liquid, and deep-sunken eyes open in terror, and the thin, shadowed lips part as if for a scream too frightful to be uttered. There dwelt in that ghastly and flexible face, as it shone bodiless, luminous, and rejuvenated in the blackness, more of stark, teeming, brain-shattering fear than all the rest of heaven and earth has ever revealed to me. No word was spoken amidst the distant sound that grew nearer and nearer, but as I followed the memory-face’s mad stare along that cursed shaft of light to its source, the source whence also the whining came, I too saw for an instant what it saw, and fell with ringing ears in that fit of shrieking and epilepsy which brought the lodgers and the police."

Furthermore:

" he was—my only friend, who led me and went before me, and who in the end passed into terrors which may yet be mine"

"That was the end of our voluntary searchings in the caverns of dream. Awed, shaken, and portentous, my friend who had been beyond the barrier warned me that we must never venture within those realms again. What he had seen, he dared not tell me; but he said from his wisdom that we must sleep as little as possible, even if drugs were necessary to keep us awake. That he was right, I soon learned from the unutterable fear which engulfed me whenever consciousness lapsed."

So, i wanted to ask. Was i alone in the assumption he only passed the first gate. Or is this a more world wide thing. And if so, would this effect his scaling in any way (since i havent actually looked at how Cthulhu Mythos actually translates in terms of scaling)

My dumbass forgot to add tags, and since knowledgeable people on cthulhu mythos aren't the norm, i doubt ill get an answer. Worth a shot lol

I actually used to think so as well lol. But yeah, it makes more sense that this is the Ultimate Gate and that's how we treat it.

If it were the First Gate somehow then....actually not much would change come to think of it. I guess Nyarlathotep would have Tier 0 avatars.

I actually used to think so as well lol. But yeah, it makes more sense that this is the Ultimate Gate and that's how we treat it.

If it were the First Gate somehow then....actually not much would change come to think of it. I guess Nyarlathotep would have Tier 0 avatars.
glad to know i wasnt the only person to think this and that i wont have to make an ass CRT where i fumble all my words and confuse everyone.

Back