• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite Speed and Range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to scaling, perhaps some things should be kept in mind:

1. AOE vs. Targeted.

If a character has an attack that can destroy the infinite structure by creating an AOE that expands outwards and then encompasses the entire structure, we should consider that attack to be infinite in speed by basic logic. However, it should take more evidence to claim that every single attack form that person scales to that destruction technique.

This also comes to the conversation of Attack Potency vs. Destructive Capability. An attack can harm a 2-A character but that doesn't mean the attack is meant to destroy the infinite structure. Especially when we see fights where the character misses and said 2-A attacks haven't destroyed the world.

This would especially apply to characters whose only infinite speed feat is the destructive feat. Characters who have shown infinite attack speed outside destructive feats probably can scale their regular attacks to the infinite speed.

2. Secondary Effects

I see that people mentioned the example of a character punching something and then creating shockwaves. Those shockwaves are a secondary effect. They are not necessary directly controlled by the character. The character wouldn't scale directly to the speed of the shockwaves. Another example, would be like, a character creating ripples in a large body of water. Do they scale to the speed of the ripples?

3. Acceleration

Speed is not always constant. Things as they travel can get faster and faster. Do we always assume an attack already has infinite speed from the moment it is launched or can reach it over time.

When it comes to scaling, perhaps some things should be kept in mind:

1. AOE vs. Targeted.

If a character has an attack that can destroy the infinite structure by creating an AOE that expands outwards and then encompasses the entire structure, we should consider that attack to be infinite in speed by basic logic. However, it should take more evidence to claim that every single attack form that person scales to that destruction technique.

This also comes to the conversation of Attack Potency vs. Destructive Capability. An attack can harm a 2-A character but that doesn't mean the attack is meant to destroy the infinite structure. Especially when we see fights where the character misses and said 2-A attacks haven't destroyed the world.

This would especially apply to characters whose only infinite speed feat is the destructive feat. Characters who have shown infinite attack speed outside destructive feats probably can scale their regular attacks to the infinite speed.
It being targeted only becomes an issue if the targeted attack is an entirely different attack from the AOE attack and not a focused version of said AOE attack or if the targeted attack is explicitly shown to be slower than the AOE attack.

2. Secondary Effects

I see that people mentioned the example of a character punching something and then creating shockwaves. Those shockwaves are a secondary effect. They are not necessary directly controlled by the character. The character wouldn't scale directly to the speed of the shockwaves. Another example, would be like, a character creating ripples in a large body of water. Do they scale to the speed of the ripples?
Only way they scale is if they then show proof that they can keep up with said shockwaves, outpace them or outmaneuver them, or fight against a character that can do these.

3. Acceleration

Speed is not always constant. Things as they travel can get faster and faster. Do we always assume an attack already has infinite speed from the moment it is launched or can reach it over time.
We already disregard acceleration as a whole for majority of our speed calcs that involve long distances (Even finite distances) like many of our MFTL+ calcs (Where you have to take into account dodging planets by altering trajectory or slowing down mid-way or so) so acceleration wouldn't mean jackshit for an infinite speed feat. That and infinity divided by anything is still infinity.

Infinite speed by default is instant and thus would also have infinite acceleration unless explicitly stated otherwise (Like Pucci's Made in Heaven which is explcitly stated to accelerate to infinity but that doesn't exactly scale to anyone so make what you will out of that).

Last edited:

Give the characters who do a High 3-A feat the Infinite attack speed for that feat only (that is, if the feat can be scaled to speed, otherwise that rating wouldn't be given and it would just be the highest speed they've displayed), and nobody else will get it unless they to do something similar in their own verse.
See here.
2. Secondary Effects

This one is a little more. . .eh. That could very well be a case of Infinite attack speed, but only under those circumstances. It's something akin to Goku and Beerus' shockwave creation, but I'll refrain from making comparisons to other verses too much. In the sense that, if they created those shockwaves, and those shockwaves are able to destroy an infinite-sized structure, then that's probably a way of saying that the shockwaves are Infinite speed as shockwaves are omnidirectional.
3. Acceleration

Acceleration doesn't mean anything in terms of Infinite speed. And like we've already stated, traveling an infinite distance over a finite period of time is still Infinite speed, so acceleration won't change anything whatsoever.

I apologize for butting in despite not being a staff, but, if a character A fires a really powerful ki energy blast that encompasses an infinite universe, and other ki energy attacks which are not shown to encompass the universe and character B dodges those other energy attacks, would character B would get infinite speed?

if a character A fires a really powerful ki energy blast that encompasses an infinite universe, and other ki energy attacks which are not shown to encompass the universe and character B dodges those other energy attacks, would character B would get infinite speed?
Unless the other attacks are also Infinite speed, then no. If they are, then yes.

Unless the other attacks are also Infinite speed, then no. If they are, then yes.
Pretty much this. Or you can dodge an attack that is shown/stated to be even swifter than said Infinite-distance-encompassing attack and that'd do the trick.

We already disregard acceleration as a whole for majority of our speed calcs that involve long distances (Even finite distances) like many of our MFTL+ calcs (Where you have to take into account dodging planets by altering trajectory or slowing down mid-way or so) so acceleration wouldn't mean jackshit for an infinite speed feat. That and infinity divided by anything is still infinity.

Infinite speed by default is instant and thus would also have infinite acceleration unless explicitly stated otherwise (Like Pucci's Made in Heaven which is explcitly stated to accelerate to infinity but that doesn't exactly scale to anyone so make what you will out of that).
It might be worth considering if the feat shows us as much.
Say you have an animation of an infinite space being lit up. First 3 seconds are about lighting up the Earth, next 3 seconds about lightning up the galaxy and last 3 seconds for the entire rest of infinite space.

I agree with what DontTalkDT has said, but I also have more to explain on the matter.

Say you have an animation of an infinite space being lit up. First 3 seconds are about lighting up the Earth, next 3 seconds about lightning up the galaxy and last 3 seconds for the entire rest of infinite space.
I mean. . .a feat like that would still be Infinite speed, would it not? Even if it took a total of 9 seconds to light up the infinite space, that would still fit the bill for the "crossing infinite distance in finite time" requirement for Infinite speed I reckon. There's not much of a difference between whether it takes something 1 second, or 9 seconds, or 30 seconds, or any time interval for that matter, to cross an infinite distance. The fact of the matter is that it would still be Infinite speed under the requirements and standards we have set.

Regardless, I'll wait on what DDM has to say when the time comes.

Last edited:
It might be worth considering if the feat shows us as much.
It's still Infinite Speed tho, as thetechmaster36 said.

Also one could safely assume that the light itself was slowed down for cinematic effect (A possibility, but not an absolute certainty, since infinite speed feats are hard to come by after all)

Again, we need explicit statements that it has to accelerate to be able to reach infinite speed.

Last edited:
I haven't read through all the replies, but I will very briefly give my stance:
For attacks that aren't teleportation-like (i.e. that physically travel the distance to fill up an infinite universe or something) infinite speed is ok. Most High 3-A+ character likely have some attack of that kind, simply because they are able to destroy infinite structures. (although teleportation-like attacks are kinda infinite in their own way, due to being instantanous)

BUT I am very hesitant to actually scale those attacks to anything else, such as the attack speed the character otherwise displays. Why? Because for that one infinite speed feat, the character usually has several dozen feats of less than infinite attack speed.
Infinite speed is different from finite speed in that contradictions happen much faster. The reason for this is that any infinite attack would cover any finite distance in 0 time. Meaning: If your character has infinite speed then shooting and hitting would happen simultaneously.
It's usually just not portrayed like that.
Even the infinite universe destroying attacks often are initially portrayed as moving at a finite speed...

So, the technique itself, yes, but scaling of any kind is usually a no for me, unless the fiction gets into those subjects.
I also agree with DontTalk, as usual.

For attacks that aren't teleportation-like (i.e. that physically travel the distance to fill up an infinite universe or something) infinite speed is ok. Most High 3-A+ character likely have some attack of that kind, simply because they are able to destroy infinite structures. (although teleportation-like attacks are kinda infinite in their own way, due to being instantanous)

BUT I am very hesitant to actually scale those attacks to anything else, such as the attack speed the character otherwise displays. Why? Because for that one infinite speed feat, the character usually has several dozen feats of less than infinite attack speed.
Infinite speed is different from finite speed in that contradictions happen much faster. The reason for this is that any infinite attack would cover any finite distance in 0 time. Meaning: If your character has infinite speed then shooting and hitting would happen simultaneously.
Even the infinite universe destroying attacks often are initially portrayed as moving at a finite speed...

So, the technique itself, yes, but scaling of any kind is usually a no for me, unless the fiction gets into those subjects.
That's my take as well.

If an attack covers an extra-dimensional area or multiverse the attack would have Multiversal range with infinite speed.

But scaling such attacks to people I'm not really sure on. Some universes would have evidence for it, others would have issues and contradictions if you did accept it. I would just list it like we do our light standards. Something covering a multiversal structure is supporting evidence for infinite speed but shouldn't be used as the sole reasoning of it, especially if there's lower showings or it causes plot issues.

If an attack covers an extra-dimensional area or multiverse the attack would have Multiversal range with infinite speed.

But scaling such attacks to people I'm not really sure on. Some universes would have evidence for it, others would have issues and contradictions if you did accept it. I would just list it like we do our light standards. Something covering a multiversal structure is supporting evidence for infinite speed but shouldn't be used as the sole reasoning of it, especially if there's lower showings or it causes plot issues.
This also makes good sense to me.

Yeah, like we said, we need to be really careful on who gets to scale to such attacks and whether there's any evidence for it of any sort.

Okay, so on paper, nuking a High 3-A sized realm is an infinite speed blast radius, but in execution. DontTalkDT brought up some valid points that it's extremely common. for attacks like that to start out finite speed but accelerate to infinite. Or even punching really fast commonly causes sparks or shockwaves that are much faster than the velocity of your strike. It's also common knowledge that the blast radius of a grenade is often times many times faster than how fast the grenade was moving while being thrown. Which the same thing applies to universe/multiverse busting feats but the gaps are more infinite.

It's also important to note that our policy on outliers is extra strict when it comes to things that are Infinite/Immeasurable speed since there are far too many Universe/Multiverse busters who are consistently finite speed and cannot move faster than time can flow. We also cannot distinct movement speed from combat speed and reactions too much when infinite/immeasurable speed feats are involved.

Also, I'm not sure if the "Spreading of energy" is also strong enough to scale Infinite attack speed. I mean, using Ki blasts to nuke timelines or High 3-A dimensions via exploding is common in fiction as well as nuking/birthing the multiverse via a blast of Ether during a Phase transition Event, but I'm hesitant to scale that to Infinite/Immeasurable attack speed via Ki/Ether manipulation and then combat/reaction speed of others without deep consistency.

And DontTalkDT also makes a strong point that the initial velocity being infinite is the hardest to really prove, and characters reacting to the shockwave or light that luminates the infinite universe are likely not when the light was expanding at it's fastest meaning it could have still been finite speed as characters reacted to, or dodge it. So I likewise still don't think we should be granting characters infinite speed via lighting up infinite sized realms.

No one talking about scaling to infinite speed. It is about the matter of the attack itself, character speed scaling or not is case by case which will be handle in their own CRT.
Actually this part, it is our burden to prove the attack, or whatever it is require acceleration from finite speed to infinite. Because by your logic, an attack can still have infinite speed right from the start and still constantly accelerate, infinite is not the end, so by no mean infinite speed can't get faster. Cinematic on the other hand is almost useless, when we dealing with speed like Infinite

Last edited:
Okay, so on paper, nuking a High 3-A sized realm is an infinite speed blast radius, but in execution. DontTalkDT brought up some valid points that it's extremely common. for attacks like that to start out finite speed but accelerate to infinite. Or even punching really fast commonly causes sparks or shockwaves that are much faster than the velocity of your strike. It's also common knowledge that the blast radius of a grenade is often times many times faster than how fast the grenade was moving while being thrown. Which the same thing applies to universe/multiverse busting feats but the gaps are more infinite.

It's also important to note that our policy on outliers is extra strict when it comes to things that are Infinite/Immeasurable speed since there are far too many Universe/Multiverse busters who are consistently finite speed and cannot move faster than time can flow. We also cannot distinct movement speed from combat speed and reactions too much when infinite/immeasurable speed feats are involved.

Also, I'm not sure if the "Spreading of energy" is also strong enough to scale Infinite attack speed. I mean, using Ki blasts to nuke timelines or High 3-A dimensions via exploding is common in fiction as well as nuking/birthing the multiverse via a blast of Ether during a Phase transition Event, but I'm hesitant to scale that to Infinite/Immeasurable attack speed via Ki/Ether manipulation and then combat/reaction speed of others without deep consistency.

And DontTalkDT also makes a strong point that the initial velocity being infinite is the hardest to really prove, and characters reacting to the shockwave or light that luminates the infinite universe are likely not when the light was expanding at it's fastest meaning it could have still been finite speed as characters reacted to, or dodge it. So I likewise still don't think we should be granting characters infinite speed via lighting up infinite sized realms.
Scaling characters to the speed is a case-by-case basis, true, but that isn't what we're discussing here. That can be left for verse-by-verse discussions where there are different ways of measuring consistency. We're discussing about the attack itself, not about the character shooting it.

Also Immeasurable speed is a lot more complex than Infinite Speed, given that Immeasurable speed goes beyond the usual s= d/t route as Planck explained (Since it involves moving beyond the confines and control of time where you can bunny hop from the beginning of time to the end of time as easily as rolling your eyes side-to-side), whereas Infinite speed is just usage of the normal formula for moving in 3-D space within 0 time or moving an infinite 3-D distance within any measurable amount of time or 0 time. So let's just leave this thread for Infinite Speed, we can deal with Immeasurable speed later, as that is its own can of worms.

Last edited:
No one talking about scaling to infinite speed. It is about the matter of the attack itself, character speed scalong or not is case by case which will be handle in their own CRT.
Exactly. Scaling can be left to the verse's own separate CRT.

Actually this part, it is our burden to prove the attack, or whatever it is require acceleration from finite speed to infinite. Because by your logic, an attack can still have infinite speed right from the start and still constantly accelerate, infinite is not the end, so by no mean infinite speed can't get faster. Cinematic on the other hand is almost useless, when we dealing with speed like Infinite
Pretty much.

Exactly. Scaling can be left to the verse's own separate CRT.

Pretty much.
Well I actually agree with DDM that we should definitely add a note to the page about such scaling as this can be abused so easily without necessary guidelines on when such feats can be used

The above posts make sense to me.

@DontTalkDT @Qawsedf234 @DarkDragonMedeus

Would any of you be willing to draft some reasonable Speed page safety standards based on them? Help would be very appreciated.

So I likewise still don't think we should be granting characters infinite speed via lighting up infinite sized realms.
I'm not gonna touch on the scaling stuff since I already gave my thoughts on how only the character doing the destruction/affection/etc. feat should have that specific Infinite speed rating, but I kiiinda disagree with this. Not entirely, but kinda.

Even if the acceleration at the start is not infinite, lighting up an infinite-sized realm is still, well, Infinite speed for that feat. I'm no expert on Infinite speed by any means, nor am I an expert on evaluating feats that have the possibility of being Infinite speed, but I don't really see how something like this wouldn't be Infinite speed.

Again, take into account our currently listed requirements for Infinite speed:
Able to travel anywhere instantly, or move an infinite distance within a finite amount of time.
In the instance of lighting up an infinite-sized realm, the timeframe doesn't necessarily matter to a degree, since any given timeframe (1 second, 5 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.) would still overall constitute for Infinite speed. Could the light have increasing acceleration at the start? Sure, but I can't recall a single instance of an Infinite speed feat where acceleration is factored into the actual reasoning, much less a debunk. Besides that, it still reaches the point of speed where it lights up the infinite-sized realm in spite of it having increasing acceleration at the start, hence why it would still be Infinite speed.

But, agree to disagree, whether or not feats of lighting up infinite-sized realms are accepted as Infinite speed or not isn't a decision for me to make, so I'll leave it up to you.

I believe the majority consensus of most of the staff here that it is fine for an attack covering an infinite sized distance or encompassing an infinite-sized realm to be considered as perfectly fine for qualifying for Infinite speed, and that the only time you'd run into issues is when you try to scale that to the characters performing it, which they agreed would need to be solved on a case-by-case depending on how each verse treats it and whether there's enough evidence and consistency to scale, and they'd obviously be treated with obvious scrutiny. But the attack itself as they said, should be perfectly fine to scale to Infinite speed.

EDIT: Grammatical corrections with my sentence, but the sentiment stands.

Last edited:
I believe the majority consensus of most of the staff here that it is fine for an attack covering an infinite sized distance or encompassing an infinite-sized realm is definitely fine for Infinite speed, and that the only time you'd run into issues is when you try to scale that to the characters performing it, which they agreed would need to be solved on a case-by-case depending on how each verse treats it and whether there's enough evidence and consistency to scale, and they'd obviously be treated with obvious scrutiny. But the attack itself as they said, should be perfectly fine to scale to Infinite speed.
@DontTalkDT @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @Qawsedf234

Does this seem acceptable to you? What definition and explanation changes do you think should be made to our Speed page exactly?

Okay, but I still need some specific suggested safety guidelines for our Speed page from them.

@DontTalkDT @AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @Qawsedf234

Does this seem acceptable to you? What definition and explanation changes do you think should be made to our Speed page exactly?
That's fine. Like DT said, the attack that covers an infinite distance can get infinite speed, but scaling to that by default would be a no-no until that particular verse goes into more detail and provide some extraordinary evidence.

That's fine. Like DT said, the attack that covers an infinite distance can get infinite speed, but scaling to that by default would be a no-no until that particular verse goes into more detail and provide some extraordinary evidence.
Thank you for the reply.

Would you be willing to write a draft text please, @DontTalkDT ?

We have this existing passage on the speed page.
When evaluating speed feats resulting in infinite speed a high amount of scrutiny should be applied. Speed feats of this nature frequently turn out to be Outliers and statements regarding infinity are prone to be Hyperbole. One should consider whether it is more plausible and consistent to assume that the abilities creating infinite distance or zero time were resisted, circumvented or nullified instead or if Teleportation or similar were employed. Filling or lightning up infinite-sized realms must require substantial amounts of evidence. But if the intent for the infinite-sized realm is clear and repeatedly hammered in multiple times, then there's no reason to assume otherwise and it should be acceptable.
I think that can be just extended a little.
When evaluating speed feats resulting in infinite speed a high amount of scrutiny should be applied. Speed feats of this nature frequently turn out to be Outliers and statements regarding infinity are prone to be Hyperbole. One should consider whether it is more plausible and consistent to assume that the abilities creating infinite distance or zero time were resisted, circumvented or nullified instead or if Teleportation or similar were employed. Filling or lightning up infinite-sized realms must require substantial amounts of evidence. But if the intent for the infinite-sized realm is clear and repeatedly hammered in multiple times, then there's no reason to assume otherwise and it should be acceptable.
When it comes to scaling such speed to other attacks or characters a high amount of scrutiny is necessary. Often these speeds don't scale to any regular attack or other characters. Fictions tend to prove this fact by the attacks and/or movement of characters not starting and finishing simultanously, even if the characters are moving a finite distance, despite the fact that this should be the case for infinitely fast characters. Generally, to scale such speed feats to characters or other attacks the verse needs to provide solid evidence for it and consistently portray the character/attack and those that scale as moving that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that DontTalk's suggested new text above seems good to apply. Thank you very much for helping out.

I made a few minor sentence structure tweaks to it though.

I think that DontTalk's suggested new text above seems good to apply. Thank you very much for helping out.

I made a few minor sentence structure tweaks to it though.
Well, that's that. Anything else left to do here other than add it to the page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back