• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gunvolt Speed Upgrade

There are about 2 light speed statements and there is the fact that he is called "lightspeed" Jota.

He also claims to have control over the "light of the world" which denotes the use of natural light.

Bluetrekking said:
There are about 2 light speed statements and there is the fact that he is called "lightspeed" Jota.
He also claims to have control over the "light of the world" which denotes the use of natural light.
So you vote for the upgrade?

Cropfist said:
Doesn't "you're all flash, nothing more" imply it's hyperbole?
Actually, his Septima is known as "Lightspeed" and one of the septimas ability is to shift his body into pure photons, allowing him to move at light speeds. His lasers and attacks are implied to be even faster

Correctif I'm wrong, but isn't our light speed standards quite strict? If so, not sure if this would be enough.

The rules are more lax than people made it out to be. Most light with "light-speed" statements are generally accepted unless it is contradictory.

I vaguely remember Frieza's beams also being called light speed without notable contradictions, but not being accepted. Though it could be for other reasons

• "The beam is called lightspeed by credible scientific sources.
  • It is stated to be made of photons or light itself, again by a credible scientific source."
It fits these two criteria plus the fact it moves in a straight line and when Jota turns into light, he is intangible.

I think 3/5 would be better, also do you have a video of the fight? It's been a while since I played the first gunvolt

He called his light faster than light after stating that "they say the speed of light is pretty fast" which kinda imppies he doesn't even know how fast light even is...

Also where does he turn into light? I ask because if it's when he starts phasing out, not sure if Gunvolt would scale to him.

Its pretty much whenever he disappears or moves around and there are those dark turquoise afterimages. In all examples of Jota using the photon shifting ability (except when hes moving to place his photon guns), Jota seems to be able to disappear and reappear almost instantaneously so that's pretty fast. For being the fastest character of ASG so far, his boss fight seems extremely slow

Also Jota is a 17 year old working for the richest company ever in the future, I'm sure that he knows how fast light is and is just saying that his light is even faster

I don't know, it looks like his transformation into light is literally into the light of the room rather than becoming, say, a ray of light that Gunvolt has to dodge or hit.

Also, when he moves with the afterimages, he can still be hit, so I'm not sure where the intangible thing is correct.

As for the 17-year-old working for the richest company thing, not sure how that's related to him knowing how fast the speed of light is (I mean, for example, if I asked an employee of Google or Microsoft what the speed of light is, there is a pretty big chance they may not know.) By his own words, he is using a pretty vague description of light speed "pretty fast" that he himself stated came from others before calling his light speed even faster.

Yeah okay, but he at least has to know that light is the fastest thing in the universe, i doubt he'd make such a big claim without anything to show

Let's look at the evidence:

• Description of his Septima is "lightspeed"
  • States his light is FTL
  • He calls his light "Ultra-high Speed"
  • Turns into photons while using prevasion
  • Shoots light out of a "Photon Canon"
  • His light travels in straight lines
  • He refers to his light as "rays"
Most verses with accepted real light don't even go this in depth.

In High School DxD, the light only reflected of of a mirror and was considered "real".

Or in Terraria the light simply refracted and is called real light.

Bluetrekking said:
Let's look at the evidence:
  • Description of his Septima is "lightspeed"
  • States his light is FTL
  • He calls his light "Ultra-high Speed"
  • Turns into photons while using prevasion
  • Shoots light out of a "Photon Canon"
  • His light travels in straight lines
  • He refers to his light as "rays"
Most verses with accepted real light don't even go this in depth.

In High School DxD, the light only reflected of of a mirror and was considered "real".

Or in Terraria the light simply refracted and is called real light.
lol That pretty much confirms it without question.

• describes himself to be faster than light, despite stating to be lightspeed.
  • States he heard that the speed of light is fast from other people (quite literally suggesting he doesn't know how fast it really is)
  • Every time he turns into light, (which is septima), he also becomes invisible and takes no real form. In comparison, his lasers are very tangible and visible.
  • It should also be mentioned that Gunvolt can't react to his septima, he can react to the lasers however.
I wouldn't have any issues assuming he becomes Lightspeed when using his septima as it is pretty clear he becomes real light, but it is pretty apparent this doesn't cross over for his attack or reaction speed nor for Gunvolt.

He can react to his Septima maybe not in game but a in-story voiceline he says "you can't keep up with me" (Note that he says "me" and not "lasers")

Gunvolt then says in response "Keeping up with you is a breeze"

The FTL statement is talking his lasers as he differentiates between "me" and "my light"

I'm not sure if he is referring to his septima in that statement, given a- there is nothing to keep up with (as he literally becomes the light), and b- his regular body is pretty slow in comparison to Gunvolt.

Technically my light can also refer to his literal light, I'll check the Gunvolt wiki if they have any more quotes that could help

Even so, lightspeed is lightspeed. If GV can keep up (whether its following Jota with his eyes or dodging his lightspeed lasers, then he should still be lightspeed

Plus there is another character that uses light in Gharui from ASG2. His special move could possibly use light as it produces lasers that refract off his crystals

Theres even more. In ASG2 Gunvolt fights Copen, who uses his new gun known as Border II. In the loading screen of the game Border II can show up and it is known as a "Photon Blaster". In the fights GV can dodge the light lasers fired from this gun. When you play as Copen these lasers travel instantaneously across the screen. And yes the shots travel in a straight line and do refract/reflect off of crystals

Yes that is true, that only applies to Jota. It is still heavily implied if not outright stated that Gunvolt can keep up with him in his Septima form.

I still believe his lasers are light speed since they are still fired from a photon gun and they have a lightspeed statement. Plus his lasers are still a part of his Septima. The website description states:

"He possesses the Septimal power known as "Lightspeed," which allows him to attack his foes with very powerful lasers. Formerly part of the military."

It says that his Septima allows him to shoot the lasers.

@Smash Lightspeed is lightspeed, I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying Gunvolt and Jota (reaction wise) isn't. This is particularly worsen by the fact that in gameplay you have to aimdodge his lasers and Jota cannot be reached to in his lightspeed form, with the dialouge not separating the two forms (ignoring the fact that it is impossible for Gunvolt to see Jota in his lightspeed form to begin with, making it literally Impossible.

@Blue his septima form can't even be seen by Gunvolt, much less be kept up with Gunvolt.

The lasers being lightspeed are ok in my book. Though in game, Gunvolt aimdodges. Not sure if the expanded medias change that.

Back