• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Light Novel Discussion Thread

As promised on the last forum, this is a thread to talk about light novels and web novels. Share recommendations and talk about series you're reading, and this can also work as a nice place to look for other people who know of novels you like.

Last edited:
I'm still on my crusade to read everything Nisio Isin and absolutely nothing else.

>class 1-A

🤔

"Class 1-A" is a common name for the class of the MC in many novels due to how Japan names its classrooms. For example, Deku is also a member of Class 1-A. This gets funny if you know the system for obvious reasons.

I just want to said this: i hope the author of Hataraku no Maou-Sama will get what he deserve after butchered his own novel with that ending

He
went the Chiyo only route (with an off-hand reference to a harem and Emi's feeling by Chiyo, as well as having Emi take care of the kid by herself, for extra slaps to the face), made Maou human, and basically threw out a good chunk of the series character development

Seriously tho, the author really f***ed it up, and with the amount of peoples who disliked Chiyo this is just straight up idiocity

Nvm the new series he went to, i believe his new series sales in first day of month ago was a failure

Well, not necesarily, but you can talk about any Isekai you want here as it'll most likely also fall under the topic.

Well, let me gush over Uresekai Picnic for a little bit then.

Uresekai Picnic is a Yuri horror light novel and is basically Roadside picnic in japanese. Its about 2 college girls who have found means and ways to travel to the Otherside, a mysterious world devoided of conventional life. The denizens of the Otherside starkly resemble japanese urban myths and creepy pastas and are highly dangerous and hostile. The girls explore the place partly for the adventure but mainly to find a important person, who vanished in the Otherside. But events unfolding in the real and the otherside seem to mean that said person dosnt really want to be found...

The reason why i love it so much is that it is one of the few written works that invoked such a insane feeling of dread and terror like Uresekai Picnic did. The denizens of the Otherside are nonsensical and whimsical, you don't know wether their entire existance is natural or "manmade" which makes them so extremly uncanny and creepy, that every encounter with them is dreadful. The novel plays around with insanity and perception, making the reader question wether the events that just happend where real or not. You genuinly never know wether or not they are witty enough to beat the phantom that haunts them, when both threat and solution defy reason entirely. The characters points them out by name and call it ghost story logic lol.

Both main characters, Sorano and Toriko, have a interesting (and romantic) chemestry between them. Sorano, who is the narrator of the story, is cynical, cowardly and impulsive, while Toriko is reckless and simpleminded. Cant speak more about them without spoilers, lets just say that both go through massive hoops and loops to survive together.

If you guys have time and you're craving some good horror, definitly give it a spin. Its to this point only 3 vol's long, with the translations for the 4th coming this year iirc.

How many volumes the novel had now, Witchy? Because from what you said its seems like a anti-mainstream LN

Also pure yuri, nobody can't resist it lel

I saw that btw

Anyway, I recommend everyone reading Hakomari

Probably one of my first and personal favorite LN
The sypnopsis doesn't tell the whole story tho so don't get misleaded. It's a mystery genre

I like A certain magical index i'm laughing at the newer series because touma has been out of action for a few volumes

also overgeared is top ten web novels of all time

I need to get back to reading Overgeared tbh. I got to the part where Piaro was farming and the Ranker pulled up to the city but had to stop reading cuz I started thinking of customers as NPCs lmao. Such is the effect of covid lockdown.

I wouldn't say that tho, while Mushoku Tensei is the origin of the reincarnation isekai and started the "gets hit by truck" gimmick that turned into a staple of the genre, I would say that Sword Art Online, which has been around since 2003, is the one that I would call "the OG isekai". MT is just the mold the modern wave of isekai is modelled after, not really the origin of isekai itself.

I wouldn't say that tho, while Mushoku Tensei is the origin of the reincarnation isekai and started the "gets hit by truck" gimmick that turned into a staple of the genre, I would say that Sword Art Online, which has been around since 2003, is the one that I would call "the OG isekai". MT is just the mold the modern wave of isekai is modelled after, not really the origin of isekai itself.
SAO is not isekai it is the main origin of the vr genre both trapped and not

SAO is by all means and accounts an isekai. When you have people trapped in another world, that's clearly isekai due to following its meaning.

a
SAO is by all means and accounts an isekai. When you have people trapped in another world, that's clearly isekai due to following its meaning.
as a reader it isn't another world and it is a game and news flash most of it isn't trapped or transported to another world yes there is underworld but that is just advanced full dive vr that kirito had to be trapped in because the author had ran out of ideas

If you are talking about making the idea popular, you could say SAO.

But if we go by being the first ones, that is a trophy better given to .hack and Digimon.

Though there are other, even older series that follow the idea, like Twelve Kingdoms. Other world, taken there, trapped against your will. And yes, Twelve Kingdoms is a light novel.

But as for Light Novels, right now I am simply focusing on Owari No Chronicle. It always feels weird when I end up mostly hooked up to a series that feels completely unknown to most people I ask.

Back