• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Here's a problem, Ymir didn't create the realms, Odin did, time existed before Ymir and is stated to be young when he was born (A greater timestream than the realms themselves), nothing existed before Ginnungagap.
Ginnungagap is the great void similar to Chaos from the Greek world, so yeah. Nothing existed before it. Ymir was a being of pure creation born from the primordial fire and water clashing in the great void. Odin created the realms from his flesh. I still don't see how does this make the 9 realms universal in size.

Ginnungagap is the great void similar to Chaos from the Greek world, so yeah. Nothing existed before it. Ymir was a being of pure creation born from the primordial fire and water clashing in the great void. Odin created the realms from his flesh. I still don't see how does this make the 9 realms universal in size.
1. The realms are literal alternate planes of existence.

2. They have their own separate stars and moons. That on its own would make them star-sized dimensions bare minimum if nothing else.

3. Matt Sophos visibly confirms the realms to have their own stars, constellations and galaxies and such, and also confirms them to have their own separate outer spaces as a result.

4. Realm travel will land you in the equivalent location of the realm you travelled from regardless of where you start the journey.

5. Ymir's head forming the outer space is blatantly exclusive for Midgard, it doesn't show the skull forging the sky for the other realms simultaneously either. Unless you wanna tell me that these "different universe" suddenly share the entirety of Midgard's skybox.

Again, no. They ARE those alternate universes.
They were stated to exist on "different planes of existence" in the game by Freya. The novel had the same statement. So, nope.
1. The realms are literal alternate planes of existence.

2. They have their own separate stars and moons. That on its own would make them star-sized dimensions bare minimum if nothing else.

3. Matt Sophos visibly confirms the realms to have their own stars, constellations and galaxies and such, and also confirms them to have their own separate outer spaces as a result.

4. Realm travel will land you in the equivalent location of the realm you travelled from regardless of where you start the journey.

5. Ymir's head forming the outer space is blatantly exclusive for Midgard, it doesn't show the skull forging the sky for the other realms simultaneously either. Unless you wanna tell me that these "different universe" suddenly share the entirety of Midgard's skybox.
1. They exist on different planes of existence i.e. in mirror universes.

2. The stars by Surtr came AFTER the Space-Time of the mirror universes and the 7 realms were created from Ymir. Not only that, each realm has its "own" outer space as they exist across 7 mirror universes.

3. Refer to point 2.

4. Matt also said in the same interview that the 9 realms are geographical mirrors of each other. So that explains it.

5. GoW: R had Mimir confirming that ALL the realms were created by Odin from Ymir's flesh (except for the 2 primordial realms). Ymir was also a being of pure creation born from primordial fire and ice clashing in the great void, so it makes logical sense for him to create these mirror universes and later the realms were forged from his flesh by Odin.

Also, don't forget that Bruno called Midgard "earth". The World Serpent encircles Midgard i.e. the earth, NOT the universe. The realms are also shown as spherical planets resting on the Yggdrasil's strands in the game's murals. Even Freya said that the Yggdrasil cuts between the space (i.e. the 7 mirror universes) to house the realms on its branches.

They were stated to exist on "different planes of exist" in the game by Freya. The novel had the same statement. So, nope.
They are those alternate planes if you loko close.

1. They exist on different planes of existence i.e. in mirror universes.
Like Gilver asked, tell me, what are these "mirror universes"?

2. The stars by Surtr came AFTER the Space-Time of the mirror universes and the 7 realms were created from from Ymir. And each realm has its "own" outer space, for they exist across 7 mirror universes.
The space-time of Yggdrasil far surpasses that of the mirror universes like an overarching timeline.

Also what would this change? Surtr still significantly damaged the tree and shook the tree to its core which would have far and wide consequences for these other universes as well in tandem.

3. Refer to point 2.
Refer to my retort to that.

4. Matt also said in the same interview that the 9 realms are geographical mirror of each other. So that explains it.
And? How does this debunk the realms having their own same stars and constellations?

5. GoW: R had Mimir confirming that ALL the realms were created by Odin from Ymir's flesh (except for the 2 primordial realms). Ymir was also a being of pure creation born from primordial fire and ice clashing in the great void, so it makes logical sense for him to create these mirror universes and later the realms were forged from his flesh by Odin.
And how would that change Yggdrasil being 2-C? If anything, you're furthering the wank because Surtr's act of damaging the Yggdrasil and shaking it would have massive repercussions for the other universes involved within those trees.

Also, don't forget that Bruno called Midgard "earth". The World Serpent encircles Midgard i.e. the earth, NOT the universe.
And? How does this debunk the notion of the Sun and the Moon being in Midgard as well?

The realms are also shown as spherical planets resting on the Yggdrasil's strands in the game's murals.
Refer to what Planck said prior.

Even Freya said that the Yggdrasil cuts between the space (i.e. the 7 mirror universes) to house the realms on its branches.
Freya then states the Yggdrasil transcends time and space so IDK what you're getting on about here.

Also, don't forget that Bruno called Midgard "earth". The World Serpent encircles Midgard i.e. the earth, NOT the universe. The realms are also shown as spherical planets resting on the Yggdrasil's strands in the game's murals. Even Freya said that the Yggdrasil cuts between the space (i.e. the 7 mirror universes) to house the realms on its branches.
Also you do realize that this literally implies the Greek Pantheon to be within the 9 Realms, yes? Which is heavily contradicted by Geographical Divides and Realms not being interchangeable. Its own systems would lie in direct conflict with that of the Norse, majorly, the Underworld aspects. And GOW3 being a thing.

They are those alternate planes if you loko close.

Like Gilver asked, tell me, what are these "mirror universes"?

The space-time of Yggdrasil far surpasses that of the mirror universes like an overarching timeline.

Also what would this change? Surtr still significantly damaged the tree and shook the tree to its core which would have far and wide consequences for these other universes as well in tandem.

Refer to my retort to that.

And? How does this debunk the realms having their own same stars and constellations?

And how would that change Yggdrasil being 2-C? If anything, you're furthering the wank because Surtr's act of damaging the Yggdrasil and shaking it would have massive repercussions for the other universes involved within those trees.

And? How does this debunk the notion of the Sun and the Moon being in Midgard as well?

Refer to what Planck said prior.

Freya then states the Yggdrasil transcends time and space so IDK what you're getting on about here.
"The realms occupy the same space (Yggdrasil's branches), only on different planes of existence". They are on different planes of existence i.e. in different universes.

Just 7 different universes?

Ok? We aren't debating about the Yggdrasil here, but the size of the realms.

Ok? And? Refer to the point above.

As the stars didn't even originally exist in the universes. They were created later by Surtr. Not only that, the realms are just mirror planets. They do have their own outer spaces by the virtue of existing in different universes, but they don't contain them.

The Yggdrasil doesn't contain those universes. Its branches cut between the space of those universes to house just the planets/realms.

Freya's "transcending Space-Time" statement is vague until further context :p

"The realms occupy the same space (Yggdrasil's branches), only on different planes of existence". They are on different planes of existence i.e. in different universes.
And? How does this change that damaging Yggdrasil will affect those universes in tandem?

Just 7 different universes?
9 you mean, per branch.

Ok? We aren't debating about the Yggdrasil here, but the size of the realms.

Ok? And? Refer to the point above.
Again, assuming the realms are those universes is a much more logical explanation given everything we have based on the mural alone.

Remember when Freya said that the Realm Travel Room was merely an artistic representation? This is the smae thing with the Bifrost door.

As the stars didn't even originally exist in the universes. They were created later by Surtr. Not only that, the realms are just mirror planets. They do have their own outer spaces by the virtue of existing in different universes, but they don't contain them.
Kinda gets shot in the foot by Ymir himself so uh...

The Yggdrasil doesn't contain those universes. Its branches cut between the space of those universes to house just the planets/realms.
They'd still be connected and they'd be affected in tandem. Its destruction would still nuke all of Creation within the Norse Pantheon as was repeatedly stated before, hence the entire idea of bringing in Kratos to defy Ragnarok's fate and change it for the better.

Also, those universes didn't exist before Ginnungagap and everything else eventually returns to the tree as per Freya so kinda a moot point.

Freya's "transcending Space-Time" statement is vague until further context :p
That'd be a straight up Low 1-C event if more evidence piled up but the thing is, even without that we do know that Yggdrasil is a much larger overarching timeline because of Ymir. Kinda like a Hypertime.

Honestly this does seem like a case of light trolling at this point.

Honestly, putting this to rest;

- Yggdrasil supports all of creation and predates the Nine Realms, and even the time when only the primordial forces of Ice and Fire existed in a great void, so any sort of universes would either not exist or be contained within it. On top of the fact that we see "all of creation atop its boughs" be confirmed by Ragnarok to be the Nine Realms atop its branches, the interpretation of nine hitherto unmentioned space-time continuums that contain the Nine Realms as planets has no ground.

- The Nine Realms themselves are stated to be alternate planes of existence, not contained and between that and the fact that they mirror each other and are stated to have their own stars and constellations, cannot just be planets. Using a mural depiction to say they're planets is asinine when it's merely to showcase that they exist atop its branches.

- There is no mention of universes containing the Nine Realms, not in the game nor in secondary canon. Not by WoG or any of the developers.

Regarding this stuff the GoW R already show that greek and Norse has different cosmology. It should be noted that there are answers for Dev that are not means to be taken accurately due to ambiguous question. This is why you should give question very clearly

Regarding this stuff the GoW R already show that greek and Norse has different cosmology. It should be noted that there are answers for Dev that are not means to be taken accurately due to ambiguous question. This is why you should give question very clearly
It's a leading question i.e. specifically not allowed for WoG. There's no point in paying the tweet any heed.

So
It’s been confirmed the horn we heard in 2018 wasn’t Heimdall’s
And weirdly enough it's still told to transcend time and space and that it's an even more elegant form of realm-to-realm connection than realm travel itself.

So, who blew the horn?

this.
a27c7639bb77ca1cc52305da59bbe86117d458c6.jpg

And weirdly enough it's still told to transcend time and space and that it's an even more elegant form of realm-to-realm connection than realm travel itself.
Where is the transcendent statement from? And all we have about the realm to realm connection is space-time manipulation, not that it can travel back in time
link to the source ?
Sent it to Planck and go, just out rn
RIP.

Must've been David Jaffe who blew it.
shit that makes sense

The issue with Midgard being that small is that Space-Times of the tier 2 caliber need to be at least universal in size to quantify for tier 2

If Yggdrasil isn't scaling to places at least universal in size (aka if Midgard is just earth and all the other realms are equal in size), then there's a huge issue of them being tier 2 via Yggdrasil
Lmaoo so we will ignore that cory said realms are infinite in size and listen to a guy with much less authority to say realms are planets? Wow

Where is the transcendent statement from? And all we have about the realm to realm connection is space-time manipulation, not that it can travel back in time
From a Lore Marker with a not saying "About Gjallarhorn.

Honestly tho, it'd be a range feat, not an AP feat. I never considered the horn to be AP-based in any sense of the word.

shit that makes sense
I mean, he is still malding about Ragnarok's success so...

Back