• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Greek Gods additions and Respect Thread.

@Hellbeast

I read through your entries on Gaea and even used Ctrl + F to be sure. "All Worlds" is never stated in the statements you've posted.

That's still speculative and not implied by the text at all. The Greeks did believe in and knew about other planets, as our English word for planet is derived from Greek in the first place.

I don't see any citations in that article you posted for infinite universes. The paper itself is trying to apply the Hellenic religion to real-life physics, making it extremely retroactive.

You're again using a philosopher's interpretation of a text to justify feats that aren't there in the original canon.

1) You sure it was there when i checked.

2) They did know of other planets of course but again it mentions "She feeds all the creatures that are in the worlds"

3)
What about the second link?

4) See my previous points regarding this

@Hellbeast

I went through your entire blog.

"All the creatures that are in the worlds" is explicitly referring to "all that go upon the goodly land, and all that are in the paths of the seas, and all that fly". Meaning all of the creatures on earth, in the sea, and in the sky.

That's still not multiversal by any stretch of the imagination and you're taking things out of context.

It still doesn't change the fact that a philosopher's interpretation =/= actual mythology. If you don't have the quotes in-context, then nothing is going to happen because it doesn't matter what someone outside of the main source thinks.

Wait, if we're using Aristarchus's universe size, the profiles need to be revised. Aristarchus held a heliocentric model of the universe and nobody accepted that at the time. He was also born 400 years after Hesiod and Homer, so yeah, it's not at all accurate to Greek Myths.

@DMB

Not all of the gods. Entities like Nyx and Chaos, sure, but marriage existed before Hera for instance.

1) So if we cannot use the old cosmology estimates then how do we proceed? Do we rate the feats as we modernly would?

2) Actually im pretty sure Repp that Zeus was already an Abstract Being with the whole Concept Manip prior to his ascension and i think Matt said something about the other Olympians being the same.

From what I see there's no chance of Orphic being higher then Low 2-C, Nyx should be High 3-A, Type 5 Immortality is neither here nor there, Charybdis may be downgraded and we may have to revise our old views on the Greek Cosmology since they use Aristarchus' calculations

And how large was the cosmos in Aristarchus' calculations?

Okay. And what size should we use instead?

I said like a year ago that it is almost impossible to effectively put a numerical value in mythical cosmologies, and that I feel that trying to classify their characters based on that is flawed.

I think that we need some form of conclusion here regarding how we should handle the issue in question.

Well, I'm still neutral on the Multiversal/Type 5 Immortality stuff, Charybdis's calc got shot down, and I'm fine with about everything else... that's about all I can say at this point.

I'm flatly against Multiversal Greek Mythology since it requires us to deliberately misinterpret the text and uses modern-day interpretation rather than the actual original text.

Deathless gods gets mentioned frequently throughout the Odyssey and the Iliad among other texts, but I'm not sure if they're literally deathless or if it's just referring to their ageless immortality.

Well, Greek Mythology immortality is very hard to quantify. The embodiment of death cannot kill any god, and not even the strongest god can kill the weakest ones.

@Matt

But Zeus ca depower other gods and render them mortals as well as raise mortals to the level of a god (i.e. Hercules).

True.

Ouranos also couldn't come back together after being ripped to pieces either even though he wasn't "dead".

Back