• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gears of War ratings, specifically the physical ratings (Downgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I not agreeing with having a solid 9A physical rating as the feats mostly involved using weapons like cutting the pillar in the Skorge's boss fight

and cutting a tank in half with a chainsaw staff.

Last edited:
I think it had something to do with a previous content revision, the 9-A comes from Marcus Fenix being able to survive a grenade that had a 9-A+ calculation. Though I'm personally iffy on the calculation method iirc.

I think it had something to do with a previous content revision, the 9-A comes from Marcus Fenix being able to survive a grenade that had a 9-A+ calculation. Though I'm personally iffy on the calculation method iirc.
I do find it random since it was with a frag grenade and thus doesn't even scale to physical rating as reflected in the video IIRC.

Also this is a minor downgrade since I believe 9B is more accurate rather than 9A for physical rating.

I have to check on the other profiles given this is a minor thing rather than a major thing.

Edit: Also there was no evidence of Marcus Fenix directly surviving a grenade as there are antifeats for this.

This was the thread I was talking about where revisions happened last time; though I agree 9-B appears more consistent for the most part.
Yeah, I remember that feat. Also let me get the following feats that disprove the 9A durability rating:
A berserker ripping a poor COG Soldier apart

Kim's death at the hands of General RAAM:

I will included the Carmine's deaths (Clayton is the exception I think), but I am a bit lazy to do it.

I know minimal about this verse, but I guess either
A. Backscale from the feats and say that they required sharp weapons
B. Emphasize in the profiles that the weapons used are sharp weapons which pulled off these feats

I know minimal about this verse, but I guess either
A. Backscale from the feats and say that they required sharp weapons
B. Emphasize in the profiles that the weapons used are sharp weapons which pulled off these feats
I find choice B being more suitable as far as in term of feats (alone), every single time there are feats involved, it has very consistent with using weapons to achieve these feats with possible exceptions, but I have to look further into Gears of War as my in depth knowledge ends with Gears of War 3 and other stuff like comics. Gears 4 and 5 including the spin offs will need some more looking into.

Also it is a third person shooter game series as there is a decent chunk of lore here and there.

I also do not know too much about the verse, but one thing I can definitely say is that this is basically the type series where weapons should scaled from their own calculations, feats, and scientific properties. We are definitely not upgrading fodder pistols based on a feat that came from a hand grenade for obvious reasons. But I'm neutral on the physical stats of various marines and the like. And it's evident that ballistics due give more damage than calcs due to sharpness/penetration.

I also do not know too much about the verse, but one thing I can definitely say is that this is basically the type series where weapons should scaled from their own calculations, feats, and scientific properties. We are definitely not upgrading fodder pistols based on a feat that came from a hand grenade for obvious reasons. But I'm neutral on the physical stats of various marines and the like. And it's evident that ballistics due give more damage than calcs due to sharpness/penetration.
Yeah.... I don't really agree with 9A physical rating to being honest as far as I am aware, these soldiers (They are not classified as marines I think) don't have any physical feats that come even close to being 9A.

Generally speaking people just scale weapons to physicals, as they are above but it is not common that they are immensely above (e.g., more than a tier). If you could establish such a disparity, then yeah, this would be good.

Generally speaking people just scale weapons to physicals, as they are above but it is not common that they are immensely above (e.g., more than a tier). If you could establish such a disparity, then yeah, this would be good.
Huh, well as far as I am aware, most of the feat ain't purely by themselves since there are weapons like the Hammer of Dawn which is a laser orbital system: .

Also, the main reason why they are Tier 9A apparently came from a grenade which was thrown and isn't used physically at all. Just thrown in a tutorial which takes out some enemies

just watch for a few minutes and you can see the gameplay being used here.

Also here is more as
image0.png

Oh yeah, that is right. In the same cutscene with JD, he struggled to take out a damaged door as he was trying to save Liz from getting killed by the Hammer of Dawn and in the end, it did kill the person in question.

Last edited:
If the weapons have some power of their own, such as being chainsaws in this case, then the user wouldn't necessarily backscale from them I think

Yeah Fenix would probably need to have the weapons plit from his physicals

I know Raam has a really good feat in the DLC showing E Day so maybe that could help

Would Markus even scale to the Berserker’s strength
Nope as it killed a COG soldier and Kim was killed by General RAAM prior to the boss fight with RAAM physically overpowered him rather easily

In fact, aside from that, I literally can not recall any else that will scale aside from Marcus using a chain to cause a Berserker to fall to its death IIRC.

Can they survive grenades? If that's the 9-A calc then they would scale. Same reason profiles like the Division Agent come out to 9-A.

There's another problem with the grenade calc.

Reinforced concrete v. frag is now 61.2 J/cc, which might nerf the calc a bit, but again, it happened above ground level so on ground level inverse-square law would make it a bit bigger. But I can't for the love of me even tell the dimensions of the entire structure without assuming material percentages.

Not like Fenix takes them point-blank anyway but I think that was also accounted for in the OG calc.

Also, the area destroyed seems big. Really big. Like, 3-4 car body lengths big.

Last edited:
As in getting directly tanking the grenades? No
Wasn't that already accounted for? Pretty sure the OG calc accounted for Fenix requiring to be 1.2192 meters from the grenade to survive, which would severely neuter the results.

Maybe with the explosion calc redone to account for the fact that it gravely damaged a pretty massive area, we could get some decent-ish results.

There's another problem with the grenade calc.

Reinforced concrete v. frag is now 61.2 J/cc, which might nerf the calc a bit, but again, it happened above ground level so on ground level inverse-square law would make it a bit bigger. But I can't for the love of me even tell the dimensions of the entire structure without assuming material percentages.

Not like Fenix takes them point-blank anyway but I think that was also accounted for in the OG calc.

Also, the area destroyed seems big. Really big. Like, 3-4 car body lengths big.
If I not mistaken, it doesn't look big as the damage was shown to at least blasting a hole to take out a wretch or more.

Wasn't that already accounted for? Pretty sure the OG calc accounted for Fenix requiring to be 1.2192 meters from the grenade to survive, which would severely neuter the results.

Maybe with the explosion calc redone to account for the fact that it gravely damaged a pretty massive area, we could get some decent-ish results.
The thing, this is a singular feat out of all them and you can technically argue this is game mechanics because the game itself literally give you a tutorial which is optional IIRC.

So in that case, I not sure if that was actually accounted for. Let me double check on that regard

If I not mistaken, it doesn't look big as the damage was shown to at least blasting a hole to take out a wretch or more.
It did leave several cars destroyed in its wake and left a pretty big hole on the ceiling from what I can see.

The thing, this is a singular feat out of all them and you can technically argue this is game mechanics because the game itself literally give you a tutorial which is optional IIRC.

So in that case, I not sure if that was actually accounted for. Let me double check on that regard
Yeah, pretty sure the original calc indeed accounted that Marcus would have to be 1.2192 meters from the bomb to even survive. Which might neuter the results back to Wall level depending upon how the calc is re-done, whether using the new reinforced concrete values we have now (Which I don't think I can do without proper dimension values for the length, width and height to get my volume) or by using the classical explosion-formula (The fact that this didn't happen at ground level but at a storey above it would likely increase the explosion yield's results but Marcus being 1.2192 meters away from it would sorta nerf the actual yield he tanks).

It did leave several cars destroyed in its wake and left a pretty big hole on the ceiling from what I can see.
I think this is a bit of overestimation as there were two grenades being thrown in the said gameplay tutorial. While we did see several cars destroyed, they were already destroyed prior to the grenade being thrown as we see the cars prior to the grenade throw so I not sure on this regard.
Yeah, pretty sure the original calc indeed accounted that Marcus would have to be 1.2192 meters from the bomb to even survive. Which might neuter the results back to Wall level depending upon how the calc is re-done, whether using the new reinforced concrete values we have now (Which I don't think I can do without proper dimension lengths) or by using the classical explosion-formula.
Yeah. just checking the video. the game give you the option to either accept training or decline training from the start of the game so this feat might been invalid as this directly ties to game mechanics.

I think this is a bit of overestimation as there were two grenades being thrown in the said gameplay tutorial. While we did see several cars destroyed, they were already destroyed prior to the grenade being thrown as we see the cars prior to the grenade throw so I not sure on this regard.
How many grenades does Marcus throw normally? Are those two-grenade packs exclusive to the tutorial itself?

Either way, the calc would still have to be re-done.

How many grenades does Marcus throw normally? Are those two-grenade packs exclusive to the tutorial itself?
Marcus throw one in the building. The other grenade was thrown by Benjamin Carmine by accident as shown 8:50 to 8:53 timestamp wise.

Marcus throw one. The other grenade was thrown by Benjamin Carmine by accident as shown 8:50 to 8:53 timestamp wise.
Then that would most likely nerf the actual explosion and inverse-square law in turn would bring Marcus back to the realm of Wall level (Though high-end Wall level if I do say so myself).

Then that would most likely nerf the actual explosion and inverse-square law in turn would bring Marcus back to the realm of Wall level (Though high-end Wall level if I do say so myself).
Yeah, the grenade thrown by Marcus was in the building. The one thrown by Benjamin Carmine accidentally was the one he thrown into the car on ground level and keep in mind, this is tutorial.

Also I think the grenade packs can been picked up later in the story, but for the most part, you have to actually look for them since this ties back to game mechanics as during tutorial, you are allowed to move the characters during the tutorial.

I mentioned one of my main problems with the calculation is that causing a ceiling to collapse isn't always as impressive as the fragmentation per cc would always yield. For all we know, the grenade by itself probably didn't damage it that much, and the rest might have been a chain reaction in the form of moderately broken parts becoming unstable due to lack of ground support.

I mentioned one of my main problems with the calculation is that causing a ceiling to collapse isn't always as impressive as the fragmentation per cc would always yield. For all we know, the grenade by itself probably didn't damage it that much, and the rest might have been a chain reaction in the form of moderately broken parts becoming unstable due to lack of ground support.
I do remember you having some problems for the calc in question, yeah.

I propose redoing the calculation using normal ground-based explosion value, then divide the yield by two since it took two grenades, then use inverse-square law to figure out Marcus's dura.

I propose redoing the calculation using normal ground-based explosion value, then divide the yield by two since it took two grenades, then use inverse-square law to figure out Marcus's dura.
While I don’t mind this potential solution, just gonna note the second grenade was on the ground while the first one was in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back