• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doki Doki Literature Club! downgrade

Never heard of it so it probably will keep the stats for years to come if enough people play along them being accurate.

I don't buy that blog regarding multiple-saves aren't timelines, if it's just a causality manipulation then the savegame would getting overwrited, rather than creating a new one, the older saves do not affected the newer ones when you interrupt them is a proof that they are causally disconnected.
I agree for Zulk say. Every save file are actually connect each other between another Save files tho. It's not the meaning save files are timelines becuase of some connection between each other save files?

Last edited:
100% agree with the removal. Save files are just points in time to return to in your game, no relation to timelines whatsoever (unless explicitly indicated).

100% agree with the removal. Save files are just points in time to return to in your game, no relation to timelines whatsoever (unless explicitly indicated).
This is correct if they are tied with each other within the same flow of time except, they are not. They are causally disconnected since a change from the older saves don't affect the newer saves (2). The relation between cause-effect is presented even in quantum multiverse where the new universes are created via probability wavefunctions.

Last edited:
The reasons are a little different
Still based on the same concept of "saves not being timelines but random points of time", while for wikitionary it is A block of saved data, representing the player's progress in a game, that can be restored at a later time for continued play.

Save files are blatantly copies of the original timeline, seeing Mario games Save Files menu is literally a proof alone.

Also, the analogy for video editor in the blog regarding of saves is wrong, you're given two options when you're gonna save the changes, overwrite it as "save", or create the new one as "save as", the former will changed the main video aka rewriting it, the latter will create a new one with the main video remain unharm, so there are two videos, two timelines, two lengths, and therefore, two universes.

Savegames works like the latter.

Blog acts like the Save Files are bound to the original timeline, aka if something happens to it, the saves are compromised too. This is just wrong since you can make in videogames more save files and do whatever the **** you want to each of them without the others being affected, aka like timelines, since the actions you do in one don't affect the other despite all of them follow the same envrioment, characters and so on.

This is correct if they are tied with each other within the same flow of time except, they are not. They are causally disconnected since a change from the older saves don't affect the newer saves (2). The relation between cause-effect is presented even in quantum multiverse where the new universes are created via probability wavefunctions.
Why're you using the quantum multiverse as a justification to a game where it doesn't apply? It's exactly like me saying because sans has a quantum physics book, the reality is fundamentally built on the quantum theory.
While yes, you're not wrong, this type of multiverse needs to be indicated in the said material. I will fully concede and switch my position to disagreeing if I can be given proof.

Why're you using the quantum multiverse as a justification to a game where it doesn't apply? It's exactly like me saying because sans has a quantum physics book, the reality is fundamentally built on the quantum theory.
While yes, you're not wrong, this type of multiverse needs to be indicated in the said material. I will fully concede and switch my position to disagreeing if I can be given proof.
I didn't use quantum multiverse as a justification, it's an analogy for cause-effect thingy even though in fact it isn't wrong at all as a justification. I don't need to prove anything as in order to downgrade it, you have to prove that they are tied to each other, savegames are duplications from the main event, affecting ones won't affected the others unless you overwrite the main save, if this isn't clear then what did I miss?

Can somebody summarise the arguments here please?

Well, more elaboration from both Eficiente and the opposing side would be appreciated.

I don't buy that blog regarding multiple-saves aren't timelines, if it's just a causality manipulation then a savegame would getting overwrited instead creating a new one, the older saves do not affected the newer ones when you interrupt them proves that they are causally disconnected.
Those are nonsensical reasons. You're thinking the power as just using it and that's it, but that's not what Saves are, a Save is to be use that in 1 specific way, hence another needs to be used to use the power in another specific way w/o overwriting the first. The last thing you say proves nothing.
Who talks like this saying "causally disconnected" and "in quantum multiverse"? If it's vague and can be interpreted in many ways then you may be dooming others to maybe reply to what you meant or to grab all takes and reply to all of them, which I'm not going to do. You can say this with perfectly understandable words and I can reply to that.
Still based on the same concept of "saves not being timelines but random points of time"
This is false, you're not understanding what you're talking about and yet you're talking anyway. If it was just random points in time then making something different along the way makes the argument fall. But good thing that was just a straw man and not the real thing.
while for wikitionary it is A block of saved data, representing the player's progress in a game, that can be restored at a later time for continued play.

Save files are blatantly copies of the original timeline, seeing Mario games Save Files menu is literally a proof alone.
Once again, you're not understanding what you're talking about. Restore doesn't mean it sends you to what you saved while leaving what you have but restoring what you saved on what you have, in the same timeline and with no multiverse.
Also, the analogy for video editor in the blog regarding of saves is wrong, you're given two options when you're gonna save the changes, overwrite it as "save", or create the new one as "save as", the former will changed the main video aka rewriting it, the latter will create a new one with the main video remain unharm, so there are two videos, two timelines, two lengths, and therefore, two universes.

Savegames works like the latter.
This is incorrect. Save doesn't change the video, only the file of it you may be making. Save as doesn't create a new video, only another file of what you were making to it. The files you get out of save and save as do not have the video in them. You can't say that the files are the same as the videos because they're not, they're legit smaller because they have less stuff to it, they're just "the way in which the video was being changed" w/o being the video itself, otherwise you wouldn't need the video anymore and you could just delete it, which if you do those other files you made become useless.
Blog acts like the Save Files are bound to the original timeline, aka if something happens to it, the saves are compromised too. This is just wrong since you can make in videogames more save files and do whatever the **** you want to each of them without the others being affected, aka like timelines, since the actions you do in one don't affect the other despite all of them follow the same envrioment, characters and so on.
This is also incorrect. If you delete the game itself then that screws over the saves. If I'm messing up a video (which I compared to doing stuff in a game) and feel like loading to many saves then those may be as many as I made and as different to each other as they may be, w/o doing anything to each other nor being timelines. Next to that your reason for them being timelines is just "they have to be".

@Ant This became way too out of hand and unprofessional for my like, can you tag some staff that may give some quality control?

Last edited:
To put simple it's, make another "save files" it's will make another "timeline". Imagine you back from previous saves files and do something different from the previous one and it will create a new timeline. It is the same as when you go back to the past you did something different then a new timeline will be created.

And I don't understand at all why causality manipulation can go into and work into the save files.

If you don't understand at all why causality manipulation can go into and work into the save files then please consider to not comment here. The why of how our stats work is clear, it's veracity is what's being put into question.

Well, it won't need to if people doesn't do things like saying the same others already said again and saying things that don't do anything and may be pure derailment like "Dumb downgrade like the Undertale one ngl".

If the standards for having a somewhat decent and smart discussion is to make it Staff Only then yes.

Im not sure if even the in universe save files thing was completely agreed apon on the ut thread or not. But for me personally i think its probably better to not treat save files as alternate timelines, unless its explicitely treat that way.
hard agreed.

If you don't understand at all why causality manipulation can go into and work into the save files then please consider to not comment here. The why of how our stats work is clear, it's veracity is what's being put into question.
ok i will not comment on your orders

Haven't read the thread yet, only the blog, but unless something gets brought that clearly shows save files are different time lines and shit, I agree with the downgrade. Been forever since I played the game, so my memory is a bit iffy here. But I don't recall any statement or smth suggesting that different save files are different timelines.

In agreement with Eficient right now. The "universe" in DDLC is acknowledged in universe as being only a few lines of code that make up the back drops for locations, it's entirely unreasonable to act like Monika is rewriting universes when the game itself says otherwise.

Back