• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feathers and Megaphones

I swear, I'm going to get a reputation on this site for asking dumb, "blatantly obvious" questions without any rhyme or reason.

Today's piece of nonsense has to do with tickling and shouting at people who can blow up planets.

Veggietalesnightmarefuel 4773
Either my brain is broken, or I'm a troll who is running out of ideas to keep the admins busy. I couldn't tell you which.

My possibly damaged brain reminded me of this little thing called "Required Secondary Powers," which happened to be one of my favorite little tropes in fiction. It involves examining all of the little supporting powers that need to come with it in order for the powers to work, and watching what happens when you don't get the whole suite. If Superman didn't have the required secondary power of inertial dampening, then any plane he tried to catch would be rended to pieces as he just hovered there, his welcoming hands having accidentally shredded the thing like an arm-shaped spike. Other fun ones are Flash slip-sliding around on solid concrete, Sakuya Izayoi being unable to see or breathe because light and oxygen have stopped moving, and super strong and tough characters being flung about by anything that hits remotely as hard as they do because they can't anchor themselves in place to properly brace themselves against the attack and get knocked into the stratosphere, even though they're uninjured, or wind up waist-deep in the ground trying to lift a giant robot.

I'm more interested in Enhanced Senses.

Unlike the above scenarios I mentioned, the issues present in super senses are mentioned on the page as a common weakness. It's fairly common, with characters like Sephiroth and Clefable who can hear a pin that was dropped a mile away and Batman being able to remember the shape of any face he punched.

While I don't find much fun in reading about "Captain Migraine, and His Super League of Squinters," I wish to know more about intentional over-stimulation, such as with Sound Manipulation, powerful flashes of light (the Color Spray spell, for example), or perhaps, yes, the Grim Tickler's feather at the top of the page?

What does our wiki say about sensory overload in battles? Could a surprise super-shout through a megaphone have a nasty effect on a guy who can hear a mouse squak fifty feet away? Would a person capable of seeing the light bouncing off a man a mile away be able to ignore a redirect beam froma lighthouse? Can a giant feather, given a wielder with a seemingly bottomless supply of stamina, tickle a character until he eventually dies to asphyxiation, begging and pleading for mercy?

Sadistic author-brains need to know!

Back