• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I NEED MORE SPEED!!! - Ruby vs Kirito

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm not sure. DBZ characters can do the same thing in the ToP even though they could not fly (Goku and Frieza hovering above the ground, Jiren staying in the air while bombarding Goku with Invisible Strikes, etc.)

The fact that she can manuver the way she does and isnt just gaining a burst of speed in a linear direction means its flight

@Weekly

When does lightning dust stun lock you in place? But yes she still totally has him beat in terms of versatile long range attacks. If this was a fight with pre-knowledge she would ground him up a lot easier, but it isn't. She tends to go close range normally so I'm going with Kirito as he has more versality/element of suprise there.

Also dust bullets don't have AOE until they hit so if he doesn't parry and instead just dodges he'll be fine. In addition, Ruby doesn't carry that many dust rounds; she uses them very rarely other than gravity for manuveuring. This is unlike Kirito's own sword skills which actually have an active AOE and much higher effects (well some of them do like lightning fall and Serration wave, some need contact like his ice moves which can generate a solid block of ice around the size of a large room basically instantaneously).

Also yes, she can fly but I'd say Kirito has slightly more experience at fighting against human-type opponents in the air (everyone in ALO is a flight capable), slightly better control over his flight (he can hover and decelerate really fast - wheareas Ruby has yet to demonstrate that type of control), and longer time in the air? (This one is debatable - Ruby has only been seen to be able to do it in shorter bursts though she does seem to get a speed boost), so I'd still give Kirito the edge in the air.

Thought I responded to this, either way I don't think the speed amp is that much big and every other point is handled by XIN. Also since Ruby's Semblance only makes her intangible as in untouchable but not to elements, I think one can intercept her. Heck that's what happened with Mercury.

@Xing Here

Watch the video because her Dust ammo absolutely has AoE. And no, she doesnt just use them rarely, Ruby has used Dust ammo in every fight post timeskip.

CoreOfimBalance(COB) said:
Thought I responded to this, either way I don't think the speed amp is that much big and every other point is handled by XIN. Also since Ruby's Semblance only makes her intangible as in untouchable but not to elements, I think one can intercept her. Heck that's what happened with Mercury.
Ruby's Semblance allows her to speedblitz people who can normally keep up with her, so yes the speed amp is big. Mercury intercepting her is from before the timeskip and before she mastered her semblance, post-timeskip she gained the intangibility.

Aren't game feats usually non canon??

Fair enough on the latter part on the Semblance, but splitting up into three isn't exactly intangibility.

@CoB No, the creators of RWBY have stated that Grimm Eclipse is 100% canon, the events of which take place between seasons 2 and 3

I'm not questioning the events itself, I'm questioning the specific usage of a character on abilities there. Like example in League, special abilities with items that naturally come from items. Not every onscreen effect or things you do in game is canon. Example marksman buyi

Will go more in depth some other time, work is calling me

@Weekly

Thanks for clarifying the electricity dust! Hmm that game looks pretty interesting actually I might give it a look, did you play it?

Also, still she uses elemental rounds more sparingly b/c she carries less than normal rounds. She has used them in various fights but her major uses are either regular, gravity, or burn? (actually not sure about this one) not very helpful for battlefield control. The only example I can think of off the top of my head where she did use it for battlefield control/imobilization is vs ABRN. Also, I never said the rounds didn't have AOE I said they don't have AOE until they hit which means Kirito can dodge no problem unlike his own attacks which have an AOE merely with him swinging (he doesn't have to make contact at least with some of them - eg. lightning fall).

Not sure about the intangibility as we've only really seen it once?, but I'd say Kirito can keep up with it as its not exactly subtle where she rematerializes (he'll have difficulty due to the suprise and the fact that the petals partially obscure vision but I'd say its possible with his hypersense/precog).

Her semblance does massively boost her speed, but again she's close up where Kirito's attacks have an AOE stun effect and he also speeds up massively with sword skills so he's got a decent shot at just locking her in place and them slashing her to death. Not to mention other characters from RWBY are still able to keep up with her most of the time (except at her fastest boosts) and they aren't much faster than Kirito while lacking his ability to stun and his AOE attacks.

@XING I unfortunately havent gotten a chance to play it yet but ive been meaning to so i can make a profile for the main villain. And yes, they are killed because Electric Dust is one of the stronger attacks Ruby can have and the only clips i could find of her using it are against fodder but the description of the attack is as follows: "Dust Blast now uses electric dust, which chains lightning between enemies near the explosion." Costs 1 to upgrade. Stuns and deals 75 damage to all enemies in blast.

In her fight against the Geist she used both fire and lightning dust ammo, and against ABRN she used ice. Her regular bullets can kill High 8-C Grimm (as shown from her fight with the Beringel), her Gravity bullets aremuch stronger variants of her regular bullets, ice dust freezes enemies hit by the bullet or the explosion it causes, fire burns enemies hit by the bullet or the explosion it causes, and lightning shocks and stuns enemies hit by the bullet or the explosion it causes. Unless he's dodging them when theyre coming at him completely horizontally, or dodging them in the air, there's a good chance he's going to be hit by an elemental explosion as even if he dodges there's a good chance the bullet will land in close proximity. Also forgot that she's entirely capable of landing multiple sniper shots at point blank range in under a second.

Well there's the issue of Ruby spamming her semblance even against cqc opponents, like this, when it comes to flight there's this, when it comes to intangibility there's this and this. And keeping up with her when she's using her semblance is going to be extremely difficult considering it amps her speed to the point where she can blitz people who can keep up with her normally.

@Weekly

Nice! Thanks for the description. Hopefully, you get the time to play. The villain was Merlot right? Or was that something else? I've only heard about the game, never even looked it up.

Again though she has a limited amount of specialized dust in comparison to Kirito's unlimited elemental sword skills. Also she tends to use the specialized bullets as a longer ranged attack with Crescent Rose in sniper form - see ABRN, the Nevermore, etc. Her regular bullets are capable of damaging a Beringel but he tanks several too, so it doesn't much matter if she can spam multiple sniper shots at close range, especially as again they're linear and clustered so he'll be fine dodging them.

Also, Kirito's ALO battle style is far more acrobatic and based on high speed movement (in comparison to his SAO where he was mobile but far far less) so as long as he continually moves long range AOE attacks should be easy to avoid and it should help with close range attacks too (the bullet's AOE is small so by the time it lands if he's constantly in motion like he normally is he should already be out of the blast range not to mention a bullet tends to be targeted at the torso so it tends to go farther away if it misses unless she's shooting from above). Plus he's generally in the air whenever he can so that probably won't be an issue. He also has far more experience fighting flying humanoid enemies something Ruby has never done before.

Spamming her semblance is a bit of a problem (damn I really got to rewatch the series - I don't remember half this stuff) though I believe he can compensate for it with sword skill chaining to boost his own speed and again his elemntal AOE stun attacks.

@XING Yes, its Merlot. While he doesnt have any feats himself he essentially has an entire army of genetically modified grimm at his disposal.

Limited yes, but that doesnt mean that she doesnt have a lot, hell in the Red Trailer alone she uses several dozen gravity dust bullets from just one clip. And she's been willing to use Gravity dust at close range as well (Again see the Red trailer), while the Beringel was able to survive her regular bullets in non-vital spots and her gravity rounds are much stronger. Getting hit by those at close range will spell bad news for Kirito.

True but from what ive seen from his GGO days he's more likely to try to intercept the bullet with his sword than to just block them isnt he? I could be misremembering though. Plus all his speed feats are based on him intercepting bullets with his sword, not dodging them.

His sword skills make him exponentially faster? And whats stopping Ruby from just jetting away into the sky if he tries to catch her in a combo?

Even if he does catch her with that there's still the issue of her aura that he has to get past. Though, might i ask what skill youre referring to?

I like both characters. Just want to say Ruby's sniper range won't help at all as proven in the Gun Gale arc where Kirito proved he can deflect bullets utterly casually with a sword.

Hmm Does Ruby really have the experience advantage...

I mean Kirito was stuck in a game of death for like 2 years fighting off monsters and what not. I mean he was so skilled that the shit he was doing in his mind translated somewhat to his real-life self as he was decent at Kendo despite never training. while this doesn't as impressive with out context of course.

also saying Kirito isn't really that skilled and his moveset is predictable because his attacks are just random swings and what not is false.

I've seen some of Anime's greatest swordsman such as Ruroni Kenshin, Afro Samurai co just pull of straightforward strikes..this doesn't mean they skilled it's just a visualization made by the animators and has no influence on the character's skill. otherwise, every Jedi from OT are incompetent fighters lol.

Kirito is constantly considered one of the best swordsman in SAO in the novels and anime. in fact, he was the best Swordsman up until mother rosarioarc

4 - 4 - 1

They likely have similar combat experience, fighting both humans and monsters alike.

@Shadow And Ruby has been training under easily one of the most skilled fighters in the verse for years and has actual training coupled with her combat experience, hell even Ozpin stated that it would take someone with skill comparable to that of Qrow in order to wield Crescent Rose to its fullest efficiency)

@Shadow - Kirito may have simpler attack patterns but nobody is saying he is any less skilled just more predictable.

@Weekly - Hmm...true about the Beringel. I'll have to rethink this as you're right gravity rounds I believe will actually be Ruby's best advantage close up allowing her to do higher damage and manuveur even more quickly and randomly. This'll be closer than I originally thought. But Kirito has low/mid-tier Regenerationn and healing items in addition to the advantages I already listed, so he should be able to last.

You're not quite right about GGO, his first instinct will be to dodge everything he can (see the light novels and his first time fighting the guy with the assault rifle) and only deflect the ones he can't with his sword.

His sword skills have an AOE stun effect while simultaneously speeding/powering himself up (speeds/powers himself up while immobilizing his opponents), so the point is she isn't likely to get away into the sky, and even if she does he's capable of using them while flying (a bit more awkwardly though). And while her aura will protect her for a while, he can keep her stunned and incapable of dodging by spamming his elemental sword skills with skill connect. Basically, if she gets caught she's screwed. The tricky part is getting in that first strike, which is where I believe Kirito has the advantage due to how Ruby normally fights versus his advantages.

Also, does her intangibility apply to elemental attacks/status effects?

Considering the intangibility is more like split into 3 parts and fly at the same direction to dodge attacks, unlikely. Its certainly not to the extent like that intangible sword user that Kirito fought in Alfheim

At work so cant contribute much rn.

Eugene's intangible sword was only intangible against an opponent trying to block, which kirito was very easily able to exploit by using two swords so he would always be attacking

Ruby's semblance doesnt have this weakness

@XING Ruby has her aura and regen too, and i could be misremembering but dont healing spells for him have a channeling time? And healing items need to be equipped?

Ah okay, my bad, thoigh for a sniper rifle Crescent Rose has a ridiculous fire rate.

Problem with that is this post timeskip runy, not pre timeskip, meaning. shes just as likely to play keepaway and spam her semblance and take pot shots at him as she is to get in close. And theres also the tornado she can create with her semblance that is capable of harming people who are stronger than herself as well as disorienting enemies that are twice her size. Also you gotta factor in Ruby's ridiculous weapon analysis, which is precise enough to analyze a eeapon down to its composition, mechanical function or lack thereof, and even potential places that people can focus their power into to make said weapon stronger. Also how fast does it make him? Because even pre timeskip Ruby's semblance made her fast enough to escape being restrained by Roman and make it a good distance away before he even realized she was gone despite looking right at her when he had her.

Ruby's air game > Kirito's cause ALO air game does not involve blitzing around the enemy, which Rub yrelies on. This is further augmented with Ruby's natural speed advantage plus semblance. Plus, Ruby has a range advantage due to bullets (she can also augment melee attacks with bullets) and a longer weapon. Ruby also has more exp than Kirito cause not only is he self-taught, but he has also been fighting for at most 3 years, while Ruby has been training for at LEAST 7 years (since she's in 1st year high school and skipped 2 years, so she would logically have a 7th grade education, and her school is based off of creating weapons and fighting, as well as normal education). I vote Ruby.

Debating with a migraine is gonna be fun

Only leaving this post

@Weekly

It doesn't matter if his opponent isn't intangible or not. The quick-witted thinking shows he could pull off last second hits. Meaning that if Ruby is faster on her intangibility form, despite having no proof of going through walls or attacks, she can still be intercepted or dodged. And if anything Kirito has the aerial superiority over someone who just airbursts around. Her semblance moving is great, probably her best weapon. But Kirito can counter with his own AOE attacks which should intercept. Considering that there was never really anything solidly saying Ruby overcame her old weakness of being hit in that form. Then again she barely uses it.

Kirito predicted a sniper rifle attack without any assist. But that's not the point considering there were lightning/electricity and even laser attacks later on. But that's on a later level. A blitz would be unfair anyway. Also I'm finding it questionable Remnant people taught 8 year olds how to fight but sure, I mean, it's not like experience is always the one that dictates a battle. Cough Ozpin and Salem or other numerous instances of that.

By the way Ruby barely blitzes around, also if she's in character I doubt she would spam such a move considering she didn't in her later battles.

Longer weapons and range advantage doesn't always mean an advantage btw. If the enemy closes in on you or could easily parry them then it's a bit of an issue especially with limited dust. Also arguably Kirito has more experience too considering he was training Kendo way in the past in his youth so there goes that exp argument if you still wanna argue that.

@Weekly - Oh yeah definitely, Ruby has the total advantage in defense. I'm saying that his healing will help balance out that disadvantage as it's more powerful/quick (It's automatic from SAO). Healing items from SAO are extremely quick to use and you can use them during combat - including full heal crystals (which he always carries on his belt). Also, the sword skills make him two times faster.

Ooh...I totally forgot about her tornado move. That's actually the best argument you've pulled out. I don't think he's got a counter to that other than trying to either plant himself with his sword or fly in the opposite direction (he has no wind element sword skills I'm aware of) and that'll seriously screw with his opening movements which badly damages his chances (thankfully, she doesn't really open with that). Also, I know it's post-timeskip but still she mainly likes going close range (See any of the Grimm battles you posted), though she doesn't stay close range as long anymore varying more between long and short.

However, I think I'll actually change to inconclusive b/c of the condition stating that they are fighting in character without foreknowledge. Just like Ruby doesn't normally open with the tornado or stay long range, now that I think of it, he actually doesn't use his AOE stun-capable sword skills a lot. He prefers the heavy physical-type direct damage sword skills which were carried over from SAO or attacks with high elemental damage but not that much splash. So basically, they'll be able to figure out each other's styles pretty quick and then try to play up their advantages. Ruby will have the opening advantage, but he can heal and close in with stealth spells so its hard to decide who'll win.

@Mickey
- Yes he has. See the final battle against Death Gun; the anime shows it but the light novel especially clearly describes how he dodges without knowing where the sniper is.

In the air, I'd actually say they're around equal in terms of pure stats with differing areas of strength (I'd give the comparison of a helicopter vs a plane - one is capable of extremely fine maneuvering and braking while the other's advantage is pure speed) but Kirito has more experience fighting humanoid opponents in the air something Ruby has never done. Also, Ruby has more training not more experience; there's a big difference.

5 - 4 - 1. Just silently watching. This is pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back