• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doctor Who discussion thread 1

Colonel_Krukov

🖖 Live long and prosper
He/Him
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Image Helper
Doctor-who-series-10-cybermen
So, season 10 has been pretty good so far. There's still some pretty good upcoming episodes such as John Simm returning as the Master and the Mk1 Cybermen appearing.

What are people's thoughts so far?

At least I tried

Does anyone know how good the Dr. Who comic "Prisoners of Time" is? My dad bought Volume 2 of it for my for Christmas but I haven't read it yet since I want to read Volume 1 first.

Also, whats a good jumping on point on the series in general? I want to get into it since it seems right up my alley.

@Dark

The starting point would be the first episode of the revived series, "Rose", beginning with the Ninth Doctor played by Christopher Eccleston.

It may sound weird, but given how many of the early episodes of Doctor Who are impossible to find (As they were deleted from BBC's archive decades ago) and how the revival tries its best to appeal to new viewers (As it did for me), it's a good point to jump in.

Has anyone been watching the new series?

Darkanine said:
Does anyone know how good the Dr. Who comic "Prisoners of Time" is? My dad bought Volume 2 of it for my for Christmas but I haven't read it yet since I want to read Volume 1 first.

Also, whats a good jumping on point on the series in general? I want to get into it since it seems right up my alley.
Everything's available on Netflix, from Season 1 till the Christmas special after season 8

Next Episode Spoilers
The Doctor has apparently started working with the monks and Bill is allying with Nardole and Missy to sort out the damage the monks have done.

Latest episode was up there with the best episodes, not going to go into details with anything. Did anyone watch it?

I'll ask an even better question. Will anyone respond to this thread except out of pity, lmao.

I'm basically talking to myself, but if anyone is paying attention, I've started a respect thread for the Doctor

I just started watching the new series. So far I love it.

Really? What episode are you on?

I'm going to just travel a few hours into the future so I can get an answer and travel back, one sec. ovo

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
The Monk arc was pretty damn good, actually.
Was not expecting that twist

Indeed.

Also, the Doctor is the only person I know who would verify someone's loyalty to him by having them potentially "kill" him. lol

I was suckered in an literally thought he had turned to the monks. I feel so bad for Bill though, I can understand wanting to get that upset.

Say, I've accumulated a whole bevy of resources for Old Who/Exanded Universe stories that are out of print. I know of sites that have very complete chronologies, transcripts of TV episodes, and even PDF copies of books. Would it be cool if i made a blog or something like that with links to those sites?

Since others can read some of those books now, would it be ok if I used this thread to put some of my findings, like Azzy did in those Warhammer threads? In the last two days I've already read two books, one featuring the Vampires and one featuring a likely 5-B Daemon. I'll use spoiler tabs to avoid clogging up this thread and spoiling others. What say ye, Colonel?

That's fine. I'm just letting you know that myself and others are going to be busy due to the on-going revision atm.

Lemme know when all the revisions are done and I'll make a little post about the Fendahl and some other stuff. By the way, big shout-out to Colonel and the rest of the staff. It says a lot when a community cares so much about the quality of its content that they go to such lengths to make things as great as possible!

Okay, I will try to fufill the good Colonel's wish now. Here are some points of interest from the novel adaption of Image of the Fendahl, starring Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor (the one with the scarf). I haven't seen the tv episode, but I have access to the transcript, and everything seems to match up. I'll post my findings once I have them well-organized in spoiler tabs; in the meantime, what's been going on in the show? I don't have cable, but I heard the the Doctor is considering trusting the Master with a grave task. Could this relate to the revelations in the EU book Master? And does anyone else happen to know to what I refer? I don't want to spoil it for anyone, otherwise.

Arrgh, the power of editing is not with me; I can't put the info and quotes here wihout making a big mess. Even now, I've got the spoiler tabs working, but it looks like ordinary text; should work if you just click it. I guess it would be better to make blogs instead of posting here. To atone for my folly, here is a very impressive mental feat of the Seventh Doctor's from The Also People.

Context: the People are a really advanced race with really advanced computers that were made by some humanoids with brains with the mean density of a pulsar (See page 34). The computers (and their long-lost creators) have so much processing tech that even the simple drones have to utilize pocket-universe technology to store all their brainpower. Most notable are the ships, whose processing speeds dwarf all but the master computer of the People, God. The following is a very long interlude detailing the processing powers of the machines; keep in mind that references to the processing speeds of "an average humanoid" are useless due to that term not being exclusive to humans.

CLICK ME: Hyperlude on Pages 56-57

Imagine a globe, a bubble if you like, you can make any size you like because it exists in a subdomain of hyperspace where dimensions like depth and width are a matter of taste. Now imagine the surface of your globe is like that of an oily soap bubble, rainbow colours shifting across the surface. Now imagine that each discrete element of that colour represents an analog logic state capable of recording a fixed range of values.
Now, remember a summer's afternoon, one from when you were young and a single afternoon could last half a lifetime. Try to remember everything: the precise colour of the sky, every mouthful of food, your emotions, what you did and what you thought. You can't, of course. Some of it is inaccessible, buried in the basement of your subconscious, and some of it has just plain gone, crowded out by more recent experiences. But just pretend for a moment that you can remember everything from that afternoon. That's a tremendous amount of data, sorted, catalogued and analysed and, as stated above, discarded. Now string all those afternoons together and add in all the mornings and nights between the ages of, say, three and nine. Never mind the complete works of Shakespeare, or all twenty-six volumes of Encyclopaedia Universalis, they represent information that has been pinned down and sanitized. What we are talking about here is the accumulated memories of a child, with all its subtle interactions of mood and texture. We are talking about data that has a kind of life of its own. We will call the sum of all this data a childhood; it's as good a unit of measurement as any other. We'll assign a value of one childhood to our imaginary globe. This, by the way, being a conservative estimate.

Now, pull back from the globe until it's a small shape in the centre of the mind's cinema. Add a second globe next to the first, identical in every respect and also with the value of one childhood. Add a third globe and another after that in a line from the first. Keep on adding the globes but start to curve the line in on itself so that we are left with a spiral of globes. When you reach the centre and run out of room you should have a hundred globes and a kilochildhood of data.

Rotate this spiral through ninety degrees to the horizontal and start adding the globes in three dimensions, building a second spiral outwards from the centre of the first spiral. When it reaches the circumference go down a level and repeat the process working from the outside in. Repeat this until you have a cylinder a hundred globes tall with a storage capacity of a hundred kilochildhoods. Create another hundred thousand cylinders of the same dimensions, stretch them out in a long line and then carefully wind that line up into the shape of a sphere, just like a ball of wool. This ball will have a capacity of ten million kilochildhoods or ten gigachildhoods.

The average drone mind is made up of one of these balls. It gives them a standard estimated intelligence rating of eight times that of the average humanoid.

String these balls together into another line and wind them up into a much larger ball. We are now entering into the kind of cosmic numbers that only the machines can truly understand. One of these superballs has a capacity of 13.3 tetrachildhoods and is the usual size of a ship's mind. It also represents the upper limit of what, for the sake of clarity, we shall refer to as the ball of wool construction technique. Ships' minds have an estimated intelligence rating of a thousand times that of an average humanoid, although ships are usually the first to point out that once past the sentience threshold it becomes impossible to truly differentiate between levels of intelligence. Philosophically speaking. They go on to talk about the role of experience, sensory input matrixes and endocrine interactions. The average humanoid, if they've managed to stay awake, usually replies that all this might be so but they still can't beat your average drone at chess. The ship then tells them that they're missing the point and then shifts the conversation on to something more interesting.

Since we've now reached the upper limits of the ball of wool construction technique we will have to shift paradigms. Imagine the superballs are in fact two-dimensional planes, like planes of very thin glass with sides of near infinite length. Imagine about a million and float them in a sub- domain of hyperspace that is simultaneously very large and the size of a proton. Once you've managed that, no cheating now, imagine a string of these proton-sized subdomains and, you've probably guessed it, wind it up into a ball.

That is a section of the mind of God. Nobody ever tries to estimate its intelligence. Nobody wants to be that depressed. Trillions of thoughts rush at translight speeds through God's mind. Huge deep thoughts that move so quickly that before you finish speaking your first sentence God has probably predicted the entire course of a conversation you're going to have next year.

There is only one mind that is any way comparable to that of God's, although of vastly different configuration and attribution. It is currently residing in a time capsule that constantly hangs one picosecond ahead of the everpresent now.

If they could communicate, what thoughts would these two utterly different minds share? Concepts so utterly grand and grossly inexplicable that their very articulation could disorder the progress of creation. Even now both minds, lonely in their splendid isolation, yearn across that picosecond barrier, each seeking a consummation that cannot, must not, be allowed to happen.

So, God is... whatever all that was about, and the Doctor is comparable to him according to narration. As far as the actual feats are concerned, well, the Doctor does a pretty great job of keeping one step ahead of God throughout the story (all things considered), figures out the culprit of a murder before it, and also does this to a ship's computer.

CLICK ME: Doctor Vs. C-Mel the Ship Supercomputer, Covered on Pages 143-144

'Oh,' said Roz, 'Plan B, negotiated hostage release. Why don't I leave you two alone and go and find myself some, coffee.' She walked away from the park. The Doctor was pleased to notice that she went towards the nearest emergency exit, her walk getting noticeably brisker the further away she got.
'You can take the microfusion grenade out of your mouth now, Doctor,' said the !C-Mel. 'You can't possibly use it here. I've got internal dampening fields that can snuff out a tiny little bomb like that.'

The Doctor removed the bomb from his mouth. 'You could have said that sooner,' he said, 'instead of letting me look like a fool.'

'Shall we cut out the crap and get down to business.'

'It occurred to me,' said the Doctor, 'that this negotiation could be very protracted if we proceed at normal biological speeds. In the interest of getting this over and done with I suggest I link my mind directly to your comms system and we can chat that way.'

'You can't possibly think at machine speeds,' said the !C-Mel.

'No,' said the Doctor, 'but I think faster than I talk and I can talk pretty fast.' 'Very well,' said the !C-Mel, 'we'll do it your way.'

The Doctor smiled, hugely.

[Less than a minute later, as the ship crumbles]

!C-Mel was coming apart at the seams when the Doctor made his getaway. He could feel contrary sets of vibrations through his feet as God tried to hold the ship together long enough for him to get off. It wasn't easy: the TSH was essentially held together by interlaced forcefields and without the controlling mind it had all the intrinsic cohesion of a child's building blocks.

Part of him, that small part that would rather be juggling, wondered if it wouldn't be better if he just died, considering what he had just done. It helped if he told himself he didn't have any choice but not much.

Poor !C-Mel; not so different from anybody else, wanted a quiet life with no problems. Shouldn't have threatened to kill everyone in the sphere though, made that old 'good-of-the- majority' equation far too easy to solve.

Whoa. Of all the many, many Doctor Who stories I've read (been reading books long before I shared all these resources), this is probably the best feat I've seen from the Doctor. I dunno if it's something that could be put on his page, per se, but I wanted to share this with you guys to hear what you think. What say ye?

Opinions on the last ep?

Apparently the last three episodes are one story, giant hype for mk1 Mondasian Cybermen, two Masters, and a giant black hole.

Back