• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_Wright_Way

VS Battles
Retired
Focal Point Universe Hub: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/4101714?useskin=oasis

~

This is ..... MacReady at Outpost 31. Do not.... I repeat, do not respond. Quarantine.... Alien lifeform.... if it gets out... every single lifeform on the face of the Earth.... and nothing can stop it! Repeat: do not respond!"

That was the broken call that started it all. That was the call that drew attention to Armageddon.

~

"The following mission is a mission of maximum importance." Director Fury began. "There is a hostile, presumably viral alien life form at large in the arctic. We do not know who is infected, how many are infected, or how far this pathogen has spread." The Meeting Room darkened, a presentation board illuminated behind the Director. "We do, however, have theories on how this lifeform operates." The board flickered to show an image of a human being. "Once infected, the lifeform infects the cells, likely targeting the figure's DNA." The presentation zoomed in, showing the man's cellular structure. "From there, it assimilates the cell, copies it, and spreads out to infect other cells." The image showed exactly that, with the infected cells shown in red. They quickly spread over the rest of the man. "What remains is apparently indistinguishable from a human being. We do not know how this infection spreads, how long it takes, or if there is any potential cure."

The board turned off, the room illuminated again. "Each and every one of you will be sent to different Arctic Outposts to contain this threat before it reaches the world at large." Large files slid across the table to each of the present agents. "Your objectives are to eliminate the alien threat, discover how it infects other living beings, and save any potential survivors, in that order of importance. Given the current absence of most primary Avengers, we must leave this up to you. Dismissed."

~

Agent: Clint Barton

Codename: Hawkeye

Assignment: Outpost 31

General info surrounding staff, including names, occupation, and relevant medical history, disclosed within.

~

From the outside, Outpost 31 was perfectly normal. Nothing had happened, nothing was wrong, business as usual. The six men inside milled about their jobs like usual, hardly starting even a passing conversation. That was because they didn't need to. These "men" already knew everything they needed to.

Each of the "men" froze as the sound of a door opening rang out throughout the small base. These "men" shared knowing looks as the door shrieked and scraped accross the ice as it closed. "The "men" did not know the man with the bow who had entered their midst. But they knew exactly what to do with that which they did not know.

~

Takes place at Outpost 31.

Hawkeye starts at one of entrances. He knows how The Thing's assimilation works, but not how it infects people. He does not know who all is infected. He is fully equipped.

The Thing starts as six separate assimilated humans. They know Hawkeye is at an entrance but not which one. None of them start in the same room as Hawkeye, nor do they have any knowledge of him.

Speed Equalized.

Hawkeye Poster
vs.
Norris-thing

If Hawkeye gets even touched once, he's doomed since The Thing can attack on a celluar level. That being said, Hawkeye has Acid Tip, Taser and maybe Thermal Arrows might be able to harm it. Explosive Arrows are extremely potent here as they can damage the Helicarrier's Engine Area, but are any of Hawkeye's stuff enough to bypass The Thing's Low-High regen?

Sergeant Hypocrite said:
If Hawkeye gets even touched once, he's doomed since The Thing can attack on a celluar level. That being said, Hawkeye has Acid Tip, Taser and maybe Thermal Arrows might be able to harm it. Explosive Arrows are extremely potent here as they can damage the Helicarrier's Engine Area, but are any of Hawkeye's stuff enough to bypass The Thing's Low-High regen?
Explosive Arrows are likely enough, if they can slightly harm Loki then that's more than enough to kill The Thing through sheer AP.

The issue is odds are stacked against Hawkeye here, he's on an exterminate mission that involves rescue so he won't be killing on sight.

I'll comment more later when I have the time.

Are there any other animals, by the way?

What's the speed difference, here?

Both are Peak Human (or, at least, The Thing is at its best), but Hawkeye has Massively Hypersonic Reactions.

Hrmm. It's hard to say, because with MHS reactions, there is literally zero way for The Thing to land a hit, as Hawkeye is basically playing SUPERHOT.

Which, as anyone who has played the game can testify, makes dangerous situations a whole lot easier to handle.

That still seems... incredibly difficult, when the dude is hundreds of times faster in reactions and sees The Thing in practical slowmo.

Should I equalize speed or will that make things to easy for Mr Carpenter's Greatest Monster?

That's sorta the problem. Hawkeye really doesn't have any abilities that massively assist him here, so either he outspeeds to hell or he gets bodied.

I say equalize it. Barton is an extremely skill marksman even in enclosed spaces, and since normal infectious diseases can be airborne I don't see him letting anyone get particularly close until he knows who's safe and who isn't.

This all comes down to if the Things can sneak attack Barton. He won't let anyone leave until he can be sure exactly who is uninfected which will cause the Things to try and assimilate him.

I honestly think Barton takes this. Worst comes to worst he can just abandon the building and try to snipe the Things from outside in the wide open space.

Moritzva said:
That's sorta the problem. Hawkeye really doesn't have any abilities that massively assist him here, so either he outspeeds to hell or he gets bodied.
Well that's not right. Acid arrows are the perfect counter to the Thing and the explosion arrows should be enough to vaporize it. Anyone know how hot the thermal arrows get?

Acid arrows won't tear down it's whole body, and then it'll spray & pray him down. Not to mention, he won't know that the humans are The Thing, no?

I mean, they're in an arctic base. Going outside is a good way to freeze to death and The Thing would be willing to just lock him outside if he leaves.

I assumed Barton had ways to survive the cold based on the narrative in the op. You've also gotta consider the fact that the Thing has, or at least believes it has, the advantage meaning it will likely for-go a stealthy approach.

I mean, you can survive for a brief time with winter clothing, but you'll still eventually freeze to death. Camping outside simply isn't an option in a place like this.

Clint has the tools to kill the Thing, but the Things stealth and surprise factor here is its greatest asset.

Given that he already knows that that threat is likely a viral one capable of assimilating cells and has likely already infected someone, he'll already know to be cautious. And considering he works with/trained along side some of the most paranoid super spys in the world, he'll likely be on edge and on the lookout for something suspicious. The Thing can only mimic human behavior so well.

It all really depends on how well The Thing can sneak up on Clint. Does Clint have knowledge on who's already at the base? He could try questioning one of them to lure out the fakes.

Maybe give him general info on the staff, like their names, occupation at the base, presence of medical implants. This could help Clint deduce the presence of the Thing.

Well here's how I see it going down:

Barton guards the entrances while stoping anyone who is trying to escape before they even come within 20 feet of him. He interrogates them at arrow-point, asking them a series of questions to determine if they are who they say they are, paying attention to their behavior and mannerisms.

Eventually, one of the Things realizes the jig is up, and tries to attack Hawkeye, only for it to be shot down and vaporized. This informs Hawkeye that the alien is capable of shapeshifting after it infects a host, and depending on how the initial encounter goes, he can figure out if it can divide itself or is weak to fire. Hawkeye sweeps the other entrances and repeats the process with his new knowledge.

Hawkeye takes down at most 2 more Things before it realizes it can't trick this human and decides to switch its approach. The Thing either starts dividing up its remaining hosts (literally) so that the smaller Things can either ambush Hawkeye, infect more suriviors to try and outnumber him, or escape.

While this is happening, Hawkeye is gathering up the non-infected survivors and either helping them escape the base or questioning them as to what is going on. They either tell them everything they know of the Thing or at least point him towards whatever research they do have. This informs Clint as to how the Thing infects others and that destroying the cells is the key, since the film shows that the crew was able to figure this out and record it. Hawkeye realizes that the Thing is too dangerous to let escape and begins destroying the entrances to lessen the chances of the Thing escaping.

Eventually, Hawkeye encounters the Thing once more, probably as one of its smaller forms and/or infecting a survivor. The smaller Things may prove a bit of a challenge due to their size, numbers, regen and shapeshifting, but Hawkeye should be able to dispatch them with superior speed, skill and firepower.

I think Hawkeye eventually takes this 7/10. His speed on top of his shooting skills will let him outmanvuer the Thing, even in close quarters. His basic knowledge will grow more advanced as he battles the Things (especially since they are less intelligent when small) and as gains knowledge from the base/survivors. Eventually, the Thing will have only one exit to escape through, and no more survivors to infect, putting him in a direct course with Hawkeye and his arrows.

I still feel like this is massively unfair with speed unequalized since there is zero reality where The Thing can land a hit besides managing to consent him into hugging him.

Moritzva said:
I still feel like this is massively unfair with speed unequalized since there is zero reality where The Thing can land a hit besides managing to consent him into hugging him.
I'll also note that I second this

This could be very bad for Hawkeye depending on the arrows he uses. In particular, if he goes for an explosive arrow to try to deal with multiple targets at once, although it would incinerate a good chunk of cells, what it would do even more is propel the rest of the cells over large distances, creating a widespread infectious biohazard zone of microscopic cells in the air.

Speed equalized makes this a much more dangerous situation. I'm going to retract my vote for Hawkeye until further notice. If The Thing really only requires a touch it's only a matter of time before it happens(unless Hawkeye is just that much skilled)

With speed equalized I think I might go Thing 7/10.

Hawkeye can take 1-3 Things at once with his skill and gear, but taking on multiple small Things with the ability to spit acid and instantly morph to shoot off stingers? In an inclosed space? He loses that fight.

Even with the knowledge on the Thing and its abilities/weaknesses, I don't think he can handle being swarmed by 5-8 of them while in a tight hallway.

3rd greatest John Carpenter film FRA

I agree with Ptso

Hawkeye hasn't really came across anything like The Thing before. The only real advantage he had was being massively faster than it plus his skill advantage. His peak senses would allow him to sense The Thing but eventually her most likely get overwhelmed.

Back