• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is it possible to calculate the energy generated by the brain waves of 11,000 million people?

Probably not, but I can give you some rough estimates.
The human brain supposedly uses 400-500 kcal a day on average. 450 kcal is 1882800 Joules or 21.8 Joules per second. 11 billion (I’m using the short scale) people would therefore be using 2.398e+11 Joules per second on average to maintain brain function (a bit higher at day, even higher when performing strenuous mental activity, a bit lower at night). I don’t know how much of that goes into firing action potential, and how much goes into other maintenance, but this would make sense as a potential upper limit.
Another estimate I can give:
Action potentials fire when the voltage of the neuron is -55mV. Resting voltage is -70mV, that’s a 15mV change. We have about 86 billion neurons on average, and 10% are active enough to be monitored at any given time. Action potentials supposedly take a few thousandths of a second in neurons, and have an amperage around 1 nanoamp, so 1e-9 A*15mV*0.003s is 4.5e-14 Joules, with 8.6 billion neurons, that’s 0.000387 Joules. Now, in a second, these active neurons fire 10-100 times, so taking 55 as average, that’s 0.021285 Joules/s. Multiply this by 11 billion people, and we’re getting 234135000 Joules of brainwaves per second (9-A).

The second estimate’s probably more accurate, but I’m unsure if either is good enough to use.

Back