• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Inorganic Physiology Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gewsbumpz_dude

Username Only
Basically, what is considered inorganic isn't well described on the page itself which makes it a bit of a catch-all term for stuff that is between "normal" physiology (animals and humans) and Nonexistent Physiology. This has lead to characters getting the ability despite technically still being organic like characters who are made out of wood, which is still an organic material.

What should be done is renaming it to something like "Abnormal Physiology" or "Non-Standard Physiology".

Here is a summary rewrite I made myself;

"Abnormal Physiology (Or Non-Standard Physiology) is the ability to have an irregular physiology different then that of a normal animal, such as being a living doll, an inorganic being, or a being that is neither organic or inorganic. This makes them resilient or even immune to things that would be effective against a normal animal."

And have a note that says that depending on your composition you can get further powers without direct feats related to the matter, like most rocks being resistant to electricity

What Inorganic Physiology is, is very clearly described in the name itself, it's being inorganic. I don't think anyone can have any confusion with that. If some people are incorrectly assigning this ability to an organic, then that's a problem with that individual profile not the ability itself.

I also really dislike this Abnormal Physiology. It's very vague/niche and extremely poorly defined. Being a doll or inorganic already falls under Inorganic Physiology, and the rest of the definition seems to be extremely generic with no clear identity on what it actually supposed to represent.

What Inorganic Physiology is, is very clearly described in the name itself, it's being inorganic. I don't think anyone can have any confusion with that. If some people are incorrectly assigning this ability to an organic, then that's a problem with that individual profile not the ability itself.
Please define "inorganic" to me then, in context of what it means on the site.

I'm with Ogu, Inorganic Physiology as is fine imo (tho again that note) but I do think we should specifcy on the page what we mean in inorganic

...Which character has inorganic for being made out of wood?
Both the example image on the page (a living broom clearly made of wood) and the example character given for Type 1 Inorganic Physiology (Slappy, a dummy made of the wood of a cursed casket). That's just two examples.

Yeah the issue here isnt with the page its with people incorrectly giving organic beings inorganic physiology

I also think the page is fine, at most we can word it better if something isn't clearly explained and change the images.

Abnormal physiology is something you can give to any non-human character and doesn't have a set of likely standard resistances as Inorganic beings-

I will report the issue on the images in the proper thread, while misuses of the ability should simply be removed.

I also had planned to make a general CRT about giving or removing the ability (always decided in the other thread), I just forgot to make it.
I'll open it right now

Type 1 Inorganic Physiology:
Living Beings: Inorganic beings that have a non-physical consciousness. For example objects that were granted life via supernatural means.
"For example objects that were granted life via supernatural means."
Yes, there is an issue here. This needs to be specified. Bringing any object to life does not equal inorganic physiology, as the broom used for the example, which is made of wood, organic matter, doesn't fall under the definition, but falls under the example.

I don't see the issue with "Abnormal Physiology" being vague, but it does seem like an unnecessary ability, as you could just say something like "Resistance to Electricity Manipulation - made of stone" and have the exact same effect. If you added Abnormal Physiology, you'd literally just put "Abnormal Physiology" and THEN the resistance to electricity part.

Yes, there is an issue here. This needs to be specified.
It is very clearly specified both in the name inorganic. And in the quote you yourself posted.
Living Beings: Inorganic beings that have a non-physical consciousness. For example objects that were granted life via supernatural means.
I have no idea how it can be more clear than outright saying they need to be inorganic.

It is very clearly specified both in the name inorganic. And in the quote you yourself posted.
And the example blatantly shows an organic object being brought to life, showing that the page is misleading. I'd prefer we used more than a surface level of critical thinking here.
I have no idea how it can be more clear than outright saying they need to be inorganic.
Well, the example blatantly shows an organic object being brought to life. That's the issue, because it's misleading.

That's a very minor issue that's fixed with a simple image change. The definition is perfectly fine. Creating a whole new power and saying the whole power is flawed because the gif that was chosen was bad, is nonsensical.

I don't see the problem in correcting the error, instead of totally change a page that is good as it is.
I'm already working on that, though, give me some more. minutes

That's a very minor issue that's fixed with a simple image change. The definition is perfectly fine. Creating a whole new power and saying the whole power is flawed because the gif that was chosen was bad, is nonsensical.
Then the example also needs to be reworded as well, as it's vague. You can't claim that wanting it to be specified is nonsensical because it's implied when you don't like Abnormal Physiology for it being vague, but obviously meaning characters that don't have the standard organic physiology. An implication.

I don't like abnormal physiology either because it would overall be pointless, like I said in my original comment, but I gave reasons.

Is my question gonna be ignored?
It wouldn't qualify, as coal has carbon.

Then the example also needs to be reworded as well, as it's vague. You can't claim that wanting it to be specified is nonsensical because it's implied when you don't like Abnormal Physiology for it being vague, but obviously meaning characters that don't have the standard organic physiology. An implication.
The example is fine, and it is far from vague. In order for it to be vague you need to complete ignore the context of the sentence that precedes it that creates the precedent of what kind of object it is referring to, which is inorganic.

The example is fine, and it is far from vague. In order for it to be vague you need to complete ignore the context of the sentence that precedes it that creates the precedent of what kind of object it is referring to, which is inorganic.
So, the implication of what it's talking about. You've just said it's fine because it implies inorganic, but with longer wording. Asking for it to be specified is not nonsensical, and my point about you disliking the idea of Abnormal Physiology because of it being vague still stands. You're coming off as hypocritical, and I seriously don't see the issue with just specifying the example a little.

It just makes the page more straightforward and accurate, which is what we go for on this wiki, correct?

It's not an implication, it's an established rule. Said both in the definition of that specific type and in the very name of the ability. It is very much so specified. The page is sufficiently straightforward and accurate, it doesn't need any modification past the image replacement.

This thing was already partially discussed here and I brought up the problem of the image (read the thread for more context)

Plus, I also made the proper CRT in which you can talk about character that should have it added or removed, as well as make your own proposals, always according to what was decided in the staff thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back