• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail Hundred Year Quest Discussion Thread 9

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Wow, this is a really deep conversation for fricking Fairy Tail
You be surprise as to how deep it can bee, parallel universes, different paths on how the story could have gone if they did things differently or how they would live in different circumstances

He's talking about how thematic and deep the plot and characters could be, not metaphysical stuff.

The Calaca said:
This could have been in the manga, but Mashima is lazy.
First, Mashima is not Lazy, he's working on 3 weekly to bi-weekly manga right now, so fast after Fairy Tail ended too, he works hard for us, second, fairy tail is supposed to be a fun light-hearted feel good series, not an existential story about what's right in life, and if you missed that, then this manga isn't for you, if he wanted to do a deep story, be probably could have, but that's not what he wanted for Fairy Tail, he wanted it to be a family and friendship filled story that's supposed to be fun for everyone

You should check out Rave Master, it's likely more what you're after in that aspect

even the multiverse in the story is deep as well as the plot could have gone in so many direction, That is what I like about those kinds of story, uncountable number of possibilities the plot can go, it can go up, down, back, forth, side to side, anywhere you like.

The series' main themes are pretty simple, but if a few years of literature class has thought me anything it's that the simple ideas can be really weighted when you stop and really consider them.

By lazy I meant that his narrative and storytelling is lazy. He doesn't want to give a good story at all if everything is solved with the first thing he came up with when he was first cornered. If there's a reason why Natsu isn't a Gary Stu like Ichigo or Kirito, it's because he doesn't solve the plot in a different way, overwhelming the narrative consistency with different elements. It's just the same element overused. His characters while entertaining, are completely reciclated and don't show any other layer than their recurrent jokes.

Same with villains. Hades was interesting af when first introduced. What do you remember of his ideology and what he "discovered" about magic?

Acno's funny to see because he's ******* badass, but he received a worst treatment than Yhwach.

I tried reading Rave, but I forgot because I got bored in Ch. 10. Maybe I'm too biased against Mashima to consider it.

@David Of course, but Mashima didn't put a lot of effort in making his themes memorable. I'm pretty sure that FT will not be as popular as it is now in some years, because it didn't do anything brave to be considered as such.

Is the Ice Trail Spin-Off canon? Because Guildarts defended more than 30 Beams of Light and also deflected others before

@The Calaca

That's fair, Fairy Tail has a lot of flaws and it's understandable if you don't like it or where it ended up, I just don't think the manga was trying to be very deep, so I don't hold it up to those expectations, but it's completely understandable if you do

I just love this series, so I'm able to forgive it's flaws

Hiro wants his story to be like one of those RPG games, where you take on a task and accomplish it, and let the story develope over time. That is why he created Fairy Tail as a guild hall where people can comeback and hang out after they are done with a job, and the story is about having a place to call home. With Hades, he was in a state of false impression, and with Acnologia, he had reasonable motivations for what he did, cliche, yes but reasonable, and he was defeated in the same way that was build up with evidence throughout the series.

That's okay. You can love the series, and if you know that it has flaws it's even better.

I personally think that we've grown more mature, Mitch. You were a lot more adamant in the past so I was more aggresive, but I'm glad to see that's in the past. Rin was surprised with your attitude when she came back here

BTW, contrary to what some of you might think, I don't hate FT even if I say so. I just think it could have been a great series, but because of a bad author it sunk. If anything, I hate Mashima XD.

ShadowGun45 said:
Is the Ice Trail Spin-Off canon? Because Guildarts defended more than 30 Beams of Light and also deflected others before
Is that even considered Canon?

@Calaca if u stopped reading RAVE at like chapter 10 u really didn't get anywhere, that story doesn't really kick off till around the 50's then it gets real good. If it's a matter of its themes it does them well.

In FT's defence, the series in itself never presented itself as being some big philosophical or thematic masterpiece. It was what you see on the tin is what you get, it's just a fun thing we're Mashima didn't want to make his heroes as edgy or as serious as Haru from RAVE- according to himself. FT wasn't even going to have a larger overarching story, he very literally wanted to make it just a bunch of random adventures. In essence FT was and in a sense still is a slice of life, it just got pulled into being constantly compared to other Shonen because he had to give it an overarching plot to try and keep things from turning stale.

Exactly, and I remember in an interview somewhere is that Hiro did not like how Rave became dark and edgy, and wanted to create a light hearted story, he said something similar during the Tartaros arc, that is why he had Alvarez based on Hope

@David I'm aware that 10 chapters isn't enough to reach the real deal, I just dropped it because I was bored and wanted to read something that could catch me up.

Look, I have no problem with bland short stories, but FT went beyond that when he tapped into emotional stories (Dear Kaby, FFS, that's one of the best stories it has) and started getting more serious. I don't need a deep plot like Evangelion or Fullmetal Alchemist. JoJo's has no deep themes, same with Yu Yu Hakusho, yet those shows are awesome because they work their characters and plot way better.

The Calaca said:
That's okay. You can love the series, and if you know that it has flaws it's even better.
I personally think that we've grown more mature, Mitch. You were a lot more adamant in the past so I was more aggresive, but I'm glad to see that's in the past. Rin was surprised with your attitude when she came back here

BTW, contrary to what some of you might think, I don't hate FT even if I say so. I just think it could have been a great series, but because of a bad author it sunk. If anything, I hate Mashima XD.
Yeah, I used to be a lot more defensive on things, and while I still occasionally get like that, I realized why should I even be like that? There are plenty of people who have completely different opinions from me, and they're not at fault for that, I get why people might not like Fairy Tail it has a lot of flaws and it's ok to not like it, and I never thought you hated it, I thought you might be neutral about it, and it's ok to be like that, one man's treasure is another man's poison

I guess I just grew up a little when it comes to a debate and talking to people who have different ideas and opinions than me

If you wanted a deeper story then Hiro could have gone the route of Edolas or his other parallel universe stories like in the GMG

CNBA3 said:
Exactly, and I remember in an interview somewhere is that Hiro did not like how Rave became dark and edgy, and wanted to create a light hearted story, he said something similar during the Tartaros arc, that is why he had Alvarez based on Hope
Light hearted story isn't an excuse for doing a bad story.

OG Dragon Ball was pure adventure and comedy, yet its story until 23rd Budokai Tournament is awesome.

And despite I have never watched this, there's a reason why people like and argue about My Little Pony where Friendship is Magic too.

I'm not arguing that nor am I suggesting the series never hit any serious notes. My point is the way the series turned out isn't the way it was initially envisioned, he wanted to do something but last minute had to change it all and make it up as he went along and still somehow managed to garner as much support as he did.

I don't think that Mashima is a bad story teller, no one garners this much support by being a bad storyteller. Is FT his best? No, not by a long shot, but it's definitely better than a lot of stuff out there.

I think he had to change everything from way before. I mean, if the series was planned to do that, what was Zeref's deal?

Sex sells, Morty

I too found it uninteresting in the beginning until Oracion Seis arc where the real adventure and action kicked off. It is suppose to be a multi adventure where the story developed overtime, it is not like FMA where it is one long consistant story

Can we all agree that regardless of Mashima's Storytelling, he draws some really good art, and that Fairy Tail looks gorgeous

Also yeah, Rave Master is a superior consistent story when compared to Fairy Tail, but i like Fairy Tail's characters and story way more, Rave Master was kinda depressing

@Calaca Everything more or less changed around the phantom lord arc- that's where it was initially supposed to end. Zeref was likely just going to be a name, if even that seeing as Galuna takes place right b4 Phantom, so it was probably around then he had to try and start coming up with a plot as he worked

Sex sells yes, but unless you're willing to argue every supporter of the verse is just a bunch of real horny weirdos then I'd have to say it doesn't sell this much

Mashima's art is easily one of the best, yes.

To bring back an old topic: Shiki. He looked better with long hair.

Insert another rant about Mashima

FFS, what does he have against long-haired protagonists?

I always liked the short spikey haired desig
Natsu BOI!!!
Spikey haired, one-sleeved shirt is best boi, also wearing a scarf even tho he's on fire and would never need to get warm is the sh*t

He was defeated because the protagonists exploited his weaknesses, even then I did not like Shiki with long hair, it felt wrong somehow

Gajeel isn't a protagonist. He's one of the main characters, but he's no part of the main Natsu group.

I liked Natsu's hair. It's not bad, but his long haired design looked badass after the timeskip and was perfect to show that Natsu grew. Having it just like before kills that just for one old joke with Cancer.

I actually really did not like Natsu's long hair, I was so glad he cut it immediately, I'm not a huge fan of it,m plus he looked too much like Gajeel with it

CNBA3 said:
Main characters are still protagonists
Naruto is "the" protagonist
If anything, Gajeel's a deuteragonist. But he isn't, actually. Deuteragonist is the second more important character, and that spot belongs to Lucy.

protagonists can be more than one person that a story, deuteragonist would be reserved for those who are actually second to a single protagonist in a story that revolved around that person

Yeah, and at first FT revolved around Lucy being protagonist with Natsu being deuteragonist. The tides were turned tho, and they switched places.

Back