• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeijiSetto

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So this calc is the basis for the verse's MHS ratings.
There's a minor error in the calc itself but this CRT aims to remove its use entirely so it Don't Really Matter™

Why?
There isn't any proof that this behaves like real lightning, to keep things very brief.
It looks like it, it's called "Lightning Bolt" but that's about all it has going for it.
It's not cloud-to-ground (probably THE easiest lightning speed qualifier), nor does it have any other stuff that would make it more realistic, like, to quote the Lightning Feats page...
  • making muscles of affected beings contract
It's used... 3 times? and this happens [ch95] in none [ch55] of them. [ch100]
  • having an (electro)magnetic field
Not present.
  • being shown to actually move with a speed similar to lightning
It isn't. The calc only works on the assumption that this is real so it's as fast as real lightning, there's nothing otherwise implying comparable speed.
  • flowing through conducting materials
Not present.
  • the character being able to manipulate real electricity or electromagnetism in general
The only two users are Jugok Jeon and Jegal after he steals Jugok's power.
Neither of them are hard-specced into electro-stuff, it's just one part of their kit that's never further elaborated on.
  • generating ozone or causing electrolysis.
Also no.

What would they scale to instead?
Just upscale faster than their previous key. I think that's Subsonic travel speed, Hypersonic+ combat and reactions.

Agree: (2:4) (@Yeolban, @Maverick_Zero_X, @StorytellingDemonKing, @Excel616, @Accelerated_Evolution, @LephyrTheRevanchist)
Neutral: (0:0)
Disagree: (0:0)
bold is for evaluating staff

Last edited:
I would disagree and say it does meet standards. To first give context, the God of Highschool verse has a "borrowed power" power system which allows people to summon and use the powers of gods, mythical creatures and demons, as well as other historical humans. Jeon Ju-Gok is an individual who borrows the power of a mage, which also allows him to summon lightning bolts. Jegal Taek, after a series of events, manages to get Jeon borrowed power and summons it in his fight against Ilypo (the lightning in the calc). Now to see it meets out standards:

1) The lightning bolt is literally called a lightning bolt.

2) The lightning bolt can be summoned from the sky like cloud-to-ground lightning and from the mage as seen in the calc. In most cases it is summoned down from the sky instead of the mage, which would mean it is similar to ground-to-cloud lightning.

3) The lightning itself has shown to cause electrocution/shock the individuals have been hit with it. We can see this with Jegal being hit the first time as tenses up, and when he is hit again his hair completely straightens. Ilypo is shown gritting his teeth and even Mori with noticeable twitches on him after being hit. this is also supported by the "Pzzt" which as synonymous with electric shocks. This would qualify the lightning to affect muscles.

4) The lightning shown to be and is able to harm individuals who are much stronger than the baseline lightning which under out rules give it more credence to being lightning speed.

Further support of it being lightning is that it disperses along the ground like natural lightning in as seen in when Jegal is first hit, and the "crackle" sounds also give it credence to it being lightning as it signifies power electrical strikes and also that crackles as a common sound heard with real lightning. This should cover all the important and reasonable requirements for it being lightning speed.

@Maverick_Zero_X @LephyrTheRevanchist

regular users don't have the ability to ping others. i'll ask them to have another look.

I would disagree and say it does meet standards. To first give context, the God of Highschool verse has a "borrowed power" power system which allows people to summon and use the powers of gods, mythical creatures and demons, as well as other historical humans. Jeon Ju-Gok is an individual who borrows the power of a mage, which also allows him to summon lightning bolts.
i'm aware this is just for the sake of giving context, but it being magical in nature (literally coming from a BP named 'Mage') doesn't lend credence to it being natural lightning.
it's explicitly magical (being cast by, again, a BP named 'Mage') and so shouldn't be assumed to have the same properties unless that's demonstrated.
the name is supporting evidence, i.e it doesn't prove anything unless there is OTHER stuff in favour of it being natural lightning.
an attack called a big bang wouldn't be assumed to be 3-A/Low 2-C, for example.
2) The lightning bolt can be summoned from the sky like cloud-to-ground lightning and from the mage as seen in the calc. In most cases it is summoned down from the sky instead of the mage, which would mean it is similar to ground-to-cloud lightning.
"summoned from the sky" =/= summoned from a cloud.
similar to cloud-to-ground =/= cloud-to-ground.
there is, at no point, a cloud visible when the lightning is used.
it's also used nearly exclusively indoors (or somewhere with a ceiling above, like the tournament arena and the giant sanctuary-thing below), so there isn't even really a chance to say "but it might have come from from a real cloud"
sure.
i should have a look at this qualifier, to be honest, because even regular electricity does it. it's not exclusive to lightning, regular-ass electro-manip would make hair stand on end and make muscles contract.
there's an established thing called the "let-go threshold" where electricity through a live wire will cause involuntary muscle contractions and prevent you from being able to let go of it.
4) The lightning shown to be and is able to harm individuals who are much stronger than the baseline lightning which under out rules give it more credence to being lightning speed.
again, supporting evidence.
lightning attacks being stronger than 1.6e9 joules does not immediately make them lightning speed, it can support other evidence.

the name is supporting evidence, i.e it doesn't prove anything unless there is OTHER stuff in favour of it being natural lightning.

it's also used nearly exclusively indoors (or somewhere with a ceiling above, like the tournament arena and the giant sanctuary-thing below), so there isn't even really a chance to say "but it might have come from from a real cloud"

sure.
i should have a look at this qualifier, to be honest, because even regular electricity does it. it's not exclusive to lightning, regular-ass electro-manip would make hair stand on end and make muscles contract.
there's an established thing called the "let-go threshold" where electricity through a live wire will cause involuntary muscle contractions and prevent you from being able to let go of it.

lightning attacks being stronger than 1.6e9 joules does not immediately make them lightning speed, it can support other evidence.
Ye
regular users don't have the ability to ping others. i'll ask them to have another look.

i'm aware this is just for the sake of giving context, but it being magical in nature (literally coming from a BP named 'Mage') doesn't lend credence to it being natural lightning.
it's explicitly magical (being cast by, again, a BP named 'Mage') and so shouldn't be assumed to have the same properties unless that's demonstrated.

sure.

Yeah, i know. i was just saying I think this is enough to support it being lightning speed, as meets a some of the reasonable requirements for lightning speed. Either I hope to hear from other members too

Bump? I have 2 approvals from mods already, I'm kinda just waiting to see if they'll comment again since there was discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back