• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

FurAffinity vs. Boomer (Welfin vs. Mermaid Man)

Starter_Pack

The Forgotten, Yet Destined
VS Battles
Administrator
Because JAFTEN's exclamation about the battle was too good to not use for the title.

On today's episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, we find our intrepid heroes seeking to answer the call of justice on their way to the local supermarket!

"I told you we were going the wrong way!" Barnacle Boy complained at Mermaid Man, who stared blankly ahead as they drove through a small town they were both unfamiliar with in their Invisible Boat Mobile. "Now we're completely lost! Were you even paying attention to the map?"

The quick-witted Mermaid Man answered promptly. "Huh? What's going on? Who are you?"

Barnacle Boy deadpanned. "I should have guessed." The sidekick pulled the boat over in front of a gas station. "Listen, I'm going to go inside and ask for directions. Why don't you stay here and...just do what you're already doing."

As the Boy Wonder entered the building, Mermaid Man suddenly began to sniff the air. "That smell. That can only be..." Leaping out of the car, he posed with his finger in the air, "...EVIL!"

"Heh, so you sniffed me out, huh?" A large and lanky wolf-man stepped out of the shadows, though upon closer inspection, multiple parts of his body had an insect-like appearance rather than a wolf. Sweat began to bead his brow, and he bent down into a fighting stance. "W-Well, you aren't stopping me. I don't care how old you look, I don't trust you."

The dashing hero quickly turned his gaze at the wolf, who seemed ready to both pounce and flee simultaneously. With the grace of a gazelle, Mermaid Man turned to his opponent and demanded one final question before their confrontation. "Wait, who are you again?"

In the blue corner, we have Mermaid Man from SpongeBob SquarePants, and in the red corner, we have Welfin from Hunter X Hunter.

Hunter%20X%20Hunter%20-%20110%20-%20Large%2004.jpg

31.png

• This is a battle to the death or incapacitation. No holds barred.
  • Neither character are aware of each other beforehand, and there is no prep time.
  • Neither character are allowed any outside help.
  • This battle takes place in a beachside town with the ocean being not too far away, giving Welfin the initial advantage.
  • Speed is equalized.
With all this being said, let the debate begin!

• Retired Hero: 0
  • Retired Soldier: 0
  • Inconclusive: 0

Any idea of what Mermaid Man's opening move is?

Also, I'd say that if Welfin put up Ren or such to expose Ernie to "bloodlust"-infused Nen from Welfin, it'd almost certainly instantly defeat Ernie.
However, Welfin is a paranoid cautious sort.

With the opening scenario, Welfin might be willing to negotiate or ask questions, which is where he'd use Missileman. Can Missileman damage foes with its explosions? I've read on Welfin's profile it implants Black Centipedes instead of dealing lethal damage.

I suppose there's also the question of how their AP, Durability & such match up.

I presume that's a "no" to my first question?
Well, that's a tough question to answer, considering his rampant senility.

He's just as likely to do something like throw a (fairly useless) water ball or utilize his belt as he is to just stand there like an idiot.

Amazing story intro and title.

Though honestly I feel like Welfin would easily be more competent and capable of just fighting. Mermaid man is good but he's a little bit senile.

Well, that's a tough question to answer, considering his rampant senility.

He's just as likely to do something like throw a (fairly useless) water ball or utilize his belt as he is to just stand there like an idiot.
It makes me wonder what Welfin will try to do.

AFAIK, he dislikes Missileman, not using it outside of negotiations, & it doesn't fire at the target unless the target lies or disobeys the order, so....

Wait.

Why doesn't Welfin just give the order "Let me kill you without resistance."?

Ernie can refuse, but then the homing missiles will fire until they hit (Or Ernie has a way to somehow get rid of them.) & if/when they hit, implant the bad brain bursting bugs in Ernie's head to kill him.

Would Welfin do that IC?

Last edited:
It makes me wonder what Welfin will try to do.

AFAIK, he dislikes Missileman, not using it outside of negotiations, & it doesn't fire if the target unless the target lies or disobeys the order, so....

Wait.

Why doesn't Welfin just give the order "Let me kill you without resistance."?

Ernie can refuse, but then the homing missiles will fire until they hit (Or Ernie has a way to somehow get rid of them.) & if/when they hit, implant the bad brain bursting bugs in Ernie's head to kill him.

Would Welfin do that IC?
He would not. He never really had an opportunity to attempt to abuse his powers like that, and even so, that probably wouldn't really come to mind considering his primary goal is negotiation and questioning.

That being said, I could see Mermaid Man's incompetency being seen as defiance, since he would most likely start by demanding who he was, Mermaid Man would forget his sentence halfway through, and he would then fire his missiles thinking he's being messed with.

He would not. He never really had an opportunity to attempt to abuse his powers like that, and even so, that probably wouldn't really come to mind considering his primary goal is negotiation and questioning.

That being said, I could see Mermaid Man's incompetency being seen as defiance, since he would most likely start by demanding who he was, Mermaid Man would forget his sentence halfway through, and he would then fire his missiles thinking he's being messed with.
So, what prevents this from happening?
Both are hostile, Mermaid Man included, even if one is inept & the other tends to prefer caution, negotiation & questioning than attacking immediately.

Back