• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I need to ask something that people familiar with HunterxHunter

I want to make some vs matches with Shantae with some Hunter x Hunter characters since she is in the same "general" tier as some of them, but I feel Nen as a whole unbalances the whole idea, from people more knowledgeable in these characters and how they match up in battles, would Shantae be able to deal with even the 8-A tiers of the verse despite not having any abilties of her own to deal with the many traits of Nen? I thik despite the difference in power, she has no counter to something as versatile as Nen, especially since it has that "limited death manipulation" with people who have hostilie auras

I thought of just making threads but I feel it would be a waste of time if it turned out she'd stand no chance, and well I'm unsure on it. Do her own abilities and strength give her a win or does it not matter against Nen?

Well she definitely won't be able to see any thing nen related unless she has a energy source that can be equalized with nen.

I don't know if passive nen Hax will play apart here since I don't recall if it was accepted on the site or not

I can just put vs battles as "X has no hostility towards Shantae" and "goal is to KO not kill opponent" that would remove the limited death manip" part, but theres still all the other aspects to deal with. Shantae series does not currently have anything even remotely close to being equalized with Nen.

Not sure how the rules work here to be honest

But in a non verse equalized scenario, Nen crush would do nothing.

In an equalized scenario however you can argue it would work.

in vs battles Im almost certain verse equalization is required. So nen would affect Shantae.

Probably yes.

It's worth nothing though that Nen Crush isn't passive, nor has it ever actually been used in a battle before so you're still able to argue against it.

If however for example, we assume Hisoka is going to use Nen Crush in a battle with intent then sure why not.

If you want the battle to occur though, you can just restrict it I guess.

Nen is pseudo-passive, meaning once someone actually activates it, the effects are basically passive. Nen crush almost never happens in HxH because the opponents can use Nen as well.

Also if you restrict something that doesn't up their tier then a match can't be added.

No, it's not even remotely passive, it has to be consiously and continously used, it's not an on and off switch, it's more like hold A button to use Nen crush.

And it doesn't really matter what excuse you make to justify there being next to zero evidence of it's useage in the Manga, the point remains that there's a real lack of evidence.

>Never used

Zushi scaring Killua is the best example.

There are also cases outside battle like Meruem aging Welfin hundred years with his Ren, Pouf mentally breakdowning Knov with En, Pitou paralyzing Gon and Killua, Hisoka scaring the hell out of Killua and Gon or Wing making Killua run away with Ren.

Once a guy in HXH activates aura it's able to block other malicious aura. That's why it was never applicable in battle of two Nen users.

Is there any way that could argued a person without Nen could resist being affected by it? High willpower, absurd physical strength beyond the HunterxHunter character?

Resistance to mind manipulation works since all of the Nen effects stem from making you feel intense fear. Willpower is a terrible counter to it because if you keep straining through Ren through sheer willpower you die. That's actually where the death manipulation comes from.

If the opponent is few tiers above then yeah, I believe he can resist. It's not like Zushi's aura would work on Madara Uchiha.

I believe you need actual aura to resist it fully though

Hmm so Shantae could atleast resist partially given she has resistance to mind manipulation.

Also unrelated, but I need to bring attention to a thread requesting changes to Shantae's profile, how do I get some attention to that, she needs a few powers added to her page.

Yes she resisted a living memory's ability to induce amnesia on the entire population of Scuttle Town.

>Also unrelated, but I need to bring attention to a thread requesting changes to Shantae's profile, how do I get some attention to that, she needs a few powers added to her page.

Go ask guys listed on Shantae (Verse) page as "Supporters" to come to the thread and bump it if it gets no response (12/24 hours break between each bump)

SpookyShadow said:
>Also unrelated, but I need to bring attention to a thread requesting changes to Shantae's profile, how do I get some attention to that, she needs a few powers added to her page.
Go ask guys listed on Shantae (Verse) page as "Supporters" to come to the thread and bump it if it gets no response (12/24 hours break between each bump)
Ah I thank you, I keep forgetting such an easy and obvious answer.

I never said it wasn't used

I said "Next to zero evidence of it being used", and I was specifically referring to the killing part of it, not the slight fear manipulation.

Welfin didn't literally age 100 years, I mean you're really reaching if you think so. It was just a psycological effect and the Narrator says "He seemed to age 100 years."

You're completely unable to prove it's "Semi passive", and you're just assuming it is.

Also a few things

Pretty sure SBA equalizes energies so both opponents have Aura

Nen crush has nothing to do with willpower, the reason it kills you is due to the same way initation happens, this is pretty obvious if you actually read the Manga. Forcefully opening Aura nodes without caution is lethal and this is why Nen users can't be killed by Nen crush, only non Nen Users who haven't had their Aura nodes open.

Again, I'm specifically referring to the killing part of it, not the fear Manipulation. They're not the same.

It as passive as long as Ren is active. They're passive effects of Ren. In any fight the intent is hostile or in most cases.

SBA doesn't automatically give the opponent aura. Also the properties of aura differ between verses. So aura actually blocks others whilst some are just there to represent a power up and nothing more.

Death Manipulation isn't just about aura nodes because if you're without Ten you're still affected by everything. You need Ten active to defend without it you're vulnerable. Which is why being a state of Zetsu is a weakness.

Zetsu recloses your Aura nodes, which backs up my theory from earlier.

The fact remains that nobody has ever actually died from Hostile Nen in HxH, so neither of us are able to say with certainty of how it works, my theory however uses evidence and implications from the Manga.

That doesn't take away the mechanisms of the Ten defence which HAS to be active against any Nen user. Part of the reason they keep it passively on 24/7 dispite their aura nodes already being open. Because they can be subjected to hostile nen at any time.

Everyone has Ten active which defends themselves which is one no one dies. I think Wing, a character who INTRODUCED the concept of nen to the reader would be correct in saying it kills. I'm not denying your points aren't backed I just disagree.

Also the initiation is forcefully opening the aura nodes however I don't think straining on someones Ren is the same thing because it isn't forced throughout your body to open them.

Hisoka after a hostile show of Ren: "I mean it. You can't advance anyways, right?"

Gon and Killua are scared shitless and are visibly terrified.

Wing: "He's right, so don't try. You can't overcome his Nen. He's nailed you cold but you don't really know why. Fight it now, and the effort alone will probably kill you."

Killua: "So this is "Nen?!" He can stop us just by thinking he will?! That's a major crock, man!"

Evidence and implications from the manga says Nen can kill to anyone that doesn't know Ten, which is why no one is seen dying from Nen crush in the series, because Ten is literally the most basic principle of Nen.

Which doesn't disprove anything I said, neither Killua nor Gon had learned Nen at this point so my theory still stands.

It takes more than a vague statement that can be interpreted in multiple ways to give somebody a passive kill aura, you realize you're literally arguing something that has never been used before?

Lastly, it's extremely easy to argue that Nen crush is just force since the way Wing describes it to Killua and Gon is "Splitting your body into shreds", which means anybody with adequate durability can no sell it.

Your theory supposed that Hostile Ren only kills through forcing Aura Nodes open. The thing is this is only mentioned when aura is literally shot throughout the body with physical contact. But we see it isn't shot throughout the body as shown with Hisoka's Ren. Prolonged exposure will kill especially if you fight against it. All of this is made clear. Also your theory doesn't account for the need of Nen Users to always have Ten active they cannot be in a state without it. Zetsu doesn't back up your theory because it's simply a state shown without Ten. It's made clear a STATE WITHOUT TEN.

Back