• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does Resistance to Cold gives you Resistance to Ice Manipulation?

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
Title. The example is, a character has survived against extreme cold temperatures, like the outer space. Does this give resistance to be like, completely frozen?

Not inherently, since most of the time "cold resistance" doesn't mean "resistance to having your temperature changed" but rather just signifies that the character doesn't mind temperatures around them at lower than standard room temperatures.

It's a matter of the extent of the extreme cold. Space is colder than a lot of ice out there, and really weird stuff starts happening to your body in such an environment, but if you're able to deal with the heat leaving your body from being out there you'd probably be fine against normal freezing.

And what about surviving in space during like, seconds or minutes? Does this still grant you Resistance to Cold?

Not necessarily surviving, since people can survive very brief exposure and other things would kill you before cold does anyways. More like being totally unaffected, most likely.

Hmm, I am asking that because some people create a thread to give Saitama some resistances, because ge survived in space. But the opposition argued that he survived there for seconds, and it shouldn't give him resistances

Actually outer space doesn't make for a good cold resistance feat, as space conducts heat very badly.

To answer the question generally: Resistance to cold gives you resistance to the coldness aspect of ice manipulation and nothing else. It won't protect you from someone shooting an icicle at you.

well that's just AP anyways

So, how should we rate characters who could resist the space cold/heat? @DontTalk

Difficult to answer. It would be heat it gets from the sun (if one is present) vs heat it loses due to radiation. And then there is some factor of time.

I would guess it is somewhere between bathing in icecubes and bathing in boiling water. Not really sure where, though.

"I would guess it is somewhere between bathing in icecubes and bathing in boiling water. Not really sure where, though."

lol i love the super large margin

Wasn't saitama just out there long enough to jump back to earth? I don't think that would be really long enough for him to start suffering those effects.

So, we shouldn't give characters Resistance to Cold and Cosmic Radiations when they didn't stayed there long enough, I guess.

A CRT should be made then

He got sent there, looked all around, played with a rock to see the low gravity, then jumped right back to Earth. It gave Boros enough time to pant since his transformation burned a lot of energy and exposite about the fact that it burns a lot of energy, hence shortening his life.

2.7k is really low. Average room temperature is like 295k iirc

Antoniofer said:
Looking at google, outer space enviromental temperature is around 2.7 K.
Thing is, while it is very cold heat can hardly leave your body via conduction and convection in space due to the near complete vacuum. It can only really radiate away heat energy and the amount of energy radiated is independent from the temperature of the surroundings. So it cools down very slowly, while you get heat produced by your body and what radiates from the sun/planets. Hard to say whether you will cool down at all.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2013/space-human-body/ <- refer to the first part of this article for what I mean in nicer words.

"Does this give resistance to be like, completely frozen?"

Yes, it should unless it's transmutation

DT is right, even assuming you're completely out of the sun, it would take hours for your body to reach 0 Celsius in space. And that's also assuming your body isn't producing any additional heat (which probably means you're dead).

Bump. Can a thread be created for characters that have Resistance to cold because they spent sometime in space?

Depends how much time and the circumstances.

Which makes me think, I wonder if there could be some sort of equation to find out how long you'd need to stay in there to really freeze...

Likely complicated.

You can probably approximate the energy loss via black body radiation. The emissivity of a human skin is about 0.98 it seems.

Then you need to calculate against that how much energy the human body gets from the sun. One can probably figure out how much radiation of the sun reaches a certain location. Via studies on the reflectance spectrum of human skin one can maybe figure out how much of that the body absorbs.

Last is the difficult task of figuring out how much heat energy the human body produces. No idea where to find a value for that.

>So it cools down very slowly, while you get heat produced by your body and what radiates from the sun/planets. Hard to say whether you will cool down at all.

Are you telling me that Kars reason of defeat was a lie?.

Back