• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gears of War ratings, specifically the physical ratings (Downgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, now that I look at it...

We just need the yield of one grenade, it's not like their radius changes dramatically (Same grenade). The fireball of one grenade seems to cover the full parking lot opening, so despite the fact that it took two grenades to cause that damage, given how big the fireball is, I think it's safe to assume the fireball would be at least the length of a car + that van combined at the bare minimum.

Only thing I'd need then is the car model and the van model. And the closest Marcus can survive said bombs for inverse-square law before getting shitcanned. (I will need Marcus's height and weight values for this).

Actually, now that I look at it...

We just need the yield of one grenade, it's not like their radius changes dramatically (Same grenade). The fireball of one grenade seems to cover the full parking lot opening, so despite the fact that it took two grenades to cause that damage, given how big the fireball is, I think it's safe to assume the fireball would be at least the length of a car + that van combined at the bare minimum.

Only thing I'd need then is the car model and the van model. And the closest Marcus can survive said bombs for inverse-square law before getting shitcanned. (I will need Marcus's height and weight values for this).
Don’t you just need the height? Also I checked and apparently Marcus is 6 foot 1 inch IIRC

Don’t you just need the height? Also I checked and apparently Marcus is 6 foot 1 inch IIRC
Nah, surface area can't be derived without weight as well. Then we need to halve surface area to get cross-sectional area. Then multiply with yield tanked after we use the distance between bomb-and-Marcus in the Inverse Square law formula.

Shoot, but I think it is around over 200 pounds or something for Marcus. Also they are technically still human so can we use standard human weights for this too?

I guess so?
Yeah, I have to look up as there is average human weight that accounted for muscles and I think body fat too. Let me check my sources though as I will have to check if there is official description of Marcus’s weight as well.

Also in the video I shown, they are still some distance away from the grenade too so there is that.

Yeah, I have to look up as there is average human weight that accounted for muscles and I think body fat too. Let me check my sources though as I will have to check if there is official description of Marcus’s weight as well.

Also in the video I shown, they are still some distance away from the grenade too so there is that.
Well how much distance is the question. Without it, we can't use the inverse-square law.

From what I can tell, it is like within 3 to 10 meters from the grenade radius as in gameplay, both Carmine and dom got “drowned” by the grenade.
Hmmmmm, do you have a scene anywhere in the game (cutscenes, gameplay whatever) where they're that close?

It is at the 5:25 mark for the video I posted here which is this one.

Hmmmm, that really doesn't show Marcus taking it to his face, only shows the guy on his left having a blood trail, but then again, it's not like the actual fireblast took them on, it's just the shockwave, and the second bomb's trajectory gets thrown into the mix, as if it's thrown in front of the pickup in front of them and not into the parking lot. Any other scenes where they take the bombs exploding closer than that?

Hmmmm, that really doesn't show Marcus taking it to his face, only shows the guy on his left having a blood trail, but then again, it's not like the actual fireblast took them on, it's just the shockwave, and the second bomb's trajectory gets thrown into the mix, as if it's thrown in front of the pickup in front of them and not into the parking lot. Any other scenes where they take the bombs exploding closer than that?
Nope, that is the only scene shown as it was tutorial level too

****, that's not giving me much room for scaling.

I guess we can calc the bomb yield for now, as for tanking it, might have to wait for better shots. Until then, stick to other usable feats.

'Kay so the car looks like a 90s Chrysler LeBaron (Closest looking example I got here) and the van seems to be a Ford Transit Mk III (Same IGCD link).

LeBaron 1990-1994 is 4.641 m long and the Transit Mk III is 4.616 m at its shortest.

4.641 + 4.616= 9.257 m explosive diameter. Radius is thus 4.6285 m.

W = R^3*((27136*P+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2 where R is radius in meters and P is pressure in bars, usually 20 psi or 1.37895 bars.

W = 4.6285^3*((27136*1.37895+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2 = 0.00796904573 tons of TNT (Small Building level)

Ouch. Barely above baseline.

'Kay so the car looks like a 90s Chrysler LeBaron (Closest looking example I got here) and the van seems to be a Ford Transit Mk III (Same IGCD link).

LeBaron 1990-1994 is 4.641 m long and the Transit Mk III is 4.616 m at its shortest.

4.641 + 4.616= 9.257 m explosive diameter. Radius is thus 4.6285 m.

W = R^3*((27136*P+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2 where R is radius in meters and P is pressure in bars, usually 20 psi or 1.37895 bars.

W = 4.6285^3*((27136*1.37895+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2 = 0.00796904573 tons of TNT (Small Building level)

Ouch. Barely above baseline.
Tbf the car did explode when the grenade did detonate.

Also the explosion only destroyed the car, not the van
Well the van did fall down, I'm just using the van as a measuring stick based on the fact that the explosion fireball eclipsed the outer viewing hole of the parking lot.

Well the van did fall down, I'm just using the van as a measuring stick based on the fact that the explosion fireball eclipsed the outer viewing hole of the parking lot.
The van fall down as a result of the first grenade thrown by Marcus Fenix IIRC so not sure if we can use the same grenade for that matter

We're not really using the van's destruction as a metric here, we're merely using it to find the diameter of the fireball, you could even say the length of that opening is more or less similar to the combined length of the car and the van.

We're not really using the van's destruction as a metric here, we're merely using it to find the diameter of the fireball, you could even say the length of that opening is more or less similar to the combined length of the car and the van.
Okay, but how about the square inverse law for the durability part?

Okay, but how about the square inverse law for the durability part?
Yeah well, like I said, you'd need a better shot of Marcus near the grenade, with the current material we have, might as well say he didn't tank anything worth of value.

Yeah well, like I said, you'd need a better shot of Marcus near the grenade, with the current material we have, might as well say he didn't tank anything worth of value.
Yeah, that is true. Benjamin Carmine and Dom did got downed from the grenade on the ground in question and you can tell they didn’t necessarily tank the grenade entirely. However, there are some other useable feats I think

Wait, we were showned the aftermath of the explosion .
Yeah, I remember that feat. Also let me get the following feats that disprove the 9A durability rating:
A berserker ripping a poor COG Soldier apart

Kim's death at the hands of General RAAM:

I will included the Carmine's deaths (Clayton is the exception I think), but I am a bit lazy to do it.

Also here is the anti feats that kinda disprove them not necessarily being able to survive a grenade necessarily

Last edited:
Eh, I find that inverse-square law calc janky as ****, especially considering that we're not shown how far Marcus was from the bomb.

That and that explosion for the ceiling should be reinforced concrete instead.

Eh, I find that inverse-square law calc janky as ****, especially considering that we're not shown how far Marcus was from the bomb.
I mean it is a grenade technically. The calc, in question, was from Marcus throwing a grenade into the buildings. I thought the video I posted when it was clear Marcus Fenix was throwing the grenade into the building

I mean it is a grenade technically. The calc, in question, was from Marcus throwing a grenade into the buildings. I thought the video I posted when it was clear Marcus Fenix was throwing the grenade into the building
I meant regarding tanking the yield of the bomb.

When taking the brunt of a bomb far from the epicenter, we use this formula.
Intensity = (Yield of Explosive in Tons of TNT) / (4π((Distance from Epicenter in meters)^2))

Then we multiply the intensity with the cross-sectional area of the person to find the true yield they tanked. Cross-sectional area is 40-50% that of total body surface area depending upon what your body type and bulk are.

I meant regarding tanking the yield of the bomb.

When taking the brunt of a bomb far from the epicenter, we use this formula.
Intensity = (Yield of Explosive in Tons of TNT) / (4π((Distance from Epicenter in meters)^2))

Then we multiply the intensity with the cross-sectional area of the person to find the true yield they tanked. Cross-sectional area is 40-50% that of total body surface area depending upon what your body type and bulk are.
Ah, okay. Fair enough

This is a necro, but this thread should been closed till we get some calculations going for this verse.
That and quite frankly, while I am comfortable at putting them at 9B, I have to look through some feats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back