• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does mindhax resistance also give you fearhax resistance?

Coolboy6

He/Him
I mean, since fear manip technically manipulates your mind into feeling fear. Also kinda asking if it gives you empath hax resistance since technically empath hax also kinda manipulates your mind into feeling a certain emotion.

I'm interested in this as well, if a character can resist stuff that messes with their mind then other stuff like fear hax would be the same right?

Ahem, it seems to influence your mind so it requires some sort of mindhax resistance.
Emotions are a product of certain chemicals being released in our brains. Sometimes forcing those chemicals to come out is how Emphatic Manip happens

Emotions are a product of certain chemicals being released in our brains. Sometimes forcing those chemicals to come out is how Emphatic Manip happens
Exactly. Affecting/manipulating your mind into feeling a certain feeling. Mindhax.

Exactly. Affecting/manipulating your mind into feeling a certain feeling. Mindhax.
Let me give you an example.

Yujiro's Fear Manip bypasses Deku's Fear Resistance because it relies on Supernatural Willpower while the Ogre's fear is cellular based, affecting the cells itself. That's how Biological Based emphatic Manip bypasses conventional resistance since the resistance needs to show feats of working against a biological source

Mind Manipulation involves controlling how you act, fear manipulation involves controlling how you feel. This two are kind of separate things on it's that might or might not overlap, but I don’t think that controlling someone necessarily means the same as making them feel something.

Empathic Manipulation, on the other hand, is more likely to grant some sort of resistance.

Let me give you an example.

Yujiro's Fear Manip bypasses Deku's Fear Resistance because it relies on Supernatural Willpower while the Ogre's fear is cellular based, affecting the cells itself. That's how Biological Based emphatic Manip bypasses conventional resistance since the resistance needs to show feats of working against a biological source
Then how come baki resisted yujiro's fear manipulation through will power?

So long as the character with said willpower has feats of resisting cellular-based fear manipulation, that is.
That's called fear hax resistance through biological manipulation resistance. But baki doesn't have that, he just ignored it via willpower.

That's called fear hax resistance through biological manipulation resistance. But baki doesn't have that, he just ignored it via willpower.
I meant having feats of resisting it through willpower specifically, not through just having a base resistance.

I meant having feats of resisting it through willpower specifically, not through just having a base resistance.
No that's not needed, baki was still under the effect of the fear hax, but he was still able to fight by ignoring it through willpower. So he's still resisting it just not under a conventional sense. That means anyone with powerful will power can.

No that's not needed, baki was still under the effect of the fear hax, but he was still able to fight by ignoring it through willpower. So he's still resisting it just not under a conventional sense. That means anyone with powerful will power can.
It actually means that Baki has a Will that allows him to resist that type of Fear Manipulation

Strong Willpower, at least when it comes down to use in media, varies when it comes down to what it can accomplish. Not every strong willpower is supposed to give their users the same feats other characters from entirely different series do.

It actually means that Baki has a Will that allows him to resist that type of Fear Manipulation

Strong Willpower, at least when it comes down to use in media, varies when it comes down to what it can accomplish. Not every strong willpower is supposed to give their users the same feats other characters from entirely different series do.
Bruh no. Unless will power in another verse gives you super powers unlike normal will power then it's the same. Baki is still under the effect of yujiro's fear aura but his willpower allows him to ignore that fear and fight regardless. Baki doesn't have a super power that allows him to stop his cells from being manipulated, it's more of a weakness of yujiro's ability that sufficient will power can ignore it.

Bruh no. Unless will power in another verse gives you super powers unlike normal will power then it's the same
You're currently talking about a verse where being ultra buff leads to supernatural abilities. I'm pretty sure willpower = biological Manip resistance isn't too much of a stretch

You're currently talking about a verse where being ultra buff leads to supernatural abilities. I'm pretty sure willpower = biological Manip resistance isn't too much of a stretch
Nope, you gotta prove that will power gives you these super powers, being ultra buff is irrelevant. What we see is baki's extraordinary willpower can make him ignore the fear aura of yujiro and fight regardless. Baki doesn't biological super powers to control his cells.

Unless will power in another verse gives you super powers unlike normal will power then it's the same
Supernatural Willpower is a superpower. And as with every power, it doesn’t works the same as it's counterparts in different verses.

A strong will in real life wouldn't stop you from being affected by any sort of power like that or pretty much most of the powers out there that get commonly overpowered by Nakama Pawar in fiction. Equating instances of similar resistances towards different methods of affecting someone because they share a similar basis comes out as iffy when there's no reason to assume that neither would be possible in real life.

And like, even with that in mind: how does one quantifies willpower? Willpower, at least in general, is a qualitative trait, not a quantitative one. And depends entirely on a subjective criteria.

Supernatural Willpower is a superpower. And as with every power, it doesn’t works the same as it's counterparts in different verses.

A strong will in real life wouldn't stop you from being affected by any sort of power like that or pretty much most of the powers out there that get commonly overpowered by Nakama Pawar in fiction. Equating instances of similar resistances towards different methods of affecting someone because they share a similar basis comes out as iffy when there's no reason to assume that neither would be possible in real life.
Supernatural will power is an extra powerful version of a normal thing that is will power. Unless a verse specifically gives special abilities that comes from supernatural will power, then it's the practically the same.
In the case of baki, his will power allows him to ignore his fear caused by yujiro, he isn't outright negating yujiro's fear hax like a conventional resistance which would require biological manipulation resistance.
I want you to note that baki has neither supernatural willpower nor resistance to fear manipulation on his profile.

And like, even with that in mind: how does one quantifies willpower? Willpower, at least in general, is a qualitative trait, not a quantitative one. And depends entirely on a subjective criteria.
Anything that surpasses a conventional strong willpower of a human would qualify. You can't quantify it so the only way is if a willpower is shown or stated to be stronger than someone else's.

Supernatural will power is an extra powerful version of a normal thing that is will power. Unless a verse specifically gives special abilities that comes from supernatural will power, then it's the practically the same.
The thing you’re missing in this point is that "a more powerful version of a real thing" doesn’t equates that other "more powerful version of a real thing" is capable of doing the same despite being practically the same. A character that can survive, let's say, an otherwise lethal poison through sheer willpower can do that, but what it cannot be assume to be capable of doing is to resist someone taking control of him through Mind Manipulation or viceversa. Because both things are impossible to accomplish in real life and are but superhuman feats that can be accomplished because the author gives it a sense on it's own narrative, which isn’t the same in other ones.

I want you to note that baki has neither supernatural willpower nor resistance to fear manipulation on his profile.
"Why does X Character doesn’t has X ability?"

Every profile out there is up to have missing, erroneous and/or iffy abilities. Supernatural Willpower is also a fairly recent ability by the Wiki standards and you cannot evaluated over 20000 pages overnight.

Hm, now that I think about it. A character who can survive a hax via will power doesn't give him the power to resist hax that other characters have resisted via will power. Now the thing is, in the case of baki, it still doesn't give him a resistance to fear since he never actually resisted the biological aspect of the hax. So I think this might just be a weakness of yujiro's hax, that it can be ignored with super natural or strong will power.

As others have mentioned numerous times before fear manipulation is just empathic manipulation, fear is literally an emotion but the Wiki never actually manages to rectify this.

Back