• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grey Matter vs Pickle Rick

KieranH10

VS Battles
Retired
Thought I'd revive this since it died in the last forum...

Grey Matter vs Pickle Rick

Fight takes place in an office building, both are allowed to use this environment to their advantage.

Both sides have 5 minutes prep.
Starting distance is 10 metres.

Rick starts with his rat suit, but not his laser
Rick cannot use the Phoenix Project, if he dies, he's dead...

Speed equal.

Win via KO or death.

Votes:
Grey Matter: 1
(Daddybrawl)

Pickle Rick:

Last edited:
Hm. Interesting match.
5 Minutes prep doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a lot for a few Super geniuses. Ngl Grey Matter’s page is a tad outdated, but there’s a current CRT going on so we’ll work with what we’ve got.
Grey Matter is very likely going to not create inventions out of the environment, and instead improvise the current environment to work in his favor. He’s known to screw with AC/Heat, and rig things such as pipes to attack opponents (once broke open a Coolant Pipe and froze 2 people at once with it)
Pickle Rick is far more likely to actually build things from the environment. He built the Rat Suit out of, well, a Rat, and a Laser Gun out of a few batteries. I can foresee him managing to rebuild a laser and more out of the office equipment, as well as forsee Traps placed by Grey Matter.

Grey Matter’s going to have the Intelligence and the Mobility advantage. He can stick to and climb walls, and escape from grasps easily due to a slick substance covering his body. He’s also probably smaller than a Pickle, due to being 4 inches tall, whereas a Pickle is 5 inches (that’s a Google Result, may be wrong). He has the Intelligence advantage due to being rated higher, as a Supergenius, having previously destroyed Reality-Warping devices, fixed and repaired 2 Omnitrice at once, and unlocked the Master Control when utilized by Ken. He should also have One Nonillion IQ, which I believe is higher than Rick.

Overall, I’ll have to give it to.... Grey Matter. Grey Matter, while lacking in Attack Potency, knows how to utilize his environment on more of a Hax side of things. Manipulating Coolant Pipes to freeze enemies, making machines malfunction to zap or fire at people, or other examples are all in-character for him to do, not even in a fight, just normally. He commonly prefers utilizing a Mobility Advantage to run away and hide from his enemies. Rick, if I recall, far more prefers building weaponry out of his environment, leaning moreso on the AP and Range side than the Hax side. He can probably easily rebuild a 9-B Laser out of the environment, which will give him far more range and more than enough AP to deal with Grey Matter. However, he’s facing a far more Mobile, Intelligent character, who can also probably find ways to either take apart or disable his equipment if needed. Grey Matter also prefers to Incap rather than Kill, but I don’t know much about the Clone Machine so I can’t say much there.

Tl;dr voting Grey Matter, Grey Matter‘s smarter, more mobile and prefers Incap and Trapping methods over killing methods in-character.

The Phoenix stuff makes all that invalid, read his profile. This is a stomp if that's not disallowed.

Pickle Rick seems to have better advantages here, he can do a larger amount of deadly traps in a more unrealistic timeframe, blow up the area as an option and kill GM in h2h as another. What GM can do would need to first not get predicted by Rick, second not get dodged, and third end the battle there without Rick being able to fix that. The traps Rick can do have this issues with GM to a far lesser extend and the pressure Rick can make with a weapon like a laser would either make the stuff GM makes useless, kill him if it reaches him, or situationally make him dodge it in the hopes that he could quickly counter it with the environment, which can only work for so long as aiming>dodging.

Rick takes this even with the Resurrection restricted, which it has to be.

For the first one, would him being resurrected in a Stronger, different Key not be automatically disallowed? This is a match between Pickle Rick and Grey Matter, not Normal Rick and Grey Matter.

I disagree. Grey Matter is practically known for stupid traps in an unrealistic timeframe. Iirc he fixed the Omnitrix in a few seconds (as it was about to explode), and took little to no time reformatting several Vending Machines to change their function from Vending to Firing Food at people. He was capable of creating a Weapon that shot rays as bright as the Sun, while being chased by the equivalent of Frankensteins Monster and a Ghost who could climb through walls, and disabled a Drone in mere moments as the Omnitrix was glitching and constantly switching him between one alien to another. While he would likely lose in h2h, being smaller and less experienced, he doesn’t really ever have to get in h2h Range as it’s in-character to go off and hide in other areas, utilizing his Mobility to escape enemies easily. Speed Equal means Aiming = Dodging, and with Grey Matter likely going off and hiding somewhere he has the advantage. As the smarter individual, he’s more likely to predict what Rick does and less so getting predicted by Rick, even with Ricks experience dealing with smarter characters, as I believe Grey Matter has that experience too.
Plus, how in-character would it be to kill himself, alongside Grey Matter by blowing everything up in the room, ignoring the fact that Grey Matter prefers Incap over Killing? If I recall, he hates his Clone machine and even tried to disable it, although I could be remembering that wrong (It May have been Morty who disabled it?). Also, during the Pickle Rick episode he never once attempted to make a trap, always preferring building weaponry and going on a killing spree, so I’m not sure how in-character it is for Pickle Rick (specifically Pickle Rick) to decide to make traps around the office, especially against a smaller, more agile opponent.

Last edited:
Iirc he fixed the Omnitrix in a few seconds (as it was about to explode)
Irrelevant as the tech of it can be manipulated, having that fixed says nothing about making deadly traps in an office building.
took little to no time reformatting several Vending Machines to change their function from Vending to Firing Food at people.
If he tries something like it here that's advantageous for Rick for the reasons I gave above.
He was capable of creating a Weapon that shot rays as bright as the Sun, while being chased by the equivalent of Frankensteins Monster and a Ghost who could climb through walls
You're being dishonest there, he was in a rather big place where to hide with sufficient technology for him to manipulate.
and disabled a Drone in mere moments as the Omnitrix was glitching and constantly switching him between one alien to another.
Doesn't translate to him making up better traps or weapons.
he doesn’t really ever have to get in h2h Range as it’s in-character to go off and hide in other areas, utilizing his Mobility to escape enemies easily.
Sure thing, but it doesn't stop being a case should it come down to it, and quite likely so if Rick actively chases him with or without a weapon, Rick also having a pretty good mobility, if potentially slightly less practical.
Speed Equal means Aiming = Dodging
Not really, the vague idea of speed amps are allowed and so making stuff that can throw other stuff faster than one's own speed counts as it.
with Grey Matter likely going off and hiding somewhere he has the advantage
You say so as if Rick wouldn't.
As the smarter individual, he’s more likely to predict what Rick does and less so getting predicted by Rick, even with Ricks experience dealing with smarter characters, as I believe Grey Matter has that experience too.
This is outright false, we're dealing here with different types of intelligence and you just want to apply them all as the same. GM isn't smarter than Rick in the regards here as nothing in his profile and said in the thread proves it, he's not going to predict how going into a room or moving something could trigger something that would gore him while everything he has to offer is far less deadly, more slow and more realistic due to the environment he has to work with.
Plus, how in-character would it be to kill himself, alongside Grey Matter by blowing everything up in the room, ignoring the fact that Grey Matter prefers Incap over Killing? If I recall, he hates his Clone machine and even tried to disable it, although I could be remembering that wrong (It May have been Morty who disabled it?).
"Read his profile" was meant to save my time too, not just yours, you should see through things like that. If Rick sets things to blow up he can just move outside the range of it, he has even made a device to propel himself with in that ep. and there's no reason at all he would just kill himself when trying to take out someone.
Also, during the Pickle Rick episode he never once attempted to make a trap, always preferring building weaponry and going on a killing spree, so I’m not sure how in-character it is for Pickle Rick (specifically Pickle Rick) to decide to make traps around the office, especially against a smaller, more agile opponent.
See the episode again. Even if that was true, it would work just as well for Rick to just go and chase him once properly equipped.

Irrelevant as the tech of it can be manipulated, having that fixed says nothing about making deadly traps in an office building.
Except it’s very much Relevant- you’re just missing the point. I’m providing examples of his intellect and feats of him repairing and damaging devices, seeing as how this is going to pretty much be a battle of ‘Who builds the better Trap’. In this case, the Omnitrix is relevant due to its complexity- it essentially creates Matter, at the time functioned as a Package made of data containing DNA signatures, and uses so much energy it would blow up the Universe (which is exactly what was happening at the moment). I bring it up because he fixed an exploding Omnitrix in a few moments, as his own Omnitrix was getting fixed, and therefore is evidence of how good he is with Technology and Pressure.
If he tries something like it here that's advantageous for Rick for the reasons I gave above.
I don’t see any reasons given why that would be Advantageous for Rick
You're being dishonest there, he was in a rather big place where to hide with sufficient technology for him to manipulate.
See the 1st thing I said in this post. It was evidence of him building things quickly, while under pressure amid being hunted down, rather than a “hah he can build stupid things from nothing” Feat.
Doesn't translate to him making up better traps or weapons.
Ah, except it does. What I didn’t tell you was that the Drone was an Alien Drone, that he’d never screwed around with (Tech-wise, he’s fought them before), as he was battling his worst enemy who had been trying to kill him for months, and his Omnitrix was rapidly switching him from alien to alien. I’d say that’s a solid intelligence feat, if not Agility or Pressure feat.
Sure thing, but it doesn't stop being a case should it come down to it, and quite likely so if Rick actively chases him with or without a weapon, Rick also having a pretty good mobility, if potentially slightly less practical.
That’s true. My main point was that Grey Matter will actively avoid H2H with his superior mobility, rather than choose to die via Rat Suit.
Not really, the vague idea of speed amps are allowed and so making stuff that can throw other stuff faster than one's own speed counts as it.
That’s actually advantageous to Grey Matter. Remember, I’m arguing he’ll build traps out of the environment, such as Vending Machine launchers or things that’ll freeze Rick solid, rather than Laser Guns or Armor that Rick would probably make.
You say so as if Rick wouldn't.
I mean, I don’t think he will. Even when fighting that guy who was as smart, If not Smarter than him in the jungle, I don’t believe he ran away to make traps. Instead, he stood his ground and made weaponry to duel him. As Pickle Rick, I don’t recall him setting traps, I remember him slaughtering a bunch of Rats by hand after being flushed down a sewer.
This is outright false, we're dealing here with different types of intelligence and you just want to apply them all as the same. GM isn't smarter than Rick in the regards here as nothing in his profile and said in the thread proves it, he's not going to predict how going into a room or moving something could trigger something that would gore him while everything he has to offer is far less deadly, more slow and more realistic due to the environment he has to work with.
You mean besides Grey Matter being rated as smarter on the profile, besides all that I’ve tried to list as Intelligence feats, besides Grey Matter’s One Nonillion IQ? I don’t know about you, but I’ve tried repeatedly to try and solidify Grey Matter’s intellect on here. He should also have a bunch of abilities such as Advanced Development on his profile but I’ll tackle that after the current crt
His entire species‘ past is based off of avoiding more agile, stronger, and smarter beings than Grey Matter himself. That species is now extinct. Whenever he enters a fight, he acknowledges he’s not a fighter and repeatedly determines what exactly he could do here, or what could happen to him (and that’s from a Quote + things that actually happen). He repeatedly takes on bigger, or smarter opponents, and lives. Even if Rick was smarter, I could imagine Grey Matter predicting what he could do.

"Read his profile" was meant to save my time too, not just yours, you should see through things like that. If Rick sets things to blow up he can just move outside the range of it, he has even made a device to propel himself with in that ep. and there's no reason at all he would just kill himself when trying to take out someone.
Alright, if you say so. Not sure how well Explosives would do against an opponent who’s smarter, more agile and actively trying to rig the environment against you, but blowing Grey Matter up is a wincon, I’ll give him that.
See the episode again. Even if that was true, it would work just as well for Rick to just go and chase him once properly equipped.
Sadly, I currently don’t have the resources nor time to go and rewatch the episode, so I’m going off of what I remember and what a few other people remember. I don’t recall him setting traps, I remember him hunting and doing a lot of fighting by hand, at least a lot more of that than Traps, so I’m going with that at the moment. And while Rick could probably hunt down Grey Matter after equipping himself with powerful Armor and Weapons, what I’m wagering is that the many traps Grey Matter’s going to set should be able to give him the win.

Back