• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Esdeath vs Gray Fullbuster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two ice users battle it out. It's going to be cool battle (Sue me)

Post Second Timeskip Gray

Speed equalized

Ice Storm Commander-In-Chief is restricted

This should be obvious, but maybe which version of Gray should be specified, though we all know which version is used here.

Gray's immunity to cold renders Esdeath's Mahapadma useless.

Both have battled monsters of all sizes and varieties since a young age, so I don't see a big difference in experience. Although I still see Esdeath somewhat more adept at ice manipulation (Ice Cavalry) but that's probably just me.

Esdeath MAY have an advantage in range.

But more importantly this version of Gray can eat ice attacks, so my vote to Gray for now

^ well you never know if there'd be folks that simply skimp through Esdeath's profile, saw "6-B with ISCIC", and then say "Esdeath has a Country level attack so she stomps" without reading more carefully

Firstly, it's not even listed that Gray has resistance to cold, much less immunity. Second, Esdeaths AP is still higher. Her intelligence and experience factor are also much higher.

@ Drellix

You are forgetting the fact that Silver was largely unaffected by his own Ice Devil Slayer Magic channelled through Gray and aimed at him. And the fact that Ice Devil Slayers can eat ice to increase their stamina. What's stopping Gray from munching Esdeath's ice?

And about intelligence, you are under-estimating Gray there. His fight against Silver is the best example of how he can use his head in combat against a superior ice user.

And dude, you are saying an Ice mage that had trained Ice Magics as a kid... doesn't have even resistance to cold? Gray got his ice magic much earlier in his life than Esdeath getting the Devil's Extract.

That question is a bit... off. I was saying Gray used his head against Silver, who was thrashing him around with superior ICE power, which none of the S class has. Me saying he using his brain to deal with an ice mage in a debate against another ice user has little connection to the S class that have no ice magic.

Besides, you have to admit though, with Mashima's writing, titles and classes are not that relevant *cough 4 Gods of Ishgar losing to God Serena who was comparable to Spriggan that got their asses kicked by people not ranked S class cough*

The reason why I bring up the S class is because you have to be really intelligent to get through the tests. Gray hasn't shown extreme intelligent skills at all that rivals to a high ranked officer like esdeath.

mage ranking and military ranking are different though...

And as I said, with Mashima's writing, even the strongest, highest ranked of Ishgar would be way less competent than FT.

Furthermore, it doesn't take a genius to realize Gray's advantages against Esdeath, with cold resistance and Ice Devil Slayer Magic

Gray should quite obviously have resistance to cold. Add in his ability to eat ice and things aren't going to be so cool for Esdeath. She has a flight advantage but that'll amount to nothing since Gray will just eat all her attacks and get stronger making it that she has to resort to close combat. And Esdeath definitely isn't beating Gray with just her rapier. I vote for Gray for now.

Also, didn't Natsu get nominated for the S Rank thing? I don't think anyone's going to say he's much smarter than Gray.

Esdeath could definitely beat Gray without using any ice attacks. She is more skilled than him. But she doesn't know about his resistance to ice and how he can eat it to power himself up, so i vote Gray for now.

@Theglassman The S class exam that Gray participated in was interrupted by Grimoire Heart. Who knows who would have passed if the exam went the way it was supposed to go.

She's more skilled but she can't beat him with just her rapier. He can easily keep away from her and use ice clones as distractions. I mean, how would she touch him if he decides not to fight in close proximity? He can use his attacks from distance while Esdeath would have to repeatedly try and close the distance between them while dealing with Gray's attacks somehow. He can probably freeze her rapier and proceed to smash it or something.

I'm not downplaying Gray. But Gray is nowhere comparable to Esdeath in terms of intellect.

Esdeath is also an extremely skilled martial artist. With or without a weapon, she is not going to be any less of a threat.

Esdeath has started most of her fights by launching a long range ice attack. Either Gray tanks it or eats it. Gray will eat it and Esdeath will see what's up and immediately develop a counter strategy. Her ice soldiers will serve as a distraction, if only minimal, for Gray. Gray is smart but compared to the likes of Esdeath, he is but a babe.

And you also have to factor in that Esdeath has years more of experience in fighting then Gray has by a huge margin.

Gray has a range advantage but that won't really matter when Esdeath can create shields of ice or send her own projectiles to counter.

Esdeath also has the strength advantage. Not huge, but enough that it is a major threat for Gray and he can't take a lot of hits.

Having done background research in both AGK and FT verse my verdict goes to Esdeath for the following reasons:

Erza stated in the anime when two fighters with identical elements or identical abilities goes the one with more skill wins the fight. Gray fighting Esdeath is like fighting his own abilities. Heck Esdeath doesn't need her time stop to win this fight, her combat philosophy means that she can break Grey's will with a lot of brutal psychological attacks while Grey would have struggles against Esdeath due to the fact that Grey would come to realize that Esdeath knows him better than he knows himself.

Gray does have to deal with her "The weak die and the strong survive" philosophy, which, mixed with her murderous aura will be throwing Gray for a loop and getting him angry, which will cloud his judgement and fighting ability. Gray may have some advantages but overall, Esdeath is by far the better fighter.

Yeah, most probably.

What kind of strategy though? She would have to get in close to do damage and Gray can easily keep away from her. And he can use clones too. They might probably be more effective than Esdeath's calvary since they're identical to him. They can distract her while Gray uses Ice Arrow or something. And the ice that Gray will eat will continually boost him.

Gray can use ice shields too. I'm not sure what her projectiles can do. Wasn't Invel unaffected by Gray's ice before he used his Devil Slayer Magic? When he activated it, he used Invel's ice against him. Something similar could happen here.

I'm not sure what level of damage her ice can do, but he can't afford to take her physical hits too much. Though he could get a considerable boost in power after eating her ice. Also, is it possible that Gray can eat Esdeath's ice cavalry?

Gray could force an inconclusive match with Iced Shell if the situation calls for it.

@Himiko

I'm not quite sure what you mean. What kind of psychological attacks does Esdeath have? When did she ever use something like that? She doesn't even know anything about Gray. I don't even know how she's going to break Gray's will in the first place. She would have to be utterly dominating him to be able to have a chance to do so in the first place. Which I don't see happening. And he would start thinking of Natsu, END and the rest of Fairy Tail. I'm not even sure how Esdeath would be able to do that. Didn't both Ultear and Invel have more skill than Gray? But they both lost to him. And I don't think she took into account someone being able to eat the element and get boosts from it.

Burning Full Fingers said:
Yeah, most probably.
What kind of strategy though? She would have to get in close to do damage and Gray can easily keep away from her. And he can use clones too. They might probably be more effective than Esdeath's calvary since they're identical to him. They can distract her while Gray uses Ice Arrow or something. And the ice that Gray will eat will continually boost him.

Gray can use ice shields too. I'm not sure what her projectiles can do. Wasn't Invel unaffected by Gray's ice before he used his Devil Slayer Magic? When he activated it, he used Invel's ice against him. Something similar could happen here.

I'm not sure what level of damage her ice can do, but he can't afford to take her physical hits too much. Though he could get a considerable boost in power after eating her ice. Also, is it possible that Gray can eat Esdeath's ice cavalry?

Gray could force an inconclusive match with Iced Shell if the situation calls for it.
Ice Arrow can be canceled by ice shield, ice armor or ice attacks of her own.

Her projectiles have been able to harm Evoved Incursio and Ennoodzuno Akame. They are equal to her physical strength.

Yes he could but she can create up to five instantly and he would have to focus on eating each one individually.

That is true.

Here's the thing. Gray is a very straight forward fighter and will pull out all his stops to try and beat Esdeath. He won't hide anything, especially when he feels her aura. Once he eats her ice, she can automatically counter with sending her ice soldiers to attack, which will distract him. She would spread them out, so Gray wouldn't be able to eat them in one go and would have to go for each one seperately. Which will leave his other sides vulnerable. Esdeath will take every opportunity to deal damage. Even one hit from Esdeath will be a devasting blow for Gray.

@Burning Ultear lost because they got dumped into the ocean and she saw Ur's memories, distracting her. Invel lost because Gray got a BS, PIS rage boost that shouldn't have been enough at all, considering how badly Invel was kicking his ass before.

If Gray just keeps his distance and doesn't get close at all, they would be locked in a stalemate, because Esdeath would just block anything he threw at her from a distance. This is the weak point of long range attacks, they give a lot of time for the opponent to react as long as they're not insanely faster than the target. Also Esdeath can create ice spikes from under her opponent, so keeping his distance wouldn't really work. The ice spike itself wouldn't hurt much, but it would leave him open to other attacks.

Ice Soldiers would be a dumb move from Esdeath. Gray could eat those too, and i doubt she would be stupid enough to use them after seeing him eat her ice once. Even if she spreads them out, he doesn't need to eat the whole thing to gain a power boost/refill, he could just destroy what's left of them once he's had enough. Or do it the other way around, destroy them and eat the fragments.

I was about to switch my vote to Esdeath, but Iced Shell. I guess i'll wait a bit before voting again.

Yeah, I know she can block it but that's what distractions are for. To create an opening for him. Which is why I mentioned ice clones.

Actually, I had a misconception when asking about Esdeath's projectiles.

Wasn't it Base Gray that Invel was kicking around? But he fought mostly on par with Ultear when she started using ice, right? Because I can't remember that fight well. He also defeated Rufus who should have been more skilled than him (not sure). Isn't range advantage used as a legit factor in versus threads? It might work for him since he can create distractions with his clones. Would Gray be able to use Ice Prison to trap Esdeath? He could be able to use several attacks on her while she's trapped. And he can also use Ice Hammer to hit her from above.

Burning Full Fingers said:
Yeah, I know she can block it but that's what distractions are for. To create an opening for him. Which is why I mentioned ice clones.
Actually, I had a misconception when asking about Esdeath's projectiles.

Wasn't it Base Gray that Invel was kicking around? But he fought mostly on par with Ultear when she started using ice, right? Because I can't remember that fight well. He also defeated Rufus who should have been more skilled than him (not sure). Isn't range advantage used as a legit factor in versus threads? It might work for him since he can create distractions with his clones. Would Gray be able to use Ice Prison to trap Esdeath? He could be able to use several attacks on her while she's trapped. And he can also use Ice Hammer to hit her from above.
Esdeath has never lost focus with a single person she has fought. Actually she's been blind and fighting multiple teigu users just fine. Her Teigu is meant for anti-army. The more the marrier.

He could create Ice Prison but she has the AP to slice through it one hit. As for the hammer, she'll do the same she did to Murasame. The bigger and stronger the move, the easier it is to predict its movement. Gray has to keep his distance. If even one hit lands on him, he will be helpless for the next one.

It can't be that bad. Aren't they both City level? Though Gray's durability is Small City level+ (why is this? Didn't he take hits from Invel?), Esdeath's ice would give him the boost he needs to have City level durability.

Are we using Mountain level Esdeath? Because if so, she would one-shot. When everyone was saying one hit from Esdeath would severely injure Gray, I thought it was because of her City level AP to his Small City level+ durability.

Yeah.

If a version isn't specified, the strongest one is used, so yes. Mountain level Esdeath.

Esdeath due to more experience in deadly combat and h2H/CQC skill; All Gray has going for him is better ice powers.

Natsu can partially negate Mountain level attacks in base, i don't see why Gray wouldn't be able to do the same.

Regardless, if Esdeath is 7-A, she one-shots.

So wait a minute... What even is the point of this battle if we use the Mountain level Esdeath that can physically one-shot the At least City level Gray? I can see the point if the more powerful character is slower, but with speed equalized you expect an At least City level character to stand a chance against a Mountain level character? With no good hax but only immunity to the not-really-useful-timestop-since-she-is that-freaking-powerful-already and ice-muching-that-is-not-useful-against-a-more-powerful-opponent? Esdeath stomps in that case. Mismatch, really.

If we use 7-B Esdeath, I'm leaning slightly towards Gray for now for his ice-eating powers and resistace to cold. This can still go to Easdeath though. She's a much better fighter in close quarters than him and considerably more vicious. Will update my opinion later.

We use Mountain level Esdeath to make up for the fact that Gray can eat all of Esdeath's ice attacks.

Drellix said:
We use Mountain level Esdeath to make up for the fact that Gray can eat all of Esdeath's ice attacks.
In that case Gray gets turned to paste from a couple of punches.

@ Drellix

Like I said, Ice Devil Slayer Magic matters little if Esdeath can physically one-shot Gray without using a tiny bit of ice power

Byakushiki Setsura said:
@ Drellix
Like I said, Ice Devil Slayer Magic matters little if Esdeath can physically one-shot Gray without using a tiny bit of ice power
Esdeath doesn't know he can and he has the advantage of ranged attacks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back