• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield vs Tom (Tom and Jerry)

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So Tom vs Garfield... This one might be a doozy. Between the two, Tom has better AP due to more consistently being able to bust through walls and having dealt with steel doors and bulletproof glass it seems, while Garfield demolished heavier stuff (an ice cream truck; an example of a vehicle used as an ice cream truck, the Ford T250, has a curb weight of 2.2 to 2.6 tonnes: https://prnt.sc/9UEE91_RJZZn )

Speedwise, really current equalization rules would make Tom's reaction speed advantage over Garfield even more bananas than it already is, so Garfield would have a fairer fight if I left their speed ratings alone. But with their speed ratings...

Tom's speed is Subsonic outside of reflexes based on being able to keep up with a plane. Tom's profile doesn't specify which plane, but based on what I can see, the take-off speed of a Boeing 747 (a commercial jet plane that had been in production from 1969 until very recently in 2023) is around 160 knots (82.31 m/s) and capping off at Mach 0.85, which gives Tom a speed range of 24-85% the speed of sound (average 54.5% the speed of sound). Garfield reached Mach 2 out of pure curiosity and has the potential to get faster based on how much food there is. So on average Garfield's speed advantage minus reflexes would be 3.67+ times Tom's speed.

Garfield had a feat where he went to bed faster than the lights could be turned off claiming he's faster than the "Speed of Dark," but I checked and with a 1-second delay between flicking the light switch and the lights actually going out, that really doesn't do Garfield any favors. That feat is less of an outlier and more like an ineffectual feat. I'm not an electrician (I only just got a job at an electrical company), so I'm just grasping straws here and have no real clue how light switches work. Someone ought to get the Slow Mo guys to do a video on light switches.

Garfield's BFR JUST makes it as a win-con as SBA's standards set BFR at one week and Garfield could literally kick someone into next week, and usually speed can't do jack about Time Manipulation. We're not Doc Brown. But between the two, Tom has more hax and better AP and reflexes while Garfield has better hax and higher general speed.

This will be Garfield vs 9-B Tom. Everything else... Go nuts!

Here are their profiles:

Garfield's Profile
Tom's Profile

Who takes this?

Garfield: 0
Tom: 0
Inconclusive: 0

I think I'll have to take this thread back. By the time the Garfield CRT is done, it'll be a stomp in Garfield's favor.

We all know Tom fits the definition of scaredy cat. The moment Garfield uses fear manipulation granted by the CRT. Tom would run away.
Would Garfield use that against a fellow cat? Having seen the scans, he's used it against Odie, a dog, barking at him (& Garfield doesn't respect most dogs, Odie included, very much.) & inanimate objects, IIRC.

Would Garfield use that against a fellow cat? Having seen the scans, he's used it against Odie, a dog, barking at him (& Garfield doesn't respect most dogs, Odie included, very much.) & inanimate objects, IIRC.
He'd still use it to attack almost anything including Nermal.

Weaknesses: His plans usually backfire, he's afraid of direct confrontation with dogs, and he can be easily distracted by female cats. He is greedy and can sometimes be ignorant

Has Tom been known to be easily scared? Especially by a smaller, less fit, albeit more aggressive cat like Garfield?

Weaknesses: His plans usually backfire, he's afraid of direct confrontation with dogs, and he can be easily distracted by female cats. He is greedy and can sometimes be ignorant

Has Tom been known to be easily scared? Especially by a smaller, less fit, albeit more aggressive cat like Garfield?
From what I recall, there were episodes where Tom was threatened decapitation (one that was actually followed through after Tom got shot in the face with an entire feast stuffed into a cannon, and one that Tom was barely saved from because the gray mouse sung a lullaby to the king), there was a wild west episode where Tom would get repeatedly shot at the feat by his owner (a rancher), and in some Gene Deitch-era shorts (ex. Down and Outing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Outing ), Tom winds up dealing with an abusive owner that he is regularly intimidated by.

Tom was never the best with humans.

From what I recall, there were episodes where Tom was threatened decapitation (one that was actually followed through after Tom got shot in the face with an entire feast stuffed into a cannon, and one that Tom was barely saved from because the gray mouse sung a lullaby to the king), there was a wild west episode where Tom would get repeatedly shot at the feat by his owner (a rancher), and in some Gene Deitch-era shorts (ex. Down and Outing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Outing ), Tom winds up dealing with an abusive owner that he is regularly intimidated by.

Tom was never the best with humans.
So he's usually scared more by humans than other animals, like smaller cats? & when he is featful, it's usually because of implied lethal threats, as opposed to getting scratched up?

So he's usually scared more by humans than other animals, like smaller cats? & when he is featful, it's usually because of implied lethal threats, as opposed to getting scratched up?
Not necessarily lethal; the owner from Gene Deitch-era resort didn't resort to threats; he just beat Tom up over some nonsense Tom couldn't necessarily control at times.

Tom is not a scaredy cat. When he is angry he literally beats up spike without fear and spike is supposed to be stronger. So basically
Normal Tom = Kind of a coward
Angry Tom = Fearless

Garfield scared off light.. so being angry doesn't help here.
I don't remember that scan, would you be willing to redirect me to it, please?
No offense meant.

Also, does scaring light really mean his Fear Manipulation is stronger even against someone more likely to be angry than fearful?
Light doesn't have the capacity to be scared, nor angry.

Back