• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grizzly Bear vs Saltwater Crocodile

I'd say the big fat fluffy bear takes it.

Considering the Bear is faster, he could snipe the Croco before the latter can reach the pond, and even then, a bear is no slouch even in water. Being heavier and having a fat armor also makes it easier for the bear to pin the reptile down and tanks his hits.

The bear flips the croc over with its two bear hands then bites it's belly out or claws his belly until the croc guts are shown

I think, saltwater crocodile would win. Croc is larger and much physically stronger. Besides, saltie is much more aggressive and more located to the conflict, than grizzly bear.

And, yes, Belly is not a weak point of a crocodiles.

This really depends on environment the way I see it, if we're talking like a swamp and the water levels are deep enough, maybe the crocodile could win, crocodiles are incredibly stealthy and lethal hunters, having their own special techniques like the death roll to kill any animal quickly and effectively, now the bear on the other hand is a who,e new ball game, being much physically larger and having a thick and strong hide and body that will prevent the croc from just insta killing like most of its prey,

Now you can look at tnis fight like how a hippo and crocodile fight, where the hippos large and thick blubber prevents the Croc from doing anything lethal to the hippo, while also packing a massive bite force which easily tears a croc almost in half, bears ar similar in size and thickness to hippos so that's one advantage

Bears have incredible arm strength and one of their swipes will do some good damage, however crocodiles have incredibly acute reflexes and snap almost onstnelty when something gets near its mouths range, also a good edge that could give the bear trouble is it's thick, tough back, where if the Baer aims to strike could be its end, so the way I see its down to two things, environment and brains

Now the scenario puts them in a flat land with a large pond, if the crocodile can get the bear to come deep enough into the pond this could give it the win, as it will stealthy wait for him to let down its guard and go for a lite for the neck to perform the death roll, which could put down the bear in one shot, or severely wound him,

Now after analyzing everything, I will give this too the bear, okay you wonder why, well remember that second category brains, that's why. You see a bear is known to flip animals over and then crush their rib cage and organs by digging its massive claws into their bodies and placing all their wait on them. A big weakness crocodiles have is their soft under belly. Bears aren't stupid and this battle mpcould dragged near a pond but what's stopping the bear from just dragging the crocodile onto shore, or if it does end up being on the pond, the bear would jsut run back into the shore lines and the croc will most likely follow,normally in a real fight both animals would tussle and then give up and go their seperate ways

But the way I see it, with the Bears massive strength and tough exterior, it will most likely flip the gator on its back and take either a big bite on its soft neck or belly, or dig its claws into its belly and put nearly a 1000lbs of force on top it pretty much crushing the gator

Not a easy fight but the almighty bear gets this victory.

Grudgeman1706 said:
This really depends on environment the way I see it, if we're talking like a swamp and the water levels are deep enough, maybe the crocodile could win, crocodiles are incredibly stealthy and lethal hunters, having their own special techniques like the death roll to kill any animal quickly and effectively, now the bear on the other hand is a who,e new ball game, being much physically larger and having a thick and strong hide and body that will prevent the croc from just insta killing like most of its prey,
Now you can look at tnis fight like how a hippo and crocodile fight, where the hippos large and thick blubber prevents the Croc from doing anything lethal to the hippo, while also packing a massive bite force which easily tears a croc almost in half, bears ar similar in size and thickness to hippos so that's one advantage

Bears have incredible arm strength and one of their swipes will do some good damage, however crocodiles have incredibly acute reflexes and snap almost onstnelty when something gets near its mouths range, also a good edge that could give the bear trouble is it's thick, tough back, where if the Baer aims to strike could be its end, so the way I see its down to two things, environment and brains

Now the scenario puts them in a flat land with a large pond, if the crocodile can get the bear to come deep enough into the pond this could give it the win, as it will stealthy wait for him to let down its guard and go for a lite for the neck to perform the death roll, which could put down the bear in one shot, or severely wound him,

Now after analyzing everything, I will give this too the bear, okay you wonder why, well remember that second category brains, that's why. You see a bear is known to flip animals over and then crush their rib cage and organs by digging its massive claws into their bodies and placing all their wait on them. A big weakness crocodiles have is their soft under belly. Bears aren't stupid and this battle mpcould dragged near a pond but what's stopping the bear from just dragging the crocodile onto shore, or if it does end up being on the pond, the bear would jsut run back into the shore lines and the croc will most likely follow,normally in a real fight both animals would tussle and then give up and go their seperate ways

But the way I see it, with the Bears massive strength and tough exterior, it will most likely flip the gator on its back and take either a big bite on its soft neck or belly, or dig its claws into its belly and put nearly a 1000lbs of force on top it pretty much crushing the gator

Not a easy fight but the almighty bear gets this victory.
I agree that the bear could win here but I have one issue with your assessment:

The bear is not "much physically larger". An adult grizzly male in his prime is going to weigh around 700 kg. Adult male salties regularly reach 5 to 5.5 metres and 700 kg. Considering this is a large male saltie in his prime, he is likely to be 900 to 1300 kg in weight. However, if you meant that the bear is a whole new ball game for being in a completely different size range from the saltie's usual enemies, then I take this back.

Also, it is worth noting that crocs have low stamina due to the fact that lactic acid can build up quickly in their blood stream. If this fight drags on with the saltie not finishing the bear quickly, the bear could drag the tired saltie out of the water, flip it over, and rip its belly open.

@Solider, I meant as a whole new size range like you explained in your second half of the sentence. Given that most of its natural enemies and prey are on all fours and some Grizzlies have been recorded to stand up to almost 13 feet(though normally 10 feet) and fight while on its legs, and you are very much right about the stamina of crocs, forgot to mention that, nice work.

Edit: Sorry most Grizzlies are 7-8 feet standing upright, however their have been do center cases of some being nearly 10 feet tall, and one reported case of a bear weighing nearly 1600 pounds and close to 13 feet though it's only a rumor and was only 1200 pounds and 10 feet.

Bear more often than not. Crocs are crippled by certain weather conditions whereas bear can fight anytime when not hibernating. Also bear is more agile and it's claws can be used to blind the crocodile. A crocs jaw is powerful but it's primarily used for grabbing the opponent where bear use their claws for combat. But the average croc is bigger than the bear, the higher end bear weights are often outliers (bred in captivity) whereas crocs are naturally huge.

Huesito88 said:
It is a less protected area of the croc
But croc's belly still protected by belly edges which are stronger than keratin claws of a bear, and bears do not usually use claws to fight, and more often causing bites. Besides, the crocodile is much more physically stronger than a bear, and mammal will not be able to turn it in any way.

Grudgeman1706 said:
Really silly comparison. If the 2-3 ton male hippo can kill 100 kg 3m Nile crocodile, it does not mean that adult male grizzly bear weighing about 300 kg will kill the adult male saltwater crocodile weighing about 450 kg.

Besides, large Nile crocodiles weighing more than 500-600 kg, as we know, sometames kills "almost completely grown" hippopotamuses (~1 t animals). And 1 ton crocodile Gustav killed an adult male and female.

In this account 14 ft ~800 pound take 4000 pound rhino in 1.5-hours fight:

Crocodile take rhino

Bears also are not professional fighters and killers. Even a donkey can kill a grizzly:

Donkey kill grizzly bear

Saltwater crocodile, by the way, are much more often fight with individuals of their own species than most other animals.

1600 pound grizzly bear is a fake, see http://www.adn.com/article/20130509/debunking-1600-pound-man-eating-grizzly-alaska. In fact, it was a 1000-1200 pound bear. This is the weight of an average adult male saltwater crocodile. And the reliably measured crocodiles weighing more than 2,200 pounds, for example, 6.1 m and 1075 kg Lolong (there are reports of 4000 pound crocodiles, but this measurement "by eye").

Large bears, as we know, also very thick - fat can reach 50% of all weight. While ~20% of the mass of a mature male saltwater crocodile are made by his head and bone crushing jaws, and 50-60% - powerfull muscles.

There are no methods, how the bear could physically overcome a saltwater crocodile, possibly even in weight parity. While croc can easily break a bear, or grab and drag him into the water. In the water, it's over very quickly, like in this video with mugger crocodile and sloth bear:

Mugger croc kills sloth bear
Mugger croc kills sloth bear.

if the bear manages to flip the crocodile, the the bear would win

if the crocodile cattches the bear in the process, the its likely that the crocodile would win

tbh these threads have no real results and always depend on a large number of variables

so they are not easily conclusive

I think its inconclusive.

It really depends on stamina and how long the match goes. The crocodile could win, but only if the match doesn't last long. Bears are stong but if they get caught by a croc's jaw, then its over. Too much blood loss. If it goes on longer, than the bear wins because crocs don't have as much stamina, and a bear could rip them to shreads. Bears are scary af o_O but this match could go so many ways.

If I'm forced to pick one I'll go with the bear.

Huesito88 said:
The bear would win a tug of war against a croc
A large male grizzly can weigh 600 to 700 kg and a large male saltie can weigh 900 to 1300 kg. How is the grizzly going to win a tug of war against an apex predator nearly twice his own weight?

ðºðÁÐêÐâð╣Ðçð░ÐéÐïð╣ ð│ðÁð¢ðÁÐÇð░ð╗, anything can happen, donkey who was created to be fighting machine killing bear whom we don't know in what condition he was means nothing.

Otherwise, I can just say 2 alligators can't defeat cat.

https://youtu.be/5sAF8gMN9c0

Man from Shadow said:
ðºðÁÐêÐâð╣Ðçð░ÐéÐïð╣ ð│ðÁð¢ðÁÐÇð░ð╗, anything can happen, donkey who was created to be fighting machine killing bear whom we don't know in what condition he was means nothing.
Otherwise, I can just say 2 alligators can't defeat cat.

https://youtu.be/5sAF8gMN9c0
Do not compare cowardly alligators with crocodiles.

Crocodiles vs alligators
Crocodiles vs alligators

I could quote many other accounts proving that bears are not professional fighters or killers (for example, where the cougar seriously hurt 450 kg grizzly). It omnivores, not obligate carnivores.

Crocodiles didn't even stomp. I didn't deny crocodile being superior, but he isn't several leagues stronger.

You mean really fast made to hunt some of best land animals? Okay, and? Cougar could hurt crocodile also.

A puma would never go up against an adult grizzly. They'd get literally one-shot. Pumas are known to face only black bears which are less than half the size of grizzlies.

Man from Shadow said:
Crocodiles didn't even stomp. I didn't deny crocodile being superior, but he isn't several leagues stronger.

You mean really fast made to hunt some of best land animals? Okay, and? Cougar could hurt crocodile also.
I did not say that "saltwater crocodile on several leagues stronger than grizzly bear". But alligators really be in another league, in the league of smaller and less powerful predators.

Hmmm... I would like to see that leopard or a cougar
hurt adult male saltwater crocodile.)

The cinnamon bear is a type of black bear. Also, dealing with a 700 kg grizzly would be a whole different ball game compared to a 450 kg black bear (which is an outlier for black bear males).

Soldier Blue said:
The cinnamon bear is a type of black bear. Also, dealing with a 700 kg grizzly would be a whole different ball game compared to a 450 kg black bear (which is an outlier for black bear males).
Grizzly also rarely reach weigh in ~ 700 kg. In fact, i have not seen the scientific evidence of grizzly weighing more than 500 kg (perhaps in this case, the black bear been confused with grizzly because black bears also do not reach weight of 450 kg according to the scientific descriptions).

Anyway, this is an example of how the 100 kg cat can seriously injure 450 kg bear with their "little" claws and teeth. They are not as well protected.

I could easily picture the bear body slamming the croc and getting impaled on its back.

Still think the bear would win ff this is on land, Plus I'd argue bears are much more intelligent.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/arctic-bears-bear-intelligence/779/

Plus I think I like this video's take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG1NxQPorU

While the concept is... a bit silly, and they're not using the exact species for this matchup, I don't think it'll change the results much. The croc is going to have a hard time dealing any fatal damage to the bear when the croc can only lie close to the ground, while the bear can fight on its hind legs. That's a huge advantage.

And while I can't see the bear competing with that 3,700 PSI bite force or the roll of death, the crocodile likely won't have the stamina to continuously roll the bear around like that, so the bear would likely survive due to its fatness and then simply outlast the crocodile, winning by default.

I'd say the bear with mid difficulty on land, high difficulty in water.

Back