• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jinsye

She/Her
Haha I'm gonna start a war.

Characters can be good, character can be bad. But it's impossible for a character to be perfect.

So! This'll be a thing to suggest on how a character could be improved. Writing wise or design wise. This isn't on bad characters, it can be good characters too. I'll start more popular but I can get more obscure as time goes by.

Third one is the blue blur and face of SEGA, Sonic the Hedgehog! You can talk about all versions of him here.

Also don't be toxic, please. I'm begging you.

Sonic The Hedgehod

Make it clear what kind of character Sonic the Hedgehog is.

In Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic was vehemently against the idea of eternity. Right after Merlina described the doomed fates of everyone in the world, she is adamant that the solution was to make the world Eternal.

Sonic was very against the idea of eternity, even though he knew tragedy and despair was right around the corner for the world and inevitable.

I want more insight on that side of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Idk. I kinda saw Sonic shrugging off torture in character for him in Sonic Forces.

Sonic should not be light hearted or edgy (Drite77 you're completely wrong btw). He's suppose to be shonen. Always has and always will be. His growth from the Classic Era to the Adventure/Modern Era is like Dragon Ball turning into Dragon Ball Z. Or in better terms, Classic Mega Man into Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero. His gameplay is also an evolution from the Classic formula when it came to the Adventure Era. Hence why a lot of gamers and Sonic fans loved those games in that Era. Mega Man did the same thing with the X series and even more so in the Zero series (Especially Zero 3). The reason why I'm comparing Sonic to these franchises is because he has elements that are akin to what both franchises have and why they got so popular in the first place. Not a lot of gamers would admit, but Sonic was cool back in the 2000s and he still is. And there's no counterargument to my comment as ofc I'm one of the most loyal Sonic fans on this site.

Copy-pasted for and from some guy named Corgi.

Despite many, many, many questionable choices thought the Sonic series, Sonic's own character has in general been pretty strong and consistant, even in Forces (The first thing he does after he gets out of prison in that game after alleged "torture" is make a snarky remark). He's witty, rarely takes things seriously unless they get really bad, and is impatient. He's nice to his friends, and is generally friendly to his enemies unless they're Kirby-level eldrich horrors, and even then he's more than willing to crack a joke or two. He's impatient, and loves change. Even his worst games potray him pretty well.

Sonic '06 probably potrays him the worst out of all the canon games he's been in (The ones where he has a personality, at least). He's not bad in this, but there's a lot of room for growth and improvement. The whole love thing completely goes against his character, though, just in general. But that game was literally erased from time, so it dosn't matter anymore since all we need to look at that game for is Solaris scaling now.

Boom Sonic also keep that same personality, combined with some aspects of a modern teenager, which fits Sonic Boom's style well (Mainly the show).

Paramount absolutely did him justice, though I won't spoil much. Sonic the Hedgehog is probably the best Video Game Movie of all time. Go watch it.

He's a bit of a jerk in the OVA, but he still keeps his charm.

Sonic X is mostly the same story. But he swears in the Japanese version which is really wierd, but probably makes sence in Japan

I can't speak for any other canon, but at least in what I've seen Sonic's character is one of the few things that are reliably good in the games. They've never made Sonic himself edgy, just the games themselves and other characters like Knuckles for some ungodly reason. Sonic Forces was just the unpaid intern's son's fanfiction, I swear...

TLDR: Don't give Sonic a romantic intrest ever again. Otherwise he's good.

If we are making the claim Sonic the Hedgehog is a Shonen Protagonist,

Sonic than definitely have an unique outlook on life. Luffy, Ichigo, Naruto, etc, definitely had their own outlooks when it comes to life.

Sonic the Hedgehog's own Philosophy has yet to be explored and the only sneak peek of it that we have is his disgust towards the concept of eternity.

Al-Ameen Adewunmi said:
Sonic should not be light hearted or edgy (Drite77 you're completely wrong btw). He's suppose to be shonen. Always has and always will be. His growth from the Classic Era to the Adventure/Modern Era is like Dragon Ball turning into Dragon Ball Z. Or in better terms, Classic Mega Man into Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero. His gameplay is also an evolution from the Classic formula when it came to the Adventure Era. Hence why a lot of gamers and Sonic fans loved those games in that Era. Mega Man did the same thing with the X series and even more so in the Zero series (Especially Zero 3). The reason why I'm comparing Sonic to these franchises is because he has elements that are akin to what both franchises have and why they got so popular in the first place. Not a lot of gamers would admit, but Sonic was cool back in the 2000s and he still is. And there's no counterargument to my comment as ofc I'm one of the most loyal Sonic fans on this site.

Copy-pasted for and from some guy named Corgi.
Nice avi.

Sonic is definitvely not his worst in 06, that goes to Colors with shitty jokes, he barely cares

And no, Sonic in Forces was awful, Sonic in SA2 was absolute desperate to get out of the cell, not being able to stay around, while Forces he doesn't care about anything

Theuser789 said:
And no, Sonic in Forces was awful, Sonic in SA2 was absolute desperate to get out of the cell, not being able to stay around, while Forces he doesn't care about anything
It could be an evolution of his character. He doesn't have to doubt anymore that he will win.

No, Sonic core character he doesn't like to stay in ons place, we saw that affect him in past games, we don't see it now, Sonic just jokes and fights

Honestly I just kinda want him to go back to his character in Sonic and The Black Knight, you know snarky and cocky but does the right thing and tries to protect others.

Of course anything's better then what we've gotten recently

Or maybe something like the IDW comics, IDK Sonic as a character has always been an optimist even things are really dire yet he knows when to get serious.

IMO I think games after Sonic Colors kept the light heartedness but with none of the maturity

ElixirBlue said:
How do we describe "edgy" In the context? Being serious?
The most popular definition for edgy is being a overly angsty and being a try hard when it comes to be being serious. Sonic, nor Luffy's character trait is that. They get serious at times, but not to the point where it comes off as excessive angst.

1. Make the cast relevant again. Sure it's the namesake, but it shouldn't be all about Sonic. They have a cast of characters that they're letting waste away.

2. Bring back the darker tones in his stories. Sonic games were at their best when they targeted audiences of all ranges. They had stories with dark undertones but still made the game lively. Sonic Adventure 2, Riders, Unleashed, etc. Forces, while having serious moments, still had it all seem goofy. "Six months of torture? Let's breeze by that."

3. Improve on what you got right, and either abandon or rework things you got wrong. You can never appease all of the fans, but what matters is that it's still an overall enjoyable experience both in gameplay and in storytelling for a majority of people.

Okay not to be toxic to spare Ed the trouble, but please show me when Sonic himself has been "edgy."
┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

You get a B for

52316311-5E65-4CF5-BC51-5A217CE48B48

MYHERO said:
Okay not to be toxic to spare Ed the trouble, but please show me when Sonic himself has been "edgy."
┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬» You get a B for
52316311-5E65-4CF5-BC51-5A217CE48B48
Should be D for dumb ovo

Lol.

But Sonic the Hedgehog, current Sonic, should have powerful wisdom. If not powerful, at least show he has wisdom. Black Knight showed it perfectly.

Yeah Black Knight was pretty much we saw of smarter writing in Sonic, and it pisses me off cause when Forces was originally known as Project 2017 the first trailer really had a dark and apocalyptic tone to it. Instead we get the same crap as we've had since Colors

Yeah, the current writing of Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't show him as a wise character, which I've noticed has hurt his character's reputation.

Shake and I were talking about this recently, and we came to the conclusion of a couple things.

One, explore Sonic's character and outlook more. One thing that we forget is that Sonic is just a kid. He's 16 in human years (I guess anthropomorphic creatures have normal human lifespans lol) and has been through so many trials, has thought his friends have died a handful of times, and straight up died himself. Sonic has already been said to hide his tears from everyone else literally always, so it'll be interesting to see what that does to his psyche. If he makes his snide remarks to hide the trauma all the world takeovers and eldritch horrors he had to fight.

Two, bring back the Super Emeralds. This is the main thing Shake and I were talking about. It was such a cool concept that was dropped after one game, and it showed that Sonic had a sort of symbiotic relationship with the Emeralds, as he's the only one who was able to bump them up to the next level, and has shown greater prowess in the Super Form than even Knuckles, who has an innate connection with the gems. It's not just a free powerup for him, but it shows that he can make the power his own. Something unique to him.

Three, don't make the Hedgehogs Saiyans. By that I mean how unless you're a Saiyan, you're irrelevant in Dragon Ball. But in Sonic, replace Saiyan with Hedgehog. Sonic took over Knuckles' task of being strong, and every other character that's not Shadow or Silver is useless, barring Tails due to his intellect.

Four, expand the lore of the Emeralds. Their the main macguffin for a reason. Shake and I had a long convo about this one. We came up with our own theories. And it related to the one line of Sonic telling Shadow to save his energy in Super or else he'll disappear. But that was dropped literally instantaneously. We had theories that ineptitude with the form shows a paler Super form. Sonic in the earlier games had a pale yellow, but became mostly golden once he's taken the power as his own. Shadow in SA2 had a more silverish tone to his Super form, but come 06, he can use it easily. And it's why Silver's is so pale. We also said that it's why Hyper Sonic is white. That because Sonic has only used it once, and how volatile the form is with how strong it is, it shows a straight up bleached fur color. Of course, all of this is headcanon, as the Sonic Team hasn't confirmed any of this, which is why I'd say this would improve it.

Tails is pretty much Bulma these days. Not a fighter but super useful with technology.

I'm seeing a lot of great takes here

Can't say much besides what been said here Well actually I do cut back on the corny jokes

Back