• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite Power Statements - Editing Rules Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deagonx

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Per some discussions with DT and Ant, and given a few recent incidents involving discussions about the phrase "infinite power" being used in CRTs, it seemed prudent to clarify the wiki policy on how we treat statements of "infinite power" as there is a widespread misconception that such a statement can be scaled to 3-A. We discussed an addition to the site's Editing Rules page and possibly a foot note to the Tiering System page. This is the tentative wording that DT came up with:

Statements regarding infinite power have to be carefully analyzed. As some of the most extraordinary claims around, they tend to require much more support than most other statements. The statements should be ensured to not be hyperbole, come from a reliable source, judged regarding consistency, have some supporting evidence and be interpreted in context. As an example for the latter point, one should consider that sources of infinite power often mean things like perpetuum mobile, i.e. objects that can provide a finite amount of power for an unlimited timeframe, rather than providing infinite power all at once.

This will help clarify that a phrase regarding infinite power or limitless power does not necessarily scale to a certain tier, because the phrase itself is particularly prone to hyperbole (infinite can be used relationally, i.e. the power is so great relative to the speaker that it's limitations have no practical meaning) or can be used about the quantity of power (a robot with infinite energy, a fighter that never tires), and that in order for such a phrase to be used as evidence for tiering there needs to be specific and concrete evidence that justifies it's usage for that tier.

If needed, I am also willing to go through the wiki for profiles that use this phrase as a basis for tiering and provide further scrutiny. I went through earlier and found many that I thought were questionable.

Per some discussions with DT and Ant, and given a few recent incidents involving discussions about the phrase "infinite power" being used in CRTs, it seemed prudent to clarify the wiki policy on how we treat statements of "infinite power" as there is a widespread misconception that such a statement can be scaled to 3-A.
High 3-A

Also, for the thread's request, this can be done by adding it to “Statements” page, not necessarily in FAQ.

Also, it is mostly indirectly already being a thing in the page
Note: Please remember that character and narrative statements tend to use flowery language and exaggerate to certain degrees. Without any further context to clarify, statements such as characters being “beyond space-time” or especially omnipotent statements are not enough to suggest upgrades. When reviewing a statement for potential upgrades, be sure to keep this in mind.

You can add it as an extra option, but not really needed for a whole section in FAQ.

Or in “Hyperbole” section, it works as well.

I expanded the statement and hyperbole stuff. For the FAQ this is the best I could come up with
'Statements such as infinite power, infinite strength, or having unlimited of something don't automatically indicate that something can produce an infinite amount of energy or work at once. For example, an engine with infinite energy can just provide a finite amount of power over an unlimited period of time which wouldn't give that engine higher dimensional or infinite levels of energy (for example, a machine with a perpetual motion engine). All statements involving "infinite strength" shouldn't be taken at face value without further context to their validity, as this can lead to inflated ratings and cause contradictions with other elements within a story. If proven, however, statements of infinite strength would qualify for '''High 3-A''' with no additional context to the cosmology.

This is a minor CRT proposal, and I don't believe it requires a vote from additional staff members, as we have previously operated using this system. The OP is seeking to establish it as an official process.

As previously mentioned, this could be added to the Hyperbole page.

@Qawsedf234 @Deagonx

I made a few adjustments to the latest draft text. Is this acceptable, and if so, to which pages should it be added? Our Tiering System footnotes and Hyperbole page?

"Statements such as infinite power, infinite strength, or having unlimited amounts of something don't automatically indicate that a character or item can produce an infinite amount of energy or work at once. For example, an engine with infinite energy can just provide a finite amount of power over an unlimited period of time, which wouldn't give that engine higher-dimensional or infinite levels of energy (for example, a machine with a perpetual motion engine). All statements involving "infinite strength" shouldn't be taken at face value without further context and preferably evidence regarding their validity, as this can lead to inflated ratings and cause contradictions and severe inconsistencies with other elements within a story. If proven, however, statements of infinite strength would qualify for '''High 3-A''' with no additional context regarding the degree of infinity involved."

I made a few adjustments to the latest draft text. Is this acceptable, and if so, to which pages should it be added? Our Tiering System footnotes and Hyperbole page?
I believe it would be either the FAQ page (something like Q: What rating does infinite power give) or a further explanation on the Hyperbole page.

Okay. Both the Hyperbole and FAQ pages seem like good places to add the text in question then. Would it be acceptable to add it to both of them? If not, I think that the FAQ page is better.

I propose the following rewording.

Statements regarding infinite power, infinite strength, or unlimited quantities do not automatically indicate an ability to produce an infinite amount of energy at once. For example, a 9-volt battery that never depletes could be said to have an infinite quantity of energy, but not an infinite magnitude (as it is limited by voltage). Statements involving "infinite power/strength" must be clearly indicative of magnitude to qualify for tiering, in order to avoid inflated ratings or inconsistencies in a story. Further, the hyperbolic nature of the phrase must be taken into consideration, where characters are prone to describing someone's power as infinite in a context where it is so great as to be insurmountable from their perspective, but not truly infinite in a manner relevant to their tier. If proven, however, statements of infinite strength would qualify for '''High 3-A''' or higher if evidence regarding a higher degree of infinity above baseline is established.

I propose the following rewording.

Statements regarding infinite power, infinite strength, or unlimited quantities do not automatically indicate an ability to produce an infinite amount of energy at once. For example, a 9-volt battery that never depletes could be said to have an infinite quantity of energy, but not an infinite magnitude (as it is limited by voltage). Statements involving "infinite power/strength" must be clearly indicative of magnitude to qualify for tiering, in order to avoid inflated ratings or inconsistencies in a story. Further, the hyperbolic nature of the phrase must be taken into consideration, where characters are prone to describing someone's power as infinite in a context where it is so great as to be insurmountable from their perspective, but not truly infinite in a manner relevant to their tier. If proven, however, statements of infinite strength would qualify for '''High 3-A''' or higher if evidence regarding a higher degree of infinity above baseline is established.
I agree with using that rewording.

@Qawsedf234 @GyroNutz @Starter_Pack @KLOL506 @Mr._Bambu @DarkDragonMedeus @Elizhaa @Planck69 @LordGriffin1000

Is it acceptable for you as well?

Okay, so would our Tiering System FAQ and Hyperbole pages be sufficient to include the text in?

I have an idea. Include it on the hyperbole page towards the end and make a remark in the high 3-A category of the tiering system.

This text would likely derail too much from the main context if we place it in the main part of our tiering system page.

I said, we add a note in the tiering system, and not the draft. A note would look like this:
Just because a statement involves infinite power doesn't necessarily make it high 3-A. For further information, please refer to this page.

If not, I think that the FAQ page is better.
Personally, I think only the FAQ page should have it. Since its answering a question rather than a general hyperbolic thing.

As for the explanation, it works in my view. Though the 9-volt thing should be dropped and just mention a battery or power source since that's a more common fictional thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back