• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

From Moonrise to Moonset Match 1: Byleth vs Kazakiri Hyouka

MATCH CONDITIONS:
  • The match takes place in Windsor Castle, in the inner courtyard of the upper ward
  • Starting distance is 10 meters
  • Characters will be given only partial knowledge of all their opponent's abilities, particularly any dangerous abilities or immortalities
  • Characters will be given their standard equipment
  • Characters are allowed to change their strategy with their limited knowledge of their opponent's abilities and match conditions
  • The fight will be given a timer of 12 hours to conclude.
  • Speeds are equalized
  • Victory is achieved under what is defined by SBA, with the addendum that characters lose when they remain immobilized, incapacitated, removed from the battlefield, or killed when the timer ends
    • Any characters that are projected to fight past 12 hours will be subject to "Sudden Death" where any immobilization, incapacitation, removal from the battlefield or death will only need to last 10 seconds before a victor is declared
    • Physical pinning is allowed, but the character must be pinned in such a way that they cannot harm the person pinning them
    • To clarify, a tournament victory only requires that the opponent remain immobilized, incapacitated, removed from the battlefield, or killed when the timer ends or for ten seconds during Sudden Death. Meaning that a character could lose a match under conventional VSThread rules but win the tournament match
  • The match will be allowed to continue as normal after the tournament-mandated timer ends for purposes of adding to the profile
  • Any further accommodations for unique abilities will be decided as the tournament gathers more participants
  • In tandem with the above, rules will be adjusted accordingly as well
Byleth, in her Fused with Sothis key (409 gigatons) vs Kazakiri Hyouka (274.44 gigatons)

Last edited:
A period of one week will be given for debate. After 7 days, if the match has not been concluded, the one with the most votes will advance. If it is inconclusive or equal votes by then, a coin toss will be called by either one who submitted the characters in their respective matches.

Zup. Well, for starts, Hyouka has her whole anti-magic passive aura that automatically applies pressure to magic users and does damage to blood vessels and nerves of magicians. Idk if this is a verse-only effect that only applies to people in her verse and won't work even with verse equalization, but I want to point this out. Plus, it might take awhile for it to truly affect Byleth.

Secondly, since she only had one actual fight (and once had to deal with a Golem attempting to merc her and she was having an extremely hard time and once showed up to mess shit up and then leave), Hyouka might attempt to go for CQC and get dominated by Byleth's skill and experience. Although, if Hyouka attempts to just snipe her with her wings and beams, Byleth... will probably eventually get screwed over by Hyouka's range (10 to 100m with Wings, kilometers with beams) if she doesn't have her chalice.

Oh, hey, my character. Didn't notice this started.

Is Byleth's levitation any good in air fights?

Hmmm, so assuming she does go to snipe, it mostly depends on Byleth's equipment. That being said, if they enter CQC, Byleth has a experience/skill advantage. She could use her magic to try to attack at long distance if it came down to it, but assuming that the function works outside the verse, that would eventually cripple Byleth. It sounds like we need to first clarify if Optional Equipment like the Chalice is allowed or not.

Since you were the one that got Byleth to be in this tourny... No, she likely wouldn't have it since you didn't tell Naito to have Byleth start with her optional equipment. Am also sure SBA also assumes that optional equipment isn't included unless said so by the matchmaker, so there is that too.

She could use her magic to try to attack at long distance if it came down to it, but assuming that the function works outside the verse, that would eventually cripple Byleth.
If her magic works via life force then yes, it should work.

Tho it also worked against Vento who uses Telesma, which is a more divine version of Mana than it is life force, i guess

Should be said that when she goes close quarter she does so flying and with her sword. Fighting upwards is difficult.
And, while using her sword, she also uses her wings at the same time. She will use countless wings of energy to simultaneously attack from every angle. Defending against that with just a sword is probably impossible. Too many attacks at once.

Also want to point out that with her regeneration Hyouka can take a lot of damage and keep fighting.

Is it in character for Hyouka to attack from all angles?
Also, Byleth has a Sword Combat Art that is effective against flying opponents, doubling the weapons might, which would make it even more difficult for her to take Byleth's attacks. For Byleth, fighting a upward opponent is little trouble.
With Byleth's combined Enhanced Senses, Mastery of the Sword, Her stats amp's, and her Clairvoyance (As hard to apply to battle as it appears at a look of the profile), Byleth may very well be able to handle the wings from all sides long enough to at least make a Portal to get out of that position and into a better one. Speaking of which, while Naito did say they were thinking of somehow limiting Divine Pulse to some degree, I don't recall seeing them actually limiting it, so if pushed, Byleth has multiple redo buttons to use to get out of a bad, lethal situation.

Last edited:
Is it in character for Hyouka to attack from all angles?
Yes.

Also, Byleth has a Sword Combat Art that is effective against flying opponents, doubling the weapons might, which would make it even more difficult for her to take Byleth's attacks. For Byleth, fighting a upward opponent is little trouble.
What do you mean with "effective"? Like, the main problem with fighting upwards is reach and that the opponent can get behind you at pretty much any moment.

With Byleth's combined Enhanced Senses, Mastery of the Sword, Her stats amp's, and her Clairvoyance (As hard to apply to battle as it appears at a look of the profile), Byleth may very well be able to handle the wings from all sides long enough to at least make a Portal to get out of that position and into a better one. Speaking of which, while Naito did say they were thinking of somehow limiting Divine Pulse to some degree, I don't recall seeing them actually limiting it, so if pushed, Byleth has multiple redo buttons to use to get out of a bad, lethal situation.
I'm not sure how she would deal with it long enough... also remember that Hyouka has an anti-magic field going on the entire time, which deals the opponent internal damage when they use magic. So most of the stuff probably ain't going to work that great.

What both of them said were from Hyouka's only true fight, so she will likely do that since we don't know what else she would do. Plus, Byleth has a limited amount of DPs (she has 13 at most, in fact), so she will eventually run out and be stuck. I think.

Yes.

What do you mean with "effective"? Like, the main problem with fighting upwards is reach and that the opponent can get behind you at pretty much any moment.

I'm not sure how she would deal with it long enough... also remember that Hyouka has an anti-magic field going on the entire time, which deals the opponent internal damage when they use magic. So most of the stuff probably ain't going to work that great.

And I quote from the page itself,

• Grounder: An attack that is effective against fliers, which double the weapon's might.
I can somewhat see the problem with the range, but this can be somewhat mitigated via Portals, or even just the Sword of The Creator if Hyouka doesn't get too far.

And none of what I have stated is listed as part of Byleth's Magic. They all come from either her naturally passive skills/abilities, her Crest of Flames, or are just blatantly part of her naturally. In the case of the Portal, it's a little more unclear, but it's not stated to be Magic.
What both of them said were from Hyouka's only true fight, so she will likely do that since we don't know what else she would do. Plus, Byleth has a limited amount of DPs (she has 13 at most, in fact), so she will eventually run out and be stuck. I think.
That's true that she has 13 at most, but 13 should be more than enough for a Gifted Tactical Master to use to get into a advantageous Position.

Everything stated here is explicitly on her profile. Game Mechanic or not, it is on the Profile used for this match. As such, any limitations the profile would have would apply here. Likewise, any abilities the profile would have would apply here here. She can only use 13 Divine Pulses. That's just the way it is because the profile says so for this match. If you'd like to change that in some degree, try a CRT.

Everything stated here is explicitly on her profile. Game Mechanic or not, it is on the Profile used for this match. As such, any limitations the profile would have would apply here. Likewise, any abilities the profile would have would apply here here. She can only use 13 Divine Pulses. That's just the way it is because the profile says so for this match. If you'd like to change that in some degree, try a CRT.
I think Vel meant what you said about Byleth's Grounder being x2 effective against Hyouka than her DP limit. I think. Idk. Although, didn't Byleth just use her portal once in a cutscene and never again in the game or smth? So I am unsure if Byleth would even think to use 'em. Also, speaking of DPs, Byleth would likely use a DP once she uses magic since Hyouka's anti-magic field would probs hurt a shit-ton - but this also would also help her know that using magic is a horrible idea against Hyouka.

I think Vel meant what you said about Byleth's Grounder being x2 effective against Hyouka than her DP limit. I think. Idk. Although, didn't Byleth just use her portal once in a cutscene and never again in the game or smth? So I am unsure if Byleth would even think to use 'em. Also, speaking of DPs, Byleth would likely use a DP once she uses magic since Hyouka's anti-magic field would probs hurt a shit-ton - but this also would also help her know that using magic is a horrible idea against Hyouka.
If that is what Vel meant, they chose a weird message to reply to. I can agree that maybe the exact multiplier can be questioned, but the fact that it's on the page kinda implies that it's meant to be that Byleth can use it for that anti-air purpose. And yes, Byleth did only use it once. Not exactly the most in character thing, I'll give you that one. But isn't it stated in the rules that the character's will have some degree of knowledge on the enemies abilities and be allowed to change strategy accordingly? If this isn't a situation that would apply, I dunno what is, I'd imagine Byleth would at least be informed that her opponent has some kind of Anti-Magic ability. Even if she did have to waste a DP on it though (Which I don't think she would assuming these conditions), that still gives her 12 left to use through the battle.

True, true. I'll give you that. But that would also limit Byleth's range options by a bit, since she doesn't have her CoB, so she can only use Grounder with SotC. After all, even with portals, it is going to be a bothersome thing for her to deal with an opponent with unrestrained flight and immense regen ability. Sure, Byleth knows about her core, but knowing is only half the battle - actually doing the act with her weird sword-whip is going to be very hard. We also have to consider Hyouka is likely aware of DPs as well due to the match rules. So she might be more willing to spam her range advantage.

True, it would be troublesome, especially if Hyouka adapts her strategy to longer range. That being said, Byleth also has Regen- High-Low (Though it should be noted the page implies it's prolly not combat applicable.), and she also has After Images via the Astra Combat Art, which may possibly mess with Hyouka. More importantly and concretely though, Byleth still has a superior AP and a Intellect Advantage, as well as more Battle Experience. Considering the AP gap between Byleth and the Calc for the character that Hyouka was fighting, if Byleth get's a good few hit's off in succession, she could very well end up damaging the core. And considering that Byleth has the DP's, she has more room to mess up than Hyouka, even if Hyouka has a range advantage.

Doesn't Byleth have this crazy Ressurection stuff too?
That's only from her Divine Pulse, aka, Byleth's limited use time rewind powers. Still an advantage for her, tho.
It also says they have to enter hibernation so idk if it's combat applicable.

Edit: Woops, I thought you said regen. Idk about ressurection. Also it was already mentioned...

Yeah, I think Byleth has the edge in this.
While you were mistaken, I do want to mention that the hibernation period for Byleth's regen is 100-1000 years. So very non-combat applicable... 'sides Divine Pulse also helps in keeping Byleth alive, so her high-low regen is pointless.

Just going to give my two cents on this, not gonna vote.

Byleth's range is actually pretty long with the Sword of the Creator. Byleth is known to swing it around like a flail, so there's that.

This hasn't been applied to her profile yet (because I'm lazy), but it's been accepted that all FE characters with passive healing effects (which includes Byleth with her Seiros Shield, which I have no idea why it's optional equipment) have Low-Mid Regen.

Byleth also has some degree of resistance to magic if she applies the Sothis Shield buff to herself.

Does she usually have the Seiros Shield?

I'm also like 95% sure the entire idea of the index characters is that they explicitly use some weird science stuff and not magic
Nah, the series is 50-50 on weird science stuff and weird magical bullshit. And there's the protag that has the High 1-C Right Hand, but kek. Isn't too important. Also, I'm pretty sure that the thing that powers Hyouka and her attacks isn't magic (which is called AIM and is why Hyouka also has that anti-magic thingy going on), so Seiros Shield won't really offer that much protection.

Again, Byleth's own natural advantages and the prior knowledge she has allows her to score a win in this match more often than not, IMO.

Back