• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: A new rule about References

A warning: Tabbers don't seem to work properly with references, if I click a reference link and it happens to be within a tabber section, it just jumps to the top of the page.
I think that's fine; most people will be navigating from the page's text to the references section, which works fine. Also, going from the references section to a tabber works if that tabber's open; it only jumps to the top when a different tabber's open.

I think that's fine; most people will be navigating from the page's text to the references section, which works fine. Also, going from the references section to a tabber works if that tabber's open; it only jumps to the top when a different tabber's open.
I see.

By the way, some of the references I used were from tabletop rpg manuals so I just structured it like this:

[Franchise/Verse]; [Manual Title] (Edition/Volume); pg. #

Example:

Warhammer Fantasy; Tome of Corruption (2nd Edition Fantasy Roleplay); pg. 242
As long as you provide specifics that makes the information easy to find if necessary, I think that a certain amount of improvisation is acceptable.

Thank you for the information.

By the way, some of the references I used were from tabletop rpg manuals so I just structured it like this:

[Franchise/Verse]; [Manual Title] (Edition/Volume); pg. #

Example:

Warhammer Fantasy; Tome of Corruption (2nd Edition Fantasy Roleplay); pg. 242
fKFkcYR.png

Just to add to this that D&D does this as well, barring instances where names aren't repeated across editions.

It's good to see this become an official standard compared to when I first started adding them to our comic profiles.

Currently trying to handle things on the Total Drama front. I have to ask, when referencing episodes of a TV show, should I write the actual name of the episode, or is just the season and episode number fine?

It is not strictly necessary, but it probably helps the people who wish to look up the episode to check.

Question;

If your using an imgur album and it has 48 different images (supporting evidence). Each image is the same ability but comes from a different chapter, volume, work, etc

Does each image in the imgur album need to be properly referenced?

That'd be ideal. It's a pain to go back and re-add references for stuff like that, but it's not that bad if you add references to dozens of images when you first collect them as evidence.

Alright, so I do Azure Striker Gunvolt stuff. While obviously most of our stuff comes from the games, but some of our stuff comes from audio dramas, OST booklets and other things of the sort. Which all are exclusively in Japanese, forcing us to rely on fan translations.

So how exactly do we cite those?

Fan translations don't really change the citation process. At worst, it means you don't get to include the optional pagecount, and have to go with a fan-translated title of the installment rather than something official.

If you still want a more concrete example, Kokken Sabi's references are all for a fan-translated audio drama.

How do we format references for, like, comics and manga?

I've been doing "[Name of Story] #[Chapter/Issue] (pg. [Page Number])" (e.g., "Spy × Family #1 (pg. 21)"), but that just looks off to me at times, especially when viewing all of the references together at the bottom of the page.

How do we format references for, like, comics and manga?

I've been doing "[Name of Story] #[Chapter/Issue] (pg. [Page Number])" (e.g., "Spy × Family #1 (pg. 21)"), but that just looks off to me at times, especially when viewing all of the references together at the bottom of the page.
"Spy x Family, chapter 1, page 21" or somesuch seems fine to me. As long as it is easy to understand and looks reasonably good, it should probably be acceptable.

Just to add to the tabbers thing I don't really find how it works visually appealing. Is there any way for the reference section to not be stuck in tabbers

Well, tabbers seems to work if you click on reference links within them, but not the reverse, so it is not a big problem.

By the way, in case anyone needed to know this, there's literally a book next to the link section that just lets you make citations automatically and it's the easiest thing in the ************ marvel 3 editor. You can even make citations to earlier citations. Doing that manually is a nightmare, so this should make it easier for everyone.

You still need to do the actual citing part yourself obviously, tho.

Please submit a screencapture that illustrates how to do this.

Okay. Thank you. It is best if everybody use the source editor though, and I do not know if the automated function works for references that are used several times in a single page.

I tested it out myself. It handles references used several times in a single page fairly cleanly (it gives them different dummy names, first one is named ":0").

While it does preserve issues and weirdness from other parts of the visual editor (trying to add links in references causes the same issues adding links anywhere in visual editor does), the references portion itself doesn't seem to cause formatting issues.

Okay. It seems best to add references in the usual source editor manner then.

Okay. What I meant is that it is usually best to write in the source code properly oneself though.

Just making sure, if I wanted to add references to an existing profile, would I need to make a small CRT for just that purpose, or is a CRT not needed when adding a reference to an existing justification or scan?

Just making sure, if I wanted to add references to an existing profile, would I need to make a small CRT for just that purpose, or is a CRT not needed when adding a reference to an existing justification or scan?
CRT isn't required unless your adding like further justifications

Yes, just adding the sources/references to already mentioned powers, events, feats, justifications, etcetera, should be fine.

The References page is lacking an example for music verses. I've prorerly referenced Gluk`oZa (here and here), however, there's no «official» method on how to formalize references for music characters. In my opinion, the following format should be applied:
  • [Artist name]; [Song name]
A bit of rules:
  1. For non-English songs, the original name should be kept. Or a transliteration in case of non-Latin-script languages (be it Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Hebrew, Hindi, etc.). LyricsTranslate kinda does it that way.
  2. If there're multiple artists/bands working over the song, all of them should be mentioned (e.g. Leningrad ft. Gluk`oZa & ST).

That seems fine to me. Is somebody here willing to appropriately update it?

That goes for what we decided here earlier, but has still not been applied, as well btw.

Well, probably not if the statistics are justified with accepted calculations in it, but we definitely prefer if you use references.

Back