• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

feec2334-80a9-4223-84b9-b481bd25486c

There are a lot of memorable characters in God of War Ragnarok, but perhaps none more so than Heimdall, the Watchman of the Aesir. Not only is his boss fight super annoying thanks to his ability to slow down time and dash around the arena at will, but every word he says just makes you want to punch him in the mouth.

Apparently, that was all by design. In an interview with IGN, God of War Ragnarok director Eric Williams explained the creation of Heimdall and why, in his words, he’s a "dick at his core."

It all started with Heimdall’s power. It allows him to see into the future to either see his opponent’s moves or even offer predictions on what could come to pass. Williams said, "We try to look at all these gods where they have these abilities, but they're not always good. And I don't mean that in a sense of their nature. The ability's not always a good thing."

If you’ll recall from the original God of War, Baldur was invincible at the cost of being unable to feel anything--pleasure or pain. "Imagine what that would do to you as a person if you can't feel anything at all. It's going to drive you crazy at some point," Williams added. "So we were like, 'Well, if you could always see what people's intentions are, what would that do to you?' And he's just like, you can't be around people. He's like, 'Everybody's gross. They always want something or there's a reason behind it.' So he's just kind of shut off."

Once Heimdall’s personality was defined, it was just a matter of giving him some awful things to say to Kratos and Atreus as well as giving him "the most punchable face," which involved some gold teeth. Then it was just a matter of making a boss fight that makes you want to drive your DualSense through the screen.

You don't always have to go to the game's director for explanations in Ragnarok. The game itself explains why Kratos can't use his old abilities from the original Greek-themed God of War games.

Here

I wonder if there's any value to Atreus' class system.

Fodder (wrecked by Atreus): All Wolf varieties, all Nightmare varieties, Brood, Tatzelwurm

Grunt (somewhat of a challenge to Atreus): Dark Elf/Summoner/Warrior (Warriors >> Dark Elfs), all Draugr varieties (Heavy Draugr >> Draugr), all Hel-Walkers except Hel-Revenants, most Reavers, Legion, Shadow

Brute (in the same league or stronger than Atreus): All Wulver varieties, Dark Elf Lord, Hel-Revenants, Travelers, Viken

Monster: All Ancient varieties, all Ogre varieties, all Troll varieties

Elite: Norse Gods and Valkyries, Gullveig, Hræzlyr, Helheim Bridge Keeper, Dark Elf King

This feels so trippy. I'm fighting Gna, the last Valkyrie of Odin, but while I was fighting her, it suddenly felt as though all my actions weren't my own, like I was just doing it instinctively. For some reason, it felt as though my surroundings, the couch, the tv I was looking at, weren't really there, like I was having a dream. I sometimes get vivid dreams from earlier in my life, to the point that it feels as though my past was a dream. I'm positive that the reason I'm feeling this way is because I spent like maybe 10-12 hours fighting against Sigrun in GoW difficulty in the previous game. Obviously, Gna's extremely similar to Sigrun, nearly the same movesets, and even the background music is the same. I got so used to memorizing her movements and trying to beat her while listening to her mid-fight comments and the background music, that the memories feel so vivid in my head. So it's like when I was fighting Gna, instead, it's actually a dream I'd be having the night after I'd failed to beat Sigrun, but imagining a different valkyrie and setting instead. Doesn't that sound crazy?

Last edited:
I wonder if there's any value to Atreus' class system.

Fodder (wrecked by Atreus): All Wolf varieties, all Nightmare varieties, Brood, Tatzelwurm

Grunt (somewhat of a challenge to Atreus): Dark Elf/Summoner/Warrior (Warriors >> Dark Elfs), all Draugr varieties (Heavy Draugr >> Draugr), all Hel-Walkers except Hel-Revenants, most Reavers, Legion, Shadow

Brute (in the same league or stronger than Atreus): All Wulver varieties, Dark Elf Lord, Hel-Revenants, Travelers, Viken

Monster: All Ancient varieties, all Ogre varieties, all Troll varieties

Elite: Norse Gods and Valkyries, Gullveig, Hræzlyr, Helheim Bridge Keeper, Dark Elf King
Yo those scan seems interseting
From where You got them?

Do you guys ever wonder what happened to some of the other Norse gods? I'm specifically thinking about Odin's brothers, Vili and Vé. For such powerful Aesir gods, you'd have to think that they would be as powerful as Odin, and yet their current fate is never mentioned. I mean, they helped Odin kill Ymir. I guess it can't be helped, since adding such characters would've needed even more time and development to make them feel natural to the story. Who knows, maybe in the next game they might play a role, or they might just be forgotten. It's a shame, but oh well.
Vili and Ve drop off in the myths too, my headcanon is one of them was better known as Tyr
Hm Vanaheim crater does say Thor is the most powerful of all gods , likely in norse , could be a good explaination for his scaling in his profile.
Yep so Thor would be the gatekeeper and only Odin is > him
Also btw do Hades have any answer to low-godly regen?
Not unless the opponent is weak to Soul Hax iirc

These 1v1's are ******* fun. The best part of the multiplayer. I love how dude got his head cut off just for the announcer to say "Knockout" lmao.

Also, more use of the Essence of Hyperion at 1:32. His opponent reacts to it, which we can use for extra justification for Kratos speed rating. RW's too

Oh wait I already posted it lmao. Perhaps this could be calced? Could get decent results

Oh wait I already posted it lmao. Perhaps this could be calced? Could get decent results
The Warrior of Zeus just zips across the arena, the other guy doesn't make an attempt to run up with him or catch him. But I see no reason to keep the folk at Hypersonic, they should just be MHS+ because of being able to at least react to and parry the Olympian lightning bolts.

Kratos and the Dioscuri Twins Castor and Pollux should just be FTL outright because WoG confirms they're straight up swifter than the Redeemed Warrior even if the latter uses Essence of Hyperion, which itself is a neutered version of Zeus's own personal dash.

Back