• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immortality Type 9 (or similar abilities) & the Standard Battle Assumptions

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
I want to talk about an issue regarding the interaction of the SBA and Type 9 Immortality (or similar abilities).

According to the Standard Battle Assumptions Characters start at most 4 km away from each others.

That means the characters themself are within that range. Not just a drone they usually control from a distance, or a summoned being they control or a shadow clone or anything like that.

However, that stands at odds with how we treat Type 9 Immortality (and similar abilities). If the characters true self is present within 4 km of the other character, then it isn't on some other plane, meaning type 9 would by SBA not really come into effect. So the question I want to ask is: In which cases does the standard distance of the SBA take priority over type 9 Immortality and in which cases does it not?

I think looking at a few example cases might be a good start.

Example 1: Can't exist on the same plane
A typical example for this case would be a higher dimensional character or a character that views the world as fiction.

However, for a concrete example let's take the Mazoku from Slayers. Their true form exists on the astral plane and they basically use puppets to act in the physical world.

As their true form (their astral body) can't really exist in the physical plane, there is no reasonable way to enforce the 4km distance rule here.

So I think we can safely say that in this case type 9 takes priority.

Example 2: Remote Controlled Weapons
I believe this is usually not even viewed as type 9, but since it is a similar case I want to bring it up.

These characters don't create avatars of their true form, but instead just send other remote controlled things to fight for them. However, notably different from example 1 their true forms could in principle exist on the plane that the fight takes place on.

An example for this would be Kouzaku Mitori who sends a doll that she remote controls via supernatural powers to fight for her or Baba Yoshio who fights by remote controlling robots.

I think by current practice these wouldn't be exempt from standard distance requirements.

Example 3: Remote Controlled Copies
I think this is the most common form of type 9. The true form essentially exists on the same (kind of) plane, but just in a hard to reach / distant place. It then usually creates some copies of itself to fight.

As example for this I would bring up Potimas Harrifenas. He always sits around in his elf village, which is protected by a near unbreakable barrier. In order to act in the outside world he sends out cyborg copies of himself that he controls through a skill.

Better known examples might be Caster (Merlin), who lives in Avalon and creates projections to battle, or Mukuro Rokudo, who's real body lives in an underground prison and creates illusion clones to fight.

I think this kind of situation is the controversial one. The line between example 2 and this one is thin. One can justifiably ask why someone that remote controls robots from a safe distance has to physically appear in reach, while someone that uses robot clones doesn't. Or why someone controlling a physical doll by supernatural means has to come and someone to projects an avatar doesn't.

We should clarify where the line is, why it is there and then update the SBA accordingly.

Completly forgot I made this thread...

What SBA even doing when the location is set on a different place so the opponent can't reach their true form (example for this is in the Aslan vs Bill match iirc).

I mean, and if their true forms exist on a higher or beyond dimensional plane, how is it even possible to defeat them without being tier 1?

Gilad Hyperstar said:
What SBA even doing when the location is set on a different place so the opponent can't reach their true form (example for this is in the Aslan vs Bill match iirc).
I mean, and if their true forms exist on a higher or beyond dimensional plane, how is it even possible to defeat them without being tier 1?
If you dont have range or the capacity to reach other dimensions, you just cant

Life is harsh

Well, there's other ways to lose than being killed; unless of course the OP says "Win via death".

Some exist on a higher dimensional plane, some exist on the same dimensional plane, some just exist on a different plane of existence.

Ogbunabali said:
Can that be addressed in this thread as well?
I think it's best to do one at a time (or one per thread). Things tend to get chaotic when a lot of stuff is talked about at once and it decreases the chance of actually getting something done.

Alright.

On topic. I don't think that a line separating example 2 and 3 would be anything but arbitrary. Unless there is a reason that they're physically unable to leave the place that they're sending out their avatars, or illusions or whatever it is, they should be present at the battlefield.

Well, in Mukuro's case, he's sealed underground in a tank surrounded by a bunch of characters far stronger than him.

Edit: Basically prison, for unlawful DWF users.

I think type 1 supersedes the 4km thing, 2 and 3 don't necessarily (though OP can always just set a distance higher than 4km)

Wokistan said:
I think type 1 supersedes the 4km thing, 2 and 3 don't necessarily (though OP can always just set a distance higher than 4km)
More or less, I think I could agree with this view.

I got a question, what would happen to the case where a characters body reside in a separate pocket realm and the characters fight by sending avatar/copy to their real world?

Elizhaa said:
I got a question, what would happen to the case where a characters body reside in a separate pocket realm and the characters fight by sending avatar/copy to their real world?
If the characters could in principle reside in the real world, the same as what we decide type 3 to work like, I would say.

I am of the opinion that if a person can start within 4km realistically, they should, unless otherwise specified by the OP.

... fuuuck, I feel so baaaad. This keeps happening due to the forum move.

I'm sorry guys, but since it hasn't been settled, I guess we can leave it open?

I am of the opinion that if a character has Immortality Type 9, you are not fighting their true self, you are fighting their avatar. As thus, their "true self" being inaccessible is not an issue. If you want their true self to be in range, fight that key/profile instead.

That is essentially how I'd resolve all of the examples in the OP.

But example 1 does bring up something else curious: If a character only meaningfully exists in a place that isn't the "real world", I'm fine with battles against them not starting in Central Park. I remember a certain character already having something along those lines, where they get automatically teleported back to a realm if they leave it.

I am of the opinion that if a character has Immortality Type 9, you are not fighting their true self, you are fighting their avatar. As thus, their "true self" being inaccessible is not an issue. If you want their true self to be in range, fight that key/profile instead.
As it stands characters with Type 9 currently often don't have separate keys for their true-self and avatar. So that's a bit difficult.
And how would that influence win conditions? If you are fighting one specific avatar, does that mean killing that avatar gives you the win even if the true self immediately replaces it with an identical one?

But example 1 does bring up something else curious: If a character only meaningfully exists in a place that isn't the "real world", I'm fine with battles against them not starting in Central Park. I remember a certain character already having something along those lines, where they get automatically teleported back to a realm if they leave it.
For things like entites on a higher plane of existence or those which only exist on an astral plane there would be the problem that a physical opponent can in turn not exist in their realm either.

For something like you mentioned it's more debatable, though. For me, it would seem weird if the character gets a battlefield advantage for being imprisoned somewhere. If no advantage is generated it would be fine, though.
Those cases generally fall under the "If extreme advantages are generated via this location to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread" part of the SBA.

As it stands characters with Type 9 currently often don't have separate keys for their true-self and avatar. So that's a bit difficult.

Really? I guess if the immortality type 9 is an optional thing within that key, it should be specified whether it's the true-self or the avatar that's being fought.

And how would that influence win conditions? If you are fighting one specific avatar, does that mean killing that avatar gives you the win even if the true self immediately replaces it with an identical one?

I would say no, it's considered immortality for a reason. It'd be hard to overcome, but you'd have to kill/incap/bfr the avatar for a normal timeframe without it getting replaced.

For things like entites on a higher plane of existence or those which only exist on an astral plane there would be the problem that a physical opponent can in turn not exist in their realm either.

In those cases I'd say that a fight just cannot really fairly be made. Or if it is fair somehow (3-D character with higher-D weapon vs higher-D character) that the starting location sorta becomes impossible to define, and kinda irrelevant. Either they can overcome that disparity and it doesn't matter, or it's a mismatch no matter how you slice it.

For something like you mentioned it's more debatable, though. For me, it would seem weird if the character gets a battlefield advantage for being imprisoned somewhere. If no advantage is generated it would be fine, though.
Those cases generally fall under the "If extreme advantages are generated via this location to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread" part of the SBA.

The character I was remembering I think they did get some amount of advantage from it (as their powers came from/only functioned within there), but fights with that character just automatically ended up happening there because there is really no more balanced alternative.

Should we move this thread to the staff forum?

Back