• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gathering information for neck snapping

We can use the sources from both wikipedia and Vsauce3's video as a reference. IIRC several calc members already okay'd them long ago.

Okay. That is probably fine, but we still preferably need a draft blog first.

We should probably also put this in the lifting strength page.

Also, I added some details to KLOL506's draft:

"Do not immediately assume that a neck-snapping feat is a valid Class 1 lifting strength feat. Fictional neck-breaks have a variety of issues that may disqualify them from usage as justification for lifting strength.

To be utilized as justification, the character should generally demonstrated other feats consistent with this level of strength, as good technique can reduce the amount of strength neccessary to break a neck by several times (utilizing leverage). With the assistance of bodyweight, the feat is even easier (an amateur wrestler fractured his C7 vertebra when he landed on his head with his opponent on top of him - probably while attempting a suplex, similar to this case).

In addition, the feat itself must be physically possible. The problem is that in some cases the character fails to restrain the target's body in any form. In this case, when the character twists the target's neck, the body would twist with it to compensate, relieving the force on the cervical vertebrae."

However, we need some calc group help for that.

Well, DMUA and Spino have already approved of this, and DT doesn't think he's the best person to ask for stuff like this. I'll contact Therefir and Bambu on this matter as well.

Yeah OK then sounds good.

They can link it to wikipedia and Vsauce3's video in the front to explain the amount of pure force needed and then just copy paste my section.

They should probably specify it as a lifting feat though because we already have a calc for neck breaking in the References page, but that one is for impact/AP.

If the calc group members that you asked are too busy, you can ask some others as well.

Okay. You might need to ask a few more though.

Honestly though I've been thinking that what we have right now for neck breaking requirements might make it too complicated, as it's very situational.

I think we should just stop using neck breaks as a justification for strength comepletely.

Okay. In which policy/instruction page should we mention this in that case?

We should probably mention it in the lifting page.

I'll probably slowly edit the profiles that need changes.

Also while we're at it I might as bring up another issue with lifting strength. We give out ratings extremely arbitrarily.

For instance, Composite Human is Class 5 for being able to backlift that much weight, but he would only be able to deadlift around barely into class 1 and bench around Peak Human.

This is in comparison to a gorilla which is like 4-9x stronger than a human but is only class 1 b/c we only have values for its deadlift.

I agree about the Composite Human lifting strength.

Yeah it seems rather arbitrary, sorry for my absence from this thread but it seemed like things were pretty well handled. Hmmm.... Im not sure how we would go about fixing it though? its not like neck snapping where we can just sweep aside the mostly nonsensical feat as justification.

I am not sure if this is relevant enough to mention in the Lifting Strength page itself, but if it is, it should be handled in a notes section at the bottom of the page.

Yeah so should I begin editing?

This will be a pretty big change, so I'll probably do it slowly over the course of a few months. Thankfully, it won't affect any versus matches.

Which instruction pages do you plan to edit exactly?

Just the lifting page for now. I'll slowly do the profiles that use neck snapping as justification later.

So should I start?

Okay. Tell me here when you are done.

No problem. I will lock the page again then.

Back