• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immortality (Type 4 & 8) revision of a bunch of characters from different verses

So being immortal because being a god is generally not enough?

To be honest, in that case, I find it generally too difficult to find objective criteria about which gods are supposed or not supposed to get it.

Eh, I guess Immortality though Godhood works well enough.

However, Immortality has to come from Godhood, rather than anything else.

The real cal howard said:
So every supreme being would get type 4 (or type 5 depending on the verse, but that's besides the point)
Wouldn't they still have to at least demonstrate that? (like at least demonstrate never dying through age)

@Matthew: I would be fine with that. In that case I can at least objectively tell who has it and who doesn't.

So, would Asriel have it? He's not an actual god. More of a false god. And what about the Creation strip, as they have someone above them?

Would the following be acceptable for the text on the immortality page?:

"A character with this kind of immortality was either granted immortality by a god, so that it can not die as long as the god in question has power over it, or is a god that has immortality due to being a god, as opposed to just being a god that also is immortal."

(probably a bit bad grammar in there <.<)

I think for Asriel it is questionable exactly because of the reason you said.

Who do you mean with the creation strip?

It's actually pretty simple: If the character has displayed immortality qualities that rely on their divinity or in a god protecting them, they get type 4.

If not, just slap type 1 there. Many gods don't have any more immortality than living forever if nobody kills them. Looking at you, Dragon Ball.

So does someone want to suggest an alternate text for the page or is mine ok?

If mine is ok, does someone want to apply the changes or is there someone that is supposed to give input first or something left to say?

It is not that I want to rush this, but if the discussion doesn't continue changes should be made.

(Fate's reasoning more or less seems to match what I suggested above, I think? If not excuse me for ignoring it like this)

How about something like this?

"A character that was either granted immortality by a god, or is immortal because of its hierarchical position due to godhood, so that its divine immortality is less a power, and more treated as a consequence of its state of being as a deity. In either case, only a being of greater power than the god in question can override it."

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Okay. Would the rest of you also be fine with adding that description to the page?

Sorry for only saying something now (not able to write much today), but I wonder wether the "In either case, only a being of greater power than the god in question can override it."-part is a good idea?

That only a being of greater power can override it is meant as a requirement for what another character needs to have in order kill it, right?

In that case one has to proof that a character can only be killed like that, in order to give it that type of immortality, which would be incredibly hard to proof.

The character would for example need to demonstrate to resist conceptual manipulation from weaker characters; something that I believe by far most characters that currently have it lack. (and also proof to resist basically every other imagineable ability, which is nigh impossible in fiction, as explained in a prior post)

That is a good point. Do the rest of you think that we should remove the sentence in question?

Back