• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gathering information for neck snapping

Can somebody provide the summarised TL;DR conclusions here?

Based on my understanding, although breaking a neck from sheer blunt force alone is class 1; most neck snapping feats have characters do so in a way that isn't scientifically accurate. And there was something about the body's restrain doing most of the work rather than the person snapping the neck through sheer force. Xing's welcome to correct me, but something more summarized would do.

Okay. So do we have a calculation page or blog that is referenced for the neck-snapping feat, and how do we even find all of the characters that use it as a basis at this point?

Thats why I made this thread, so we could start gathering info for a more in dephth crt Im still waiting on some more information on neck crancks and the like to flesh this out more and cover the "Realistic neck cranks" Though I have a bunch of sites listing the problem with the physics of these impossible neck snaps.

Sorry to have dragged you in here its definitly something that needs more work I've just been a bit distracted latly. Currently this is a bit of a rough draft that covers the basic profiles that I noticed used this and the problems they have. Ie not having any other feats matching this strength/the basic technique breaking the laws of physics in many cases.

As for finding characters it shouldn't be to difficult its a strictily human to peak human feat that is rarly used for justification in anyone over 9b It would take time but as long as it becomes not accepeted it will just take time to slowly go through profiles using this and removing the justification.

Well, I have very limited available time, so I have to unsubscribe from this thread. You can contact me later if you need my help.

Yeah crushing a neck with grip strength alone is class 1, but pulling and twisting can be accomplished with Athlete level strength (using the neck as a lever to increase force on a specific cervical vertebrae).

Also I'm working on a calc for how much force a Peak Human would be able to apply with a can opener, should be done in a few days.

Thanks for all the help after that Im going to linke to sites and stuff talking about the problem with hollywood neck twist without leverage :)

Yeah do remember to note that a lot of hollwood breaks are actually scientifically if not humanly possible because they do stop the upper body from moving if they're in position for a rear-naked choke.

So at this point it's just about figuring out which neck snaps are outliers, yes?

Pretty much. And setting down the rule not to use that as a singular justification for Class 1. And getting a calc to prove it is physically possible for a Peak Human to break a neck with a can opener.

Honestly, a lot of characters with neck snapping have other feats to back it up, so other than the ones we listed I think there's not that many left out there that need changing.

I think there are probably alot of action hero stars that need this adjustment. Even profiles using it as a supporting feat should probably remove it or move it to notable techniques explaining how leverage and hold can effect the level of strength required, especially if they have other better feats.

of course its a time consuming process but its one that can be done over time, the big thing we need is a rule stopping neck snapping from being used for a justification for lifting strength in general as depending on hold and leverage the energy and streength vary. Itd be better to just not use it to scale strength

Actually I don't think there's that many that need a class change. I don't think we need to list it as a notable technique - it's not really common/useful enough in combat to justify.

Looks solid to me but Im no expert in math so we should have some calc group members check it out, as long as its accepted we can use it as support to show not only are neck breaks in fiction usually inaccurate but the ones with accuracy aren't class 1 Great work.

Spino is facing personal problems due to the Hong Kong protests. You might be better off asking at the Calc Evaluations thread.

Great Ill work on it in the morning/tommorow when I get the time basically we just need to add that calc to note to my explantion/rough draft on how more realistic depictions don't break out of peak human range and less realistic ones break the laws of physics thus they shouldn't be used to try and justify class 1

Probably also note how even with the neck crank one of the weakest neck holds/leverage postions peak humans can accomplish neck snapping and with better holds even less strength would be required

The can opener is an incredibly rare maneuver even in fiction tho, so now our only task is to see if the neck snapping is an outlier or not for that particular character.

Yeah definitely. The point is how we shouldn't use neck snapping as a singular justification for lifting strength b/c there's too many profiles where they either are outliers, wouldn't work, or are accomplished with technique.

Honestly, most of the profiles who are class 1 have better feats, so we are literally just removing neck snapping as a justification for a few profiles.

Yeah, we can go ahead and remove neck snapping as a list of one of their lifting strength feats.

Also note that semi-realistic ones (eg. Punisher MCU, Melina May, etc.) tend to be outliers in the CRT.

Arrowverse characters can rip chains apart so that's probably fine.

Yeah, and according to that article steel isn't to be used for raising weights due to not being as strong as wrought iron under shock and being hard to work with.

Class 5 is iffy for CW characters that aren't Flash, but At least Class 1 is pretty consistent for these guys.

Also Deathstroke snapped a rifle in half, which is physically impossible for even the strongest people IRL.

Back