• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

『INFINITE UNIVERSE IN DRAGON BALL SUPER』

It doesn't make sense for Bulma to talk about the observable universe or anything like that. It's like saying bulma only plans to scan the observable universe or like there is nothing but observable universe for Bulma. Jaco is simply not capable of travelling distances that huge which he literally says it and he literally talks about finite distances. Also he wouldn't need to talk about how huge milky way is if they can travel through infinite distances anyway, saying milky way itself is way huge and there are many countless galaxies that's like it as well. (databooks/daizenshuu also says that travelling between galaxies are so hard to the point going to afterlife and then going to a location is even easier + i don't remember which one it was though :d)

also there are other things like dbz frieza had the %70 of the universe in his control or kaoishin realm being 1/10 of the universe(or macrocosm) and etc.

daizenshuu 4 page 16 calls the universe vast, huge. "巨大な宇宙が地球を包みそれを遥かな高みから天界が見おろしている"

"Stated to be an endless expansive space that wraps around all celestial bodies" raw says it to be infinitely expanding. a vast dimension. has countless stars that makes nebulas and that those nebulas make galaxies.

"屋の扉を開けると広大な異空間が広がる。宇宙 この世に存在するすべての天体を包み込んだ、果てしなく広がる空間。『魔界』と両立する、この世における一方の大世界である。ドラゴンボールの世界では、宇宙はあの世の下に位置し、不思議な文様の刻まれた壁によって密閉されている。宇宙の中には、無数の星が集まった『星雲』があり、星雲が無数に集まってできた『銀河』がある"

"果てしなく広がる" = infinitely/endlessly expanding.

"Stated to have darkness that stretches out to infinity" "無限に" means infinitely. 無限に広がる can mean infinitely/endlessly expanding. infinitely expanding darkness.

also considering the other parts in this statement like "tens of thousands of light-years… hundreds of millions of light-years" which is unnecessary when you already say infinite a second before.

"The universe in dragon ball is stated to be infinitely expansive" same for this part which uses 無限に広がる.

と伝えられたこの世はどこまでも果てしない広がりを見せ says it to be expanding endlessly. (the blog also says it in the translation part)

(might be wrong about some of them or all of them or something like that idc :d)

I'd say the universe is finite, or that there are too many things that is inconsistent with both. Also considering the fights as well in the series. I disagree with the thread,
the universe is finite.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense for Bulma to talk about the observable universe or anything like that. It's like saying bulma only plans to scan the observable universe or like there is nothing but observable universe for Bulma. Jaco is simply not capable of travelling distances that huge which he literally says it and he literally talks about finite distances. Also he wouldn't need to talk about how huge milky way is if they can travel through infinite distances anyway, saying milky way itself is way huge and there are many countless galaxies that's like it as well. (databooks/daizenshuu also says that travelling between galaxies are so hard to the point going to afterlife and then going to a location is even easier + i don't remember which one it was though :d)
I’m not a fan of the observable universe argument either. Although, Jaco planning to scan the universe and attempting to get to the center, but ultimately not being able to do so does not contradict there being infinite galaxies. Even a line on a plane has an uncountable amount infinite points because of the numbers that exist between 0 and 1 being equivalent to the set of real numbers in terms of cardinality. So, instead of harping on this observable universe point I think we should just point out that having an edge and center doesn’t contradict there being an infinite amount of distance between different points. Also, Jaco never says that it’s a finite distance, but says that the galaxy alone is huge and compares that to the Universe.

also there are other things like dbz frieza had the %70 of the universe in his control or kaoishin realm being 1/10 of the universe(or macrocosm) and etc.
I mean it’s referring to him owning people, so that’s not contradictory at all.
daizenshuu 4 page 16 calls the universe vast, huge. "巨大な宇宙が地球を包みそれを遥かな高みから天界が見おろしている"

"Stated to be an endless expansive space that wraps around all celestial bodies" raw says it to be infinitely expanding. a vast dimension. has countless stars that makes nebulas and that those nebulas make galaxies.

"屋の扉を開けると広大な異空間が広がる。宇宙 この世に存在するすべての天体を包み込んだ、果てしなく広がる空間。『魔界』と両立する、この世における一方の大世界である。ドラゴンボールの世界では、宇宙はあの世の下に位置し、不思議な文様の刻まれた壁によって密閉されている。宇宙の中には、無数の星が集まった『星雲』があり、星雲が無数に集まってできた『銀河』がある"

"果てしなく広がる" = infinitely/endlessly expanding.

"Stated to have darkness that stretches out to infinity" "無限に" means infinitely. 無限に広がる can mean infinitely/endlessly expanding. infinitely expanding darkness.

also considering the other parts in this statement like "tens of thousands of light-years… hundreds of millions of light-years" which is unnecessary when you already say infinite a second before.

"The universe in dragon ball is stated to be infinitely expansive" same for this part which uses 無限に広がる.

と伝えられたこの世はどこまでも果てしない広がりを見せ says it to be expanding endlessly. (the blog also says it in the translation part)
I actually addressed most of this in my thread. You’re using hirogaru to mean expanding and that it’s a continuous process when that’s not the case. There’s a native Japanese speaker who gives us the context of how hirogaru is used. Also, hirogaru is also used when it tells us verbatim that an infinite number of galaxies exist too, even in the daizenshuu 7 and chozenshuu 4 scan. It’s simply telling us that it spreads/extends infinitely. You can take a look at this thread. Iirc though, 拡大 would be undoubtedly expand, but that’s not the kanji used the kanji used is hirogaru (広がる).
(might be wrong about some of them or all of them or something like that idc :d)

I'd say the universe is finite, or that there are too many things that is inconsistent with both. Also considering the fights as well in the series. I disagree with the thread,
the universe is finite.
You are but it’s no worries.

Back