• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

English vs. Original Translations in Digimon

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I've brought this up before, but we need to come to a decision on this. Right now we're flip-flopping between English and Japanese names and terms and it's going to get very confusing for our users if they see "Ultimate-class" and "Ultimate-level" Digimon being compared.

Personally, I think we should stick to the localized English names unless they sound extremely stupid (i.e. Lucemon Falldown/Chaos Mode being called "Wild Mode" in the English localization of Digimon Xros Wars).

What do you guys think?

I feel like English names should be used unless they're absurd/bowdlerized (I.E. Daemon to Creepymon).

Wouldn't using Japanese names at times and English names at other times, be just as confusing? I think that just the Japanese names should be used.

The Everlasting said:
I feel like English names should be used unless they're absurd/bowdlerized (I.E. Daemon to Creepymon).
This.

I do the same for Castlevania, too. Shit like "Bathory" becoming "Bartley".

I guess we should use more iconic terminology i.e the English terms. However, some names should not be used and instead some original names must be used. Like Ever said, we should not use Creepymon for Daemon, Kerpymon for Cherubimon or Laylamon for Lilithmon.

Some names I feel like should change would be instead of LorKnightmon we should use Crusadermon. Instead of Sleipmon, we should use Kentaurosmon.

Some names from the original Japanese wording should be used however. Many people know Omnimon, however many people also know that his name is also Omegamon.

This just like with Pokemon.

Jessie and James are called Musashi and Kojiro, yet wikis like the Pokemon wiki use their English name.

I perfer the original names but I don't mind using english names as long as their are exceptions like daemon and Satan mode.

This is so simple. Just use the English names. 9/10 unless you're a native Japanese speaker like my sisters, you wouldn't care if English names are used. That is of course, like Ever and Matt said, unless the English name is butchered for whatever reason (I'm looking at YOU Viz Media >.>)

I agree with the general idea of using English names unless they're dumb (Laylamon vs Lilithmon, Citramon vs BomberNanimon, Kerpymon vs Cherubimon, Magna Blast vs Extreme Jihad, etc). I especially like doing this method because:

• More people who browse the wiki would likely be more experienced with the English terminology. Not to mention the English terminology is better and more straight forward in some areas (Jogress Evolution vs DNA Digivolution)
  • The English names in a few cases sound better then the older ones. Beelzemon flows better than Beelzebumon and Gallantmon sounds more prestigious than Dukemon.
However, we should leave redirects for the original Japanese names for convenience sake. I also think adding a terminology section to the verse page separating the English terms from Japanese terms would be a good idea.

VenomElite said:
This is so simple. Just use the English names. 9/10 unless you're a native Japanese speaker like my sisters, you wouldn't care if English names are used. That is of course, like Ever and Matt said, unless the English name is butchered for whatever reason (I'm looking at YOU Viz Media >.>)
P R I N C E S S S I E N N A

@Venom

The issue with the naming comes in two areas:

• Due to the rather controversial nature of the Digimon Dub, most of the """hardcore fans""" strictly use Japanese terminology and denounce anything dub related.
  • The Japanese names were used in most regional dubs of the show. As such, Non-American fans are more familiar with the Japanese names. The problem then comes in the fact that Digimon is extremely popular in Latin America and parts of Europe. So our regular, Latin-American Digimon fans would also be more used to the original names.

@Dark

A lot of anime aired in Brazil and Latin-America with little to no censorship and a lot more faithful dubs back in the day. Hell, Brazil got Yu Yu Hakusho almost a decade before the US did, and also aired Dragon Ball in order straight from the japanese version and with little cuts.

Why not both in the case of the more popular ones?

Gallantmon(Dukemon). Myotismon(Vandemon). And so on. Of course the () should be skipped if the name were too long.

Well, that seems be some kind of pickle. I say whatever is more "beneficial", if that makes sense. Then again...it most likely doesn't.

After reading all of this, I was thinking I could rename all of the profiles to the reasonable English names and set up redirects to send those who type in the original Japanese name to the respective pages.

What do you guys think?

I guess you should use the names that you believe are the better ones. But take something into account: use the name that make sense.

Omnimon makes no sense in the context of the digimon. He is not omnipotent (he has been beaten in many official media). While Omegamon makes more sense, because he is the counterpart of Alphamon in the Royal Knights, so Alpha and Omega.

Crusadermon makes no sense, because he is not a crusader. Lord Knightmon makes sense, because he is the Monarch of the Knightmon species.

Another example:

In the context of digimon, DNA Evolution make no sense at all. Digimon don't even have DNA, to begin with. Jogress makes more sense, because the fusion (or joining) allow the digimon involved to progress to the next evolution level.

The only argument to use DNA over jogress is that people in this part of the world is more familiarized with the former.

I disagree with you on somethings. With most Digimon games and anime over here in the west we use Crusadermon. Heck, even Cyber Sleuth used it(Though they also used Kerpymon as well). Names like Omegamon should stay, but Crusadermon imo is a better name considering Crusadermon as a whole. Yeah, it is the Lord of all Knightmon, however personality and portrayal-wise she acts like the Crusaders you learn about in history so the name fits and rolls off the tongue better than LordKnightmon.

Crusaders were the soldiers who fought in the Crusades, a series of religious wars. LordKnightmon don't fight for religion, he (or she, I guess is she in the american version) fights for Justice (is in his/her official profile). If you say, call him (her) Justicarmon, it would make more sense.

However, Crusadermon can still be used by familiarity reasons. But just for that: familiarity. Not sense. Because, in the context of the digimon Crusader makes no sense.

I'm not against using the english names, because people in this part of the net is more familiarized with those (yet, I do not use them, even if I was introduced to digimon with the dub version). But there are names that make more sense in their original form.

Why in the world does a name "not making sense" mean we shouldn't use it?

Also, Zero, a crusader does not by default refer to a religious crusader from the Crusades, it also refers to anyone who campaigns vigorously for some kind of change.

Yet while the religious part is not the same. Crusadermon treats its justice as absolute and anyone who doesn't follow it are seen pretty much as lower beings, trash, filth etc. Heck, her personality matches that of those Crusaders with her cruel and honestly sadistic personality. And even then she still serves Yggdrasil to a T. Honestly imo both make sense. LordKnightmon for her role in the Knightmon line. Crusadermon for familiarity and personality. I'll just agree to disagree here as I prefer Crusadermon and despise LordKnightmon as a name. Just my opinion on the matter.

The Everlasting said:
Why in the world does a name "not making sense" mean we shouldn't use it?
Because in some instances, such as Omegamon, a name implies the role of a digimon in the whole digimon mythology, and that also implies the power of the digimon (that is the practical reason for using names in this wiki). Omegamon represents the end, and is the counterpart of Alphamon, who represents the beginning. This means Omegamon has a big role in the digital world, and has the power to accomplish that.

While Omnimon... well, don't mean nothing at all in the digimon mythology.

@Ever I agree completely.

@Zero Omegamon is a different story. I prefer that to Omnimon. However, in all honestly Omnimon can also mean something importing. Yes, he's not omnipotent. But, the name still implies that Omegamon is still an extremely powerful Digimon. It just doesn't have the naming pun that it shares with Alphamon. But the name doesn't change the character.

Crusadermon could be name Pinkmon for all we know. Still doesn't change the fact that Crusadermon is still a cruel and sadistic character. What we simply have to do is determine what is the best name for a Digimon based on preferences and mostly English dub names with some exceptions.

The importance of a name isn't all that important when actually dealing with the character. Omegamon could be named UpDownmon and his character doesn't change.

In fact, yeah, it changes a lot of the digimon original background. There is no "UpDown" Force in the mythos, no role for UpDowing in the Royal Knights. It may work in the american version, but not in the original one.

The american dub changed names, yeah, but also changed a lot of context of the original version (and even digimon's japanese authors have voiced their opinions about that).

As I said, if the reason is familiarization, I have no qualms in using the english names. I, for other part, prefer the original ones.

Omegamon character changes from individual. Taichi and Yamato's Omegamon has a different character from Hideto's Omegamon, and also from X-evo Omegamon.

Background and context changes with the change of name.

Background and context are more important in a series that have different individuals from the same concept.

Again: character and personality change from one individual from another. Taichi's Omegamon has a different personality form that of Hideto's, or Nokia's, or the one from X-evo.

So character and personality depends on individual basis. So, from "vs. viewpoint", character and personality aren't important, because what is important is power (that also varies from individuals: Taichi's Omegamon isn't as strong as Xros Wars manga Omegamon, for instance).

Regardless of the individual character and personality, however, background unifies all those different Omegamon into a whole concept: Omegamon, regardless of individual, character and personality, is the concept of the end.

So, context is more important that character and personality, because isn't dependent on individuality.

But don't mind me. I just gave my opinion. And is only that: an opinion.

You're bringing in there being multiple Omegamon, but that's not at all relevant when talking about his name.

Offtopic: We all know that even if you change the names, the only digimon who will be used in threads are Zeed, Alpha, and some random digimon.

@PaChi

That's not our fault, that's the fault of the people making the threads.

There are numerous Digimon who would be perfectly serviceable in battles, most notable the Digimon Frontier kids, with Takuya and Kouji, who possess notable hax.

In addition, even if no one uses the profiles for versus threads, it's no excuse not to improve them in clarity and detail whenever possible.

Just because you never use a fire escape doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of it and make sure it works, since you never quite know.

@Repp Sorry if I annoyed you, you took it too seriously. Im all for improving the profiles and clarify details (I mean it). It was an offopic comment.

Back