• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Herrerasaurus vs Grizzly Bear

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, these two. A Herrerasaurus has a larger holotype that went up to 6 meters in length while a coastal grizzly bear can go for around 8 feet in length (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Peninsula_brown_bear ). However, the weight is where things get iffy. The largest Herrerasaurus weighs around 350 kg while male coastal grizzlies can go for around 389 kg or even 408 kg. Both creatures typically preyed small-to-mid-sized creatures. Herrerasaurus usually preys on Rhynchosaurs while grizzlies are mostly omnivorous. Herrerasaurus is claimed to have eaten Ischigualastia, but the Wikipedia article on the latter says "Citation Needed," so the claim is likely unreliable. Grizzlies have preyed on moose, elk, caribou, bighorn sheep, bison, black bears, and even muskoxen, although they typically prefer to eat the young or an injured animal over trying to have beef with a healthy adult.

For this match, I'm pitting a large Herrerasaurus against a coastal grizzly. Both combatants would be 20 meters apart. Everything else should be SBA.

Here are their profiles:

Herrerasaurus' Profile
Grizzly Bear's Profile

Who would win?

Herrerasaurus: 0
Grizzly Bear:
7 (AStrangeverse, King Dom470, AThe1412, Peppersalt43, Oiguana2701, XSOULOFCINDERX, Da3ggman)
Inconclusive: 0

Last edited:
Herrerasaurus is more agile but the grizzly has a pretty decent Ap advantage. If the dino manages to get on the grizzly's back it could start biting into its neck which certainly wouldn’t feel good, Considering they might have hunted Ischigualastia the weight difference isn't that much of a factor here.

Might go with the dino here since their capable of bringing down predators who are bigger than themselves, It clearly has the agility advantage and their speed is exactly the same.

Did the Herrerasaurus has the Panniculus Carnosus? If not, then its going to be taking a lot more damage from the bear than its going to from him.

Bears are pretty agile in grappling matches, which this fight would inevitably turn into

factoring in the AP, LS, and Durability advantage, I don't see how the bear wouldn't just outmuscle the dino and land a death blow on em
Well first off the bear is only baseline street level if i'm not mistaken so the bear wouldn’t oneshot. Second the bear has the lifting strength advantage but the dino likely hunted animals that were 2000 kg so they'd have experience in taking down animals much larger than themselves, And while i don't doubt the bear is very agile Herrerasaurus is easily more agile and could jump on the bears back and start slowly chipping away at its thick skin. Also this is in central park so the dino could use the foliage as a way to get the jump on the bear.

Bears are pretty agile in grappling matches, which this fight would inevitably turn into

factoring in the AP, LS, and Durability advantage, I don't see how the bear wouldn't just outmuscle the dino and land a death blow on em
And believe it or not the dinosaur would have the size advantage since coastal grizzlies are only 2.4384 meters in length while the Herrerasaurus is 3 meters in length. They also only weigh 408.233 Kg which isn't that much of a gap considering they are both have peak human lifting strength now.

Second the bear has the lifting strength advantage but the dino likely hunted animals that were 2000 kg so they'd have experience in taking down animals much larger than themselves
Those dinosaurs weren't predators that knew how to wrestle and could run faster than it.
And while i don't doubt the bear is very agile Herrerasaurus is easily more agile and could jump on the bears back and start slowly chipping away at its thick skin.
If the dinosaur gets on its back its going to get ******* slammed against a tree. Also, you have yet to explain how it is more agile in any way. Considering that a bear can easily fight and shrug off swipes and bites equivalent or greater than the Herrersuarus, its not gonna do jackshit.
Also this is in central park so the dino could use the foliage as a way to get the jump on the bear.
Nowhere in their profile does it say they could climb; hell, the bear is going to have more of an advantage since they are really good at climbing, you guessed it, trees!

Well first off the bear is only baseline street level if i'm not mistaken so the bear wouldn’t oneshot. Second the bear has the lifting strength advantage but the dino likely hunted animals that were 2000 kg so they'd have experience in taking down animals much larger than themselves, And while i don't doubt the bear is very agile Herrerasaurus is easily more agile and could jump on the bears back and start slowly chipping away at its thick skin.

idk where you're getting this agility edge the Herrera has over the Bear. it's speed caps at 25 mph, compared to the bear's 35+ mph on top of a 70 mph paw swipe

the dino also ain't a feline. they're a theropod, a group that isn't particularly notorious for boasting exceptional levels of agility

and like, I don't see how the herrara would opt for jumping on the back of the bear, when:

1. it'll be stopped dead in its tracks by the bear simply rearing up

and 2. the fact animals with a similar ambush style only ever do so to prey significantly larger than themselves. here? they're both nearly identical in mass and size

Also this is in central park so the dino could use the foliage as a way to get the jump on the bear.

bears have a good sense of smell and hearing, and I don't see what in Central Park is going to conceal the presence of a bear-sized dinosaur

Those dinosaurs weren't predators that knew how to wrestle and could run faster than it.
Sure but i doubt they enjoyed being killed so they likely wouldve fought back.
If the dinosaur gets on its back its going to get ***** slammed against a tree. Also, you have yet to explain how it is more agile in any way. Considering that a bear can easily fight and shrug off swipes and bites equivalent or greater than the Herrersuarus, its not gonna do jackshit.
They're slimmer than bears, it would stand to reason that a quick, agile dinosaur would be pretty agile. Especially since they could hunt really big prey.
Nowhere in their profile does it say they could climb; hell, the bear is going to have more of an advantage since they are really good at climbing, you guessed it, trees!
I was more implying bushes and stuff. Also a bear wouldn’t climb a tree in a fight like this not only does it provide little to no advantage but they are way to big to genuinely get out of sight via climbing

And believe it or not the dinosaur would have the size advantage since coastal grizzlies are only 2.4384 meters in length while the Herrerasaurus is 3 meters in length. They also only weigh 408.233 Kg which isn't that much of a gap considering they are both have peak human lifting strength now.
Bears are Class 1 lifting strength, which is going to help them since they are naturally good grapplers and wrestlers.

a extra few inches granted from its tail wouldn't matter in the long run, as the bear is still the more larger of the two

and where's this "peak human lifting strength" for the bear coming from? only Herrara is Peak in LS, the bear is Class 1

a extra few inches granted from its tail wouldn't matter in the long run, as the bear is still the more larger of the two

and where's this "peak human lifting strength" for the bear coming from? only Herrara is Peak in LS, the bear is Class 1
coastal grizzlies are the specific bear being used here and they only weigh 408.233 kg

Also extra few inches? it has almost 2 feet on the bear

Sure but i doubt they enjoyed being killed so they likely wouldve fought back.

that goes for literally any animal deemed prey

They're slimmer than bears, it would stand to reason that a quick, agile dinosaur would be pretty agile. Especially since they could hunt really big prey.

they definitely are not slim enough to net them any notable advantage, they're weights are in the same ballpark

Yeah im aware. But the advantage is less than 2X now

in real world fights, size (mass) matters

so ya point is moot

Forget i ever said anything about stealth because yeah i see now that its not really a viable option

aight

Even if thats the case they would be around the same size with the herrera having maybe a slight edge in size

that extra length comes from the tail

Herrara having a slight edge in length wouldn't matter in the long run

in real world fights, size matters
Obviously but now the size difference isn't brutal
so ya point is moot
Did you even read the context behind what my original comment was actually about?

I was saying the herrera taking down super large herbivores would mean something in a fight where the dino is fighting an opponent who is heavier than itself. So no my point is not mute.
that extra length comes from the tail

Herrara having a slight edge in length wouldn't matter in the long run
I get that but even if that extra 2 feet comes from his tail they'd still be roughly the same size

Obviously but now the size difference isn't brutal

it wasn't even that brutal before, if anything, it's easier for the Coastal now that it's a fair amount larger

Did you even read the context behind what my original comment was actually about?

I was saying the herrera taking down super large herbivores would mean something in a fight where the dino is fighting an opponent who is heavier than itself. So no my point is not mute.

I read what ya said, and it still isn't convincing me

and like, so does the bear, and even then, why would that matter here? that's legitimately just special hunting tactics they use for particularly large prey, the same kinda shizz that felines like tigers use. the latter of which has lost a number of head-on fights with bears. so who's to say the exact same won't happen here, especially since Herrara isn't agile like a Tiger?

the dino also ain't gon' be getting any sort of maneuver on the bear when it's the superior grappler, with a LS advantage that would render any attempts on its rear obsolete

I get that but even if that extra 2 feet comes from his tail they'd still be roughly the same size

you clearly don't seem to get it if ya keep bringing it up, the extra bit of length is not gonna matter

it wasn't even that brutal before, if anything, it's easier for the Coastal now that it's a fair amount larger
It's not even that much larger thats the thing tho. Also based on the fact that op said that the largest herrera could go up to 350 kg that would make it even closer
okay, sure, it hunts prey larger than itself sometimes

but like, so does the bear, and even then, why would that matter here? that's legitimately just special hunting tactics they use for particularly large prey, the same kinda shizz that felines like tigers use. the latter of which has lost a number of head-on fights with bears. so who's to say the exact same won't happen here, especially since Herrara isn't agile like a Tiger?

the dino also ain't gon' be getting any sort of maneuver on the bear when it's the superior grappler, with a LS advantage that would render any attempts on its rear obsolete
2000 Kg compared to herrera's 227 kg weight is much more impressive when compared to a moose’s 700 kg compared to a bears 400 kg
you clearly don't seem to get it if ya keep bringing it up, the extra bit of length is not gonna matter
Thats not what im saying.

I'm saying that even given it's maybe 2 or 3 foot tail it would only be ever so slightly smaller than a bear so the size difference is negligible.

It's not even that much larger thats the thing tho. Also based on the fact that op said that the largest herrera could go up to 350 kg that would make it even closer

that would still mean the Coastal is larger, and would still have a much easier time overpowering the Herrara than vice versa

2000 Kg compared to herrera's 227 kg weight is much more impressive when compared to a moose’s 700 kg compared to a bears 400 kg

I see you haven't read most of that part of my rebuttal

it'd be viable for a face-to-face fight if Herrara physically overpowered its larger prey, instead of targeting the large weak points like any sensible predator would

Thats not what im saying.

I'm saying that even given it's maybe 2 or 3 foot tail it would only be ever so slightly smaller than a bear so the size difference is negligible.

that is exactly what you're saying, you just continue to misunderstand the main point

Herrara would still get outgrappled and eventually killed

I see you haven't read most of that part of my rebuttal

it'd be viable for a face-to-face fight if Herrara physically overpowered its larger prey, instead of targeting the large weak points like any sensible predator would
I did I just didn’t have anyway to argue against it so I ignored it 🗿
that is exactly what you're saying, you just continue to misunderstand the main point

Herrara would still get outgrappled and eventually killed
Nuh uh 🗿 (I agree the bear would win now)

I mean he didn't say HOW the dino can use the foliage. The dino can still hide and stalk the bear in the foliage... But then again, I don't think that means jack when a bear can get agitated by a human 150 feet away from them.

Back