• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield Speed Downgrade

The author clearly never considered the actual speed of light. It's a one time gag. At absolute best, Garfield would be FTL as his peak, not normally.

You can't really talk about gags feat in a media where everything is a gag.

@AMM The wording heaviny implies that Garfield outruns darkness itself instead of the circuits.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
You can't really talk about gags feat in a media where everything is a gag.
@AMM The wording heaviny implies that Garfield outruns darkness itself instead of the circuits.
IMPLIES. At best, that's worth "likely" or "possibly". Not just "FTL"

"The wording heaviny implies that Garfield outruns darkness itself instead of the circuits."

Does that even mean anything when it's Garfield who's the one saying it? I don't think treating him as a trustworthy or infallible person(?) is wise if we want to analyse how fast he is in this scene.

We have two possibilities, he either outran light and got back into bed (which we don't see him do since he goes in to bed while the light is unaffected.) Or he got into bed before the connection was cut off. The possibility which requires less assumptions; is ultimately more likely is the latter possibility.

The "less assumption" way only really works when it could go both ways. Here we have a statement more or less confirming that Garfield outrunned darkness, wheras the idea that he outran the connection pretty much comes out of nowhere because we want to use less assumptions.

Assumptions in Garfield outrunning light.

- He is not lying, and he is stating the undeniable truth. And knows he is infact, outrunning light rather than going into bed before the connection cuts off.

- Despite the lights still being on, Garfield is still able to outrun darkness?

Assumptions in Garfield outrunning the connection

- ?

If you can prove to me, that Garfield going to bed before the connection breaks has fewer assumptions than Garfield outrunning light please enlighten me; please refrain from using Garfield's word like gospel.

Considering the type of person Garfield is, he not knowing of the connection and going into bed thinking he's faster than light would actually aide to the comedy in this comic strip.

The darkness would be coming from the ceiling. It's a possibility that we just don't see it coming yet.

There is no reason we should discard his word in favor of an alternative explanation that wasn't even acknowledged in the original strip.

Who said it had to be acknowledged? And as far as I'm concerned I wasn't aware Garfield was some experienced electrician who could differentiate between outrunning light to going to bed before the connection gets cut off. If there's one thing we have no reason to do, it's to treat Garfields statement as if it were something infallible.

Regarding the possibility of us not seeing the light would only be detrimental for your argument, since you can't prove he outran any light at all; have to rely solely on his thoughts on the end (which as I have explained earlier) is not a very good idea.

I mean he doesn't really have another feat near this so shouldn't it be outlier anyway? Garfield is not a reliable source of info, he might likely be exaggerating.

Does anyone have thoughts about how fast it takes for the connection for ceiling lights to come on/off?

I know the signal for the light travels from the ceiling towards the light switch, but not really sure what the timeframe for that is...

Perhaps the speed should be placed as "Unknown" in the meantime?

Would you like to edit the page AMM?

Back