• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
What about this?

Rules

• Speed Equalized (Lol)
  • One sentence answers are not accepted, there should be proper reasoning or *dash* for the reasons above.
  • Both Bloodlusted.
  • Type 9 immortality restricted for Penny
  • If you have decided your final answer, write "Penny Wins" or "Giygas Wins" or "Inconclusive"
Votes

Would things like Status Effect Inducement or One Hit Kill work on IT? Well, I don't think Pennywise's Mind Hax would help much here, since Giygas is already mindless.

Well I'm going off the Pennywise vs Zamasu thread and one of the main reasons Penny won was because of his mind hax whenever Zamasu is also mindless. So I'm assuming it'll work on Giygas as well.

I mean considering there both states of existence maybe both will have to use hax in order to win?

Even people weaker than Giygas can damage Non-Corporeal beings in EarthBound, so he should damage him with his powers.

Also, Giygas can mindhax mindless being aswell, so he should be able to hurt him, even if his mind is not clearly shown.

Forreal though, I'm gonna have to evaluate this when I'm less busy IRL. Gonna go ahead and follow the thread for now, though.

Right out of the gate, 'both bloodlusted' means this is going to get ugly.

In the meantime, someone might want to bring Penguinkingpi down here if they can. He seems to know a fair amount about Penny from what I've seen.

I'll type up my own thoughts on this when I get the chance.

Alright, now that I've had a look at this thing (and done some minor research on Giygas for my own good), here're my thoughts thus far:

• The battle more or less has to take place within the Deadlights due to Giygas's lack of Multi-Universal range. Given that they're both non-corporeal and omnipresent here, all this really means is that 'it's fair'.
  • Giygas's status effects and OHKs aren't doing crap against Pennywise's unless they've been shown working on beings that have no true physical form and are omnipresent across four dimensions in a universal space. (Which I'm highly doubting is the case, given how Giygas's Low 2-C rating comes from being infinitely superior to a 3-A) Attack reflection is also not happening unless Giygas can specifically do that to non-physical attacks.
    • Likewise, the 'killed/driven insane just from looking at it' aspect of the Deadlights probably isn't going to work on a Low 2-C cosmic horror like Giygas. I also don't know how Pennywise's illusions would work against a being like him, since said illusions were never shown being used on any being of its nature.
  • The Losers Club had to be empowered by Maturin (and later Gan) in order to harm Low 2-C Pennywise with their psychic powers. Giygas's own mindhax should be at least as strong as theirs were, so he's probably going to win out over Pennywise in this area. The main problem is that, even with the empowerment of the aforementioned god-tiers, mindhax weren't enough to put down Pennywise's true form for good. They simply caused it to feel an excruciating amount of pain.
  • I don't know how widespread Giygas's existence erasure is in terms of AoE (if it even has that), but unless he can erase a literal universe with it, I don't think it's going to work.
  • Penny's regen isn't going to matter in a battle where neither character can harm each other physically. Which I'm assuming is the case, since they're both non-corporeal entities with no true physical form. Whether or not they cancel each other out with their shared lack of physicality is anyone's guess, but if they do, the Penny's regen becomes a problem.
  • Mind reading might actually play into Pennywise's favor in this fight. If (and this is pretty huge 'if' here) Penny manages to read the garbled mess that serves as Giygas's mind, it should eventually find out about the song Maria sung to him as a child, as it has shown many times to be able to find long-buried memories within the minds it reads. Being that IT can project disembodied voices (it did so numerous times from what I can recall), it's fully capable of exploiting this weakness once it learns, and may even be able to project the voice of Maria herself in doing so...Sadly, the problem there is that, much like mindhax VS Pennywise, this seems like it wasn't enough to 'end' Giygas. From what I can tell, it simply drove him away.
All-in-all, this is looking inconclusive. Either A) a mental battle happens, resulting in Giygas thrashing the shit out of Pennywise's mind for ages until (maybe) the latter goes catatonic from it on some level, or B) Pennywise mind-reads, (maybe) learns about Maria's song, then proceeds to drive Giygas away by projecting several voices singing the song at once.

I'll say this much, though; I've never played any of the Earthbound/Mother games, so my knowledge on Giygas is limited. If I'm missing any important details, someone else is going to have to point them out.

P.S.: Before anyone mentions it, the term 'mindless' as used in fiction rarely ever equates to 'literally not having a mind'. (Unless the work explicitly states this, such as the case with Doomsday) More often than not, it simply means that the being in question doesn't think for themselves, or has a mind that only functions at an extremely basic level.

Doesn't really matter that much in regards to this particular matchup, but it's still some food for thought.

Intruvious said:
Guys, how do you request for a new character to be added?
There's a thread in the Wiki Management board that serves this purpose, I believe. Should be able to see it if you go there.

EDIT: Here.

I think Giygas is well inside the "No brain" category, at least, acording to Porky. Is also remarkable the fact that Ness mindhax wasn't able to do anything to him, even now, that they are now in the same tier. And Giygas attack reflection can deflect any kind of attack in the entire game.

also, I don't know about Maria's song being effective against this form of Giygas. That really hit him in his Guiege form becuse he was reminded of his mother, and he felt sad and started weakening over time, but this form of Giygas can't think rationally anymore, so I don't know if something like his memories would affect him.

Not sure why the Eight Melodies (which are supposedly just fragments of Maria's song, judging from what I was able to find on them) are listed as a weakness for Giygas's Low 2-C form if they don't actually work on him as a weakness. Seems like that would be something to leave off the profile if that were the case.

The phrase 'His own mind was destroyed' (in this context) also seems like it's referring to him going insane, not actually having his mind destroyed. The term 'losing your mind' is similar to that, and it isn't literal either.

That said, IF the song doesn't work on Giygas, then he probably dominates Pennywise. The former being able reflect psychic attacks (I assume this means mind manipulation) means the space-clown is powerless against him in a mental battle.

Uh, I never noticed that. I don't remember any part in the game where the Eight Melodies where used as a weakness for Giygas, at least in Mother 2. They we're only use for upgrading Ness to Low-2C.

I don't know, his mind being destroyed by sheer power seems pretty literal for me, considering the fact that in this form, he exceeds the power of PSI (Mind Manipulation in the Mother verse) by a big margin, since his power doesn't even classify as PP (Psychic power). So his immense power doesn't come from the mind, since I think it doesn't exits at this point in battle.

Don't know what to say here. Maria's song/The eight melodies only have shown effect in his original form, and since he can't process normally/think, I don't think something like feeling sadness is going to strike him any time soon.

Don't think the song works yeah, the only option they had was praying and not getting killed. They had the melodies, if it worked they could of used them.

Huh. Might want to bring that up to someone. I was under the impression that the song worked on both forms, but since I never played Mother/Earthbound, I'm not the person to ask.

Anywho, regardless of whether or not Giygas's mind was 'literally' destroyed or not, Pennywise gets mauled anyway due to Giygas's mindhax and psychic attack reflection, as well as lacking a means to put Giygas down. Changing my vote to him.

I could be remembering wrong, but i know for a fact you cant do anything to him exvept pray. Unless they lost the melodies, which i don't think they did it shouldnt be a weakness.

Back