• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fight for 5th 8-B, spooky edition. Janus vs The Sorrow.

just what the **** IS this character? And I don't mean it as "oh, he's so strong", I mean literally, what is he?

A punching bag.

Jokes aside, he was a human originally. He sassed against a God about how eternity in heaven is no better than hell, and either out of naivite or malicious Ness the God chose to take that as Janus wanting to be reborn as something that can eternally struggle for power.

So, Janus got reincarnated as a worm with Re:Monster like mechanics that let him evolve into better species, in a world where the top tiers can cause black holes, neutron stars and control the causality of multiple timelines.

Currently, he is a High Ghilian. A mummy like undead that can take the shape of any humanoid it eats.

So, what exactly can The Sorrow do to win here?

Even assuming he can do the controller possession on a non-player character, Janus should be able to build up resistance to it.

I don't think instead death works on undead.

BFR won't work because Janus can use Gatekeeper to come back.

Janus erased the soul of all those he killed, so summoning those won't work.

Beyond that, physical attacks won't work due to regénye either, so he seems to be coming up short in ways to kill Janus.

Yeah he does, but The Sorrow never displays that kind of 4th wall break, his is more like passive aggressive, talking to the player, helping him out with codes etc
the profile makes it seem like he wasn't even an actual enemy against Snake unlike Mantis

saying he can build up resistance to the controller snatch is quite NLF
He can build up resistance to causality manipulation that fused two timelines together.

He has shown building resistance to slave contracts and body control.

So, what is the NLF? We don't even consider fourth wall breaks tier 2, and the effects to ability he can adapt to for certain.

ok so

1) His death manip works on dead and non-corporeals as well, he can do it to Snake who was dead at the time of their encounter
2) He doesn't BFR only the body, he can also BFR the soul alone. it's under his soul manip, it's not clear if he just destroyed Mantis' soul or if he sent it to the underworld, given his role the latter is more likely

the profile makes it seem like he wasn't even an actual enemy against Snake unlike Mantis
It's not that "the profile makes it seem" that he wasn't an enemy to Snake, he WASN'T, he outright helps him. It's just that The Sorrow never used the controller thingy and it's a big assumption to say he would

And even then, what Mantis does is nothing special really, the controller vibrating is just a way to show that he's using his Telekinesis on Snake.

Janus can act as a soul as well, and his dimensional travel would still function.

As for death manipulation on contact, Janus will probably abuse duality and phoenix to eventually become immune to it.

Duality let's him split the timeline in two, and act differently in the two. So, while in one he is trying to evade the enemy, he can charge them in the other. Both timelines get any positives while no negatives (so, if he makes someone sign a slave contract, they'll be his slave in both timelines, but if he signs one, he won't be in the other timeline). He also keeps resistances even if killed, so he can jump at an enemy's attack over and over to become immune to them.

For phoenix, every time he gets a near death experience he gains 3% chance to resurrect when killed, becoming immune to whatever killed him. Him being killed in an alternate timeline seems to count as well.

And, he does kick a poltergeist away at some point as I recall, and can become a poltergeist himself at will.

Does he have some sort of precog to know to use Phoenix and duality before touching the corpse? (and you don't have to touch it, you just have to be near it) because otherwise it's a big assumption to say he does if he doesn't just spam it.

Also, what does he do in character? Because The Sorrow just flies around and stays out of range while spamming energy projection and has a precog that lets him see stuff decades in advance.

His profile states that he CAN kill spirits of his enemies after killing their bodies, did he really just NEVER kill anyone without also killing his soul? Mind that he can summon people even if they weren't directly killed by the character

He uses duality by default, since he would have long since died if he didn't spam it. He prefers to have one of his Paths go in and charge his enemy while the other moves to safety.

The wording might be due to some change, but yes. As a demiurge, he causes true death in anyone he kills. Öt bites him in the ass when he shapeshifts into a human and is challange to a fight to the death, with some cleric's present to resurrect his enemy, where he was forced to fake his death. I can get the quote if you need.

Phoenix is a passive skill, so he can't not use it.

And as for how he uses duality:

[Duality]
[You have split Paths]
[You are now in Path A]
For the second time, I thrust my hand through Zlosta’s chest. For the second time, I watched her face contort into pain, rage and disbelief. For the second time, I was engulfed in flames.
[You are now in the True Path]
[Skill {Lesser Fire Resistance} has gained a Level.] [Skill {Lesser Fire Resistance} has gained a Level.] [Skill {Lesser Fire Resistance} has gained a Level.]
How many times could I keep attacking her in an alternate path and letting her kill me until I became completely immune to her methods of killing me?
As many as it took.
[You have split Paths]
(Sorry for the fragmented quote, quoting manually doesn't work well on phone.)

Oh, so he has to do it over and over again to gain resistance, right? The SOrrow just kinda, precogs it and... doesn't do that.

It seems like The Sorrow doesn't have a way to directly take down Janus, but what about him, does he bypass Type 2 and 7 imm and immateriality? Can he even reach him, given his true flight, teleport and the fact he stays out of reach in-character, janus' range and mobility seem to both be subpar.

I think we can both agree that if this ends up as an attrition fight, The Sorrow handily takes it due to infinite stamina and the various immortalities and self-sustenance

I mean, his precog relies on talking to the spirit of dead people, doesn't it?
Assuming it summons someone who died near Janus, no-one knows his powers' mechanics except two beings who are alive, and summoning Giggles would be suicide either way.

Plus, the problem is still the same, he needs to kill both Janus' simultaneously or else they'll start building resistance.

Janus can pseudo-fly on ice or earth he is making fly, and he can make rock hands the size of the Statue of Liberty. I doubt Janus is losing the ranged fight. Immortality type 7 is not really worth much, and type 2 still means he can be maimed and incapacitated. Plus, if he possesses a corpse and the corpse gets killed, soul destruction should kick in.

And, no, I don't agree with that. Janus also has infinite stamina, but the longer they fight the more his abilities and powers will level up, as will his resistance to anything it attacks him with. And if the fight gets too drawn out, he'll just get 100% phoenix and just become immune to the few abilities that could be used to put him down.

I mean, his precog relies on talking to the spirit of dead people, doesn't it?
nope, he has plain supernatural precog, that one is analytical prediction, a different thing
nus can pseudo-fly on ice or earth he is making fly, and he can make rock hands the size of the Statue of Liberty. I doubt Janus is losing the ranged fight
Can he even touch him in this form, from what you said it seems like his MPI is not that good and is mostly reliant on him becoming a ghost himself, and The Sorrow just kinda... sees it coming and tps out of the way
Immortality type 7 is not really worth much
I mean, it kinda is
And, no, I don't agree with that. Janus also has infinite stamina, but the longer they fight the more his abilities and powers will level up, as will his resistance to anything it attacks him with. And if the fight gets too drawn out, he'll just get 100% phoenix and just become immune to the few abilities that could be used to put him down.
And he'll eventually die of starvation, thirst or old age while The Sorrow slowly dribbles at his health

BTW, there's no dimensional travel on his profile, so the soul BFR thing looks like it would work

He won't die of starvation or thirst, no. He is undead. He will go berserk without human flesh to eat after a week, but even assuming he doesn't just grab a random human from central park, by then he will have been plenty immune to most of his abilities.

Or he can just make a portal back to his base, and get some food there.

And no, he kicked a ghkst away as a skeleton. The fact that he can become an incorporeal ghost was just on top of that. And as a ghost he can also teleport

And, it's his portal creation, Gatekeeper, that let's him go from a gate to any other gate he has ever used, this including literal teleportation gates.

Places that are warded against aptial and dimensional travel are out of bounds for him, but that doesn't really matter to him here.

Wait, now that I think of it, can Janus even see The Sorrow? He's invisible by default
He won't die of starvation or thirst, no.
Then he should have Self-sustenance, he doesn't right now. What about old age? There's no immortality type 1
And, it's his portal creation, Gatekeeper, that let's him go from a gate to any other gate he has ever used, this including literal teleportation gates.
Does this include traveling from one dimension to another tho? And from what I gather from the profile, he needs to have a door to do this, he can make it himself, but it's kinda hard when the place where The Sorrow BFR's you is a literal river with waist-high water and nothing else and you're an incorporeal ghost in there

Seventh sense gives him an in-depth kniwledge of any threats he has to deal with. Even assuming that the invisibility also counts for thermic presence, all vibrations, infra-red and everything else, that would let Janus know whenever he is being attacked and throw attacks back.

Life draining something that is not alive makes little sense, but he'd grow resistance to it.

He is undead. His flesh is dead. It's impossible for him to biologically age. And you can't be honestly arguing that Janus will be stumped for decades here.

By that point, he may very well just go on a rampage and kill every human, animal and plant around to level up and grow stronger than he can even affect.

Janus also has passive mindhax with Muliberity that's going to be a big problem. Especially against someone who's depressed.

So, he doesn't resist the BFR, uh? That's kind of an issue, because it's The Sorrow's opening move, even before the summoning

Especially against someone who's depressed.
Neh he's not really depressed, he's just a catalyst for the sorrow of the dead as a whole due to the fact that heìs the only one who can actively interact and talk with them, he's more of the "warrior", "angry" kind of sad, his catchphrase is "The spirit of the warrior will always be with you" after all

Last edited:
Seventh sense gives him an in-depth kniwledge of any threats he has to deal with. Even assuming that the invisibility also counts for thermic presence, all vibrations, infra-red and everything else, that would let Janus know whenever he is being attacked and throw attacks back.
None of that would be enough to detect a literal incorporeal spirit, so Janus is stuck with generally knowing when he's being attacked and nothing more, which is a HUGE deal, since he won't be able to actively put up an offense due to literally not being able to see his opponent
He is undead. His flesh is dead. It's impossible for him to biologically age
Then add the abilities, they are missing
Janus also has passive mindhax with Muliberity that's going to be a big problem. Especially against someone who's depressed.
That one looks a lot more like social influencing tbh, and as I've said, The Sorrow isn't depressed

The ability that makes him create portals is the same ability that let's him experience multiple timelines at once, and when he teleported to the human settlement they detected him as a dimensional traveler.

He can also use the RETURN prompt to make himself respawn at a specific location.

And no, it is not social influencing. It prompted [Mental Resistance] from Janus' adaptation, and causes others to fall in love with the user of the ability in literal seconds to the extent that they throw their lives away for them. The slithercreep he got the power from had this reaction to him being able to attack her.

The sonic crack burst through the air. Erzili’s eyes widened.
[Diamond bullet] tore through her skull. A hole, straight in between her eyes.
“My, my, Erzili is surprised.”
There was no blood, or brain matter, no skull or damage. The hole closed up, gelatinous matter mending the wound and treating it like a non-issue. Erzili’s eyes sparkled with amusement and curiosity.
“This is the first time a person has been able to harm Erzili after being exposed to Erzili’s allure.”

And no, seventh sense also gives a description of his enemy, the location of the attacker, and a bunch of other stuff. He also, again, has attacks as large as the statue of liberty, so he can just go full aoe without much care in the world.

And no, it is not social influencing. It prompted [Mental Resistance] from Janus' adaptation, and causes others to fall in love with the user of the ability in literal seconds to the extent that they throw their lives away for them. The slithercreep he got the power from had this reaction to him being able to attack her.
Does this work on incorporeals? And it prompting a "mental resistance" doesn't mean much, Social Influencing also effects the mind, so does mere superhuman charm
And no, seventh sense also gives a description of his enemy, the location of the attacker, and a bunch of other stuff.
the ATTACKER, if he doesn't attack and just stands there (as he usually does) he won't be detected, correct?
He also, again, has attacks as large as the statue of liberty, so he can just go full aoe without much care in the world.
Beside none of this being on his profile range-wise (that seems to be a trend, almost nothing of what you're talking about is on the profile), The Sorrow just precogs and tps away

The most pressing matter is: Does he resist the BFR? Can he come back to his dimension as a disembodied soul? Can he come back to life when deprived of his soul? Can he come back at all? Because from what's on the profile, the answer seems to be no

Besides the fact that mind manipulating aura would have no reason to be resisted through incorporeal itsy, yes, it specifically worked on a poltergeist. The soul of a dead bunny girl, can't remember her name.

He doesn't resist it, but can create portals to come back. He can function as a wraith, a soul with no body that is "unseen and unfelt", and the soul would also be able to attack people with magic as he did when his skink body was killed.

Back