• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

High School D×D Discussion Thread #4

I don't mind it at all. I read the Yen Press translations of the Mom Isekai and they're fine. And honestly, the Fan Translations for DxD (Specially early on) have really awkward prose and writing so I'd like to see a more professional end result.

Official translations overall don't have different prose than properly edited fan translations, and for Yen Press, they have a history of sometimes terrible products. But even that aside, they're one of the more disliked publishing firms due to their extremely slow release schedule and inconsistent translation quality. They might be better than the horrible Funimation translation for DxD Zero, but overall, I consider this event to be far too little gain for way too many potential losses.

The Code-Zero Fan Translations have really bad wooden English. This is why I'm looking forward to the first few vol releases

Also it really depends on which series is being released. I've seen LNs that got 5 volumes released in one year.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Fan Translations for DxD (Specially early on) have really awkward prose and writing
Maybe the fact the series is written from the POV of a horny, 16-years old boy has something to do with that? Idk man, it's hard to imagine a 16yo with a personality like Ise's speaking in such a formal manner, specially before his character development.

I mean Percy Jackson is written from the POV of a 12 year old early on and the prose is much more descriptive and clean either way?

Matthew Schroeder said:
the prose is much more descriptive and clean either way?
Dude, there's a reason these are called light novels. The language they use is simpler than that of a regular novel.

The descriptions and overall grammar quality get a lot better over time. I'd say the main issues are in Volume 1 - 8.

Imagine Asia and Ravel saying "Mr. Ise" or "Lord Ise" all the time in the official TL though. Kinda funny, lol.

Yen Press uses Japanese Honorifics when it's appropriate. And non-japanese honorifics when it isn't.

For example, I'm 100% sure that you won't be seeing Angels and Norse Gods use Japanese Honorifics in the Official Translation because it doesn't fit the characters' backgrounds. But Issei himself and the other club members? Yeah, probably.

Also, the sufix -san is not something that is ever brought over to translation because it doesn't have a right western equivalent. Much like -kun / -chan isn't. You are still referring to the person by their own name as an equal, you're simply establishing the degree of respect / closeness you have with them.

Meanwhile -sama and -dono do denote disparate power and authority positions, and would more actually be translated in such ways.

Ionliosite said:
Dude, there's a reason these are called light novels. The language they use is simpler than that of a regular novel.
No offense but Percy Jackson began as literal children's novels. And I can think of plenty of Light Novels we more descriptive writing than DxD. Monogatari is a prime example of a Light Novel that has "advanced" writing.

Dunno if I'm ignorant on something here but I wonder why Ishibumi hasn't updated his Twitter or blog regarding this news? He sometimes acknowledges the western fans in his posts.

Matthew Schroeder said:
No offense but Percy Jackson began as literal children's novels. And I can think of plenty of Light Novels we more descriptive writing than DxD. Monogatari is a prime example of a Light Novel that has "advanced" writing.
I mean....Nisio is known for his writing. The people who translated the medaka box novels did mention that it is harder than normal novels to translate.

Nisio is amazing at what he does, so we can't really compare everything to some of the best.

Earl is right: Monogatari is an exception, not a rule. Go read more generic light novels involving magic schools and isekais and you'll see what I mean.

I do read trashy Isekai and I must note that there is notable difference between amateur quality translations and professional translations for the same novels

Matthew Schroeder said:
I do read trashy Isekai and I must note that there is notable difference between amateur quality translations and professional translations for the same novels
Matt's admiting he's one of us

Well i can't argue on that point as the light novels i've read haven't had any official translation, but i guess i will notice the difference between the 2 when Rakudai gets official translations.

I'll get back to you on this one in a couple of days i guess (once someone gets their hands on the official novels).

Matthew Schroeder said:
I just can't take you seriously anymore if you're seriously using my own point in your favour.

"I do read trashy Isekai and I must note that there is notable difference between amateur quality translations and professional translations for the same novels"

There really isn't, especially not in Yen Press' case. Compare Mushoku Tensei fan translation with the official translation done by Seven Seas, which is a much better company than Yen Press. The differences are negligible.

If we go by Yen Press, just compare translations on Sword Art Online, Accel World or No Game No Life.The former two are negligible in their differences, and the latter started off with Yen Press bringing up such a horrible product that they had to fix it to a mediocre state after huge backlash. There's also Overlord, which is another that is much maligned.

Light novel translations already have amateur quality standards. It's a niche market, so they don't have the quality control you think.

Magical Girl Raising Project by Yen Press is also a huge mess. So this isn't a matter if the translations is made by fans or professionals, it's matter of the actual ability of the translator. Fans can better than pros, just like pros can be better than fans.

Demonicjester01 said:
If we go by Yen Press, just compare translations on Sword Art Online, Accel World or No Game No Life.The former two are negligible in their differences, and the latter started off with Yen Press bringing up such a horrible product that they had to fix it to a mediocre state after huge backlash. There's also Overlord, which is another that is much maligned.
That feeling when you've been reading Yen Press Overlord for more than a month without realising this...

Rip. To be fair, unlike the other three I mentioned, I don't have enough direct interaction with Yen Press' Overlord in order to make such a judgment on my own. I mentioned it separately as I noticed most of that negative outlook during the controversy about the fan translation of a special edition story a few months ago, so do take my comments on that particular novel with a grain of salt.

The other three projects, however, I think I have read enough of my own to notice their indistinguishable quality (or the meme-like quality of NGNL's original release).

"Do You Love Your Mom And Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks" was translated by YenPress and the translation has FAR higher quality than the fan translation of Vol 01.

There's also Overlord, which is another that is much maligned.

Well actually Yen Press Overlord overall is better than FanTL Overlord. There are few points where it's worse, but overall far better. I tell you this as the one who now work on profiles for ACF wiki and who reread and retranslate all key points terminology and so from japanese. Overlord Fan EngTL is TL from chinese. So in fact it's double translation with double mistakes.

I don't know how it with Yen Press cause it won't touch my country in anyway, as I have my own licence company and I do a lot of work with them discussing licence Overlord translation with Translator and Editor.

Matthew Schroeder said:
"Do You Love Your Mom And Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks" was translated by YenPress and the translation has FAR higher quality than the fan translation of Vol 01.
A few examples don't change a rule, and Yen Press' fame as a mediocre localization company indicates that it's the general rule for their releases.

Burning Full Fingers said:
Imagine Asia and Ravel saying "Mr. Ise" or "Lord Ise" all the time in the official TL though. Kinda funny, lol.
"-san" not always "Mr." and "-sama" its not always Lord (though in Ravel case it's maybe true).

If the Overlord official TL is good, we'll just have to be really hopeful on this one.

Anyway, Ishibumi seems to be setting up King Enma's appearance so I wonder if he'll finally appear in the next volume. Judging by how Erebus reacted to his refusal to join them, he's probably top ten level.

Also curious to see if Balberith will also fight on Issei's side since he's getting a development with Verrine.

I honestly have no hope at all on Yen Press ever since their translation of Magical Girl Raising Project, one of my favourite LNs, ended up being compared to NGNL by the fandom itself due to how bad it is.

I would love to see Great King Emma, Dragon Ball basically made him one of my favourite death gods lol. Balberith joining Ise on the battle with Hades would make sense.

I'm also looking forward to Eros, lol. Since Hades was worried about him meeting up with Issei.

Who knows, maybe Balberith would show up and interrupt Issei vs Verrine. Ishibumi also low-key dropped a minor flag for Ophis and Lilith ending up fighting, which makes me consider the possibility of another Ophis vs Samael.

What do you guys think about Thor joining Vali's team for the tournament? Right now they're not equipped enough to beat the major powerhouses in the tournament, and Vali has a good relationship with the Norse Gods.

Vergil Lucifer said:
Thor is locked into Isolation Barrier Field
Oh yeah, Vidar also did mention that once... RIP. Guess they'll have to stick it out for a 100% Fenrir. Though even then, I don't see them beating Indra, Typhon or Mahabali.

So only a potential Albion resurrection would work, I guess.

Maybe they could have Alphecca Tyrant user on their team. If they're related to the fake Ddraig and Albion, I could see that person being involved in a potential Albion resurrection.

Yeah, that makes sense. They really need a major boost in their team for the main stage. Especially since more gods could end up joining direct rival teams like Typhon and Ruval's.

[[1]] [[2]] I think this could be a great way to upgrade Dxd to large planet or possibly Universe+ as Loki was on the verge of destroying all of space and time and while powering up he was affecting not just the underworld but all the mythological worlds as well. And when Loki was defeated his mere essence was able to cause a fissure through the line between the worlds which was going to destroy all of space and time and if it weren't for Great Red, then all the worlds would of been annihilated and Loki would of accomplished his Goal so I believe this is a great way to upgrade them as even In shin dxd 3 Rymutaru or what ever is name is he is a manisfistation of Great Red who is able to one shot entire Planets in Issei's AxA form which would make sense as this is good evidence that Great Red keeps all the worlds stabilized and holds them together and keep them from being destroyed. Well you could argue Universe+ off this but I think large planetary is good enough

Back