• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Downgrading Ayanokouji's Intelligence

He mastered every field of martial arts and defeated instructors with more experience than he has, all at the age of 9 on top of his insane adaptability, learning, and analytical prediction
This is a pretty big exageration. There was never a statement of him mastering every field of martial arts, and the WR only references like, 4 that he was trained in, with him maybe having some knowledge in a few more. That's very far from "every"

Simply mastering a few martial arts isn't anything more impressive than gifted, especially seeing the requirements to get stuff higher than that

This is a pretty big exageration. There was never a statement of him mastering every field of martial arts, and the WR only references like, 4 that he was trained in, with him maybe having some knowledge in a few more. That's very far from "every"
“Boxing, Karate, Jeet Kune Do—it’s the same for everything. I'll win the first one or two fights, but once you turn the tables on me, I can't do anything about it. You're really great."

Personally for me, he fits the definition for extraordinary genius for knowledge, but not for intelligence. So I’d personally propose “Genius” or “At least Genius, possibly Extraordinary Genius.”
After looking at more people who are considered an extraordinary geniuses (Senku from dr. Stone), I’d personally heavily lean towards a straight Genius rating now. Ayanokouji simply doesn’t compare to any Extraordinary Genius from any series I know of.

“Boxing, Karate, Jeet Kune Do—it’s the same for everything. I'll win the first one or two fights, but once you turn the tables on me, I can't do anything about it. You're really great."
That is NOT at all proof that they know litteraly every martial art lmao. He's just saying that no matter what martial art he fights Ayano in, Ayano outskills him, not that they learn litteraly every martial art. By everything he just refers to the martial arts that they were trained in, not every single martial art. That is a REACH

They mainly learn Taijutsu based martial arts such as Judo, Karate, and Aikido, and they also threw in some Boxing & Jeet Kune Do for fun ig. And according to Ayano's page, he also picked up BJJ sometime along the way. That's 6 martial arts if you're being generous. There's over 180 martial arts. Ayano knows about 3% of all martial arts ever made

@Worthless Shiro isn't refering to literally every martial art. He's just refering for the martial arts they learned in WR, which are only confirmed to be Boxing, Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Karate and maybe Aikido and Wing Chun. I think he should qualify to be a Genius combatant even if he did not master every martial art though (which would be more like E.G BIQ if you ask me).

Edit: Damn. Is this what people call getting Ninja'd?

I don't want to make this longer than it has to be, but I don't think Ayanokoji even knows BJJ

I watched the clip myself and it looks WAY more like a Yoko-Ukemi throw, which is a JUDO throw, which Ayanokoji clearly already knows. You could maybe argue it's a Uchi-Mata throw, which is a BJJ throw, but if it is, it was really poorly executed, so even if that was a BJJ move, Ayano didn't do it all that well

So his only proof of having knowledge in BJJ is that, he recognised a BJJ move when it was used. You don't have to actually be a practicioner of a martial art in order to recognise when its moves are used. Most people that aren't boxers can recognise when someone uses a boxer stance. You don't have to be a karate expert to be able to say "hey that was a karate move!"

So that's further proof of Ayano not having genius combat intelligence, as he doesn't even know BJJ and if he does he isn't great at it

That is NOT at all proof that they know litteraly every martial art lmao. He's just saying that no matter what martial art he fights Ayano in, Ayano outskills him, not that they learn litteraly every martial art. By everything he just refers to the martial arts that they were trained in, not every single martial art. That is a REACH. They mainly learn Taijutsu based martial arts such as Judo, Karate, and Aikido, and they also threw in some Boxing & Jeet Kune Do for fun ig. And according to Ayano's page, he also picked up BJJ sometime along the way. That's 6 martial arts if you're being generous. There's over 180 martial arts. Ayano knows about 3% of all martial arts ever made
I wasn’t even trying to suggest that the statement implies "everything" in the way you're thinking, lol. While I admit that the word "everything" is strong, I was merely trying to say that he learned and mastered various martial arts beyond those mentioned. To suggest otherwise is almost laughable.

I wasn’t even trying to suggest that the statement implies "everything" in the way you're thinking, lol
That is not at all what you were saying earlier. Exact quote here:
He mastered every field of martial arts and defeated instructors with more experience than he has
While I admit that the word "everything" is strong, I was merely trying to say that he learned and mastered various martial arts beyond those mentioned. To suggest otherwise is almost laughable.
Yeah he probably did, but unless you can name specific martial arts, all we know is "he might've learned a few others", which isn't great support for Genius Battle IQ. We don't know what others he learned, how good he got at each of them, we don't even see most of them in his fights. We also don't know how many other martial arts he knows. Does he know 1 more that wasn't listed? 10 more? 100 more? It's to vague for us to really get anything from it unless you can name specific ones and how good he is at them

That is not at all what you were saying earlier. Exact quote here:
If "various" fields of martial had come to mind while I was writing that, I would have used it instead. I didn't even expect people to really pay attention to it honestly
Yeah he probably did, but unless you can name specific martial arts, all we know is "he might've learned a few others", which isn't great support for Genius Battle IQ. We don't know what others he learned, how good he got at each of them, we don't even see most of them in his fights. We also don't know how many other martial arts he knows. Does he know 1 more that wasn't listed? 10 more? 100 more? It's to vague for us to really get anything from it unless you can name specific ones and how good he is at them.
By the time I turned nine years old, I had defeated all the instructors who had taught me everything I knew about martial arts.
There are no statements to confirm anything yes, but nonetheless it’s clear that he learned more than what was mentioned. Even stuff like handling guns, batons, knives, and various other weapons that can be used in certain scenarios for self-defense.

If he doesn't even know every martial arts in his verse, I don't think he should even get Genius combate, just look at Daredevil and Solid Snake, both genius in combat that either know every martial arts in the world or at least incorporate multiple arts into their fighting style. And I've yet to see something similar that Koji can do.

Am I missing something here? How are we basing off the Genius criteria for Combat IQ? I mean, looking at the description of Genius on the wiki;

This level of intellect is the level of real-world geniuses, polymaths, and genuinely extremely prominent intellectuals, and, in the absence of better feats, should be the default intelligence category for fictional characters with exceptional or superhuman intelligence.
The page compares the Genius criteria to real world people, people who can achieve a certain thing realistically. I'd assume the same would apply to Combat IQ, just in Combat stuff instead of normal intelligence stuff. Why are we bringing up lolskill characters, and why are we comparing Koji to them instead of Real World people?

Back