• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doctor Manhattan and Mr Mxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
So I just wanna make this thread here.

Namely, I don't think that it's EVER been confirmed that the being stated to be far more powerful and dangerous than Mr. Mxyzptlk was in fact Doctor Manhattan. The statement was so vague that it could have been referring to a bunch of people, really.

It could have been referrng to a bunch of other entities, really. Anyone from Mr. Oz, Barbatos and The World Forger, Perpetua, the number of things. However, I would rather scale Dr. Manhattan from his own more directly confirmed feats.

The final issue of Doomsday Clock will release next month so we should finally get some answers on how his battle with Superman will be.

He also displayed pretty interesting hax when he fought, pretty much every superhero.

We should probably wait until Doomsday Clock before confirming anything, but I do think it was pretty much made as clear as possible that Mxyzptlk was talking about Doctor Manhattan without mentioning him directly by name. I think the evidence within the stories themselves extends well beyond the burden of proof.

True, but I wish they'd just straight up confirm it was him instead of beating around the bush since it this point we all know Manhattan has been pulling all the strings

Doomsday Clock has been such a long time coming that I'm kind of hoping the last issue features a scene that shows all the crazy stuff Manhattan did leading up to it, like cracking the Microverse, saving Jor-El, stealing time, etc. It would make a nice end of the road retrospective.

I don't think it was ever meant to be a feat show, and I don't actually suspect Superman and Manhattan will face off in the traditional sense either. It will probably end up being an ideological battle in the end with Superman's punch being a red herring that has a different purpose in the actual story.

I suppose that this is possible, but Dr. Manhattan also easily killed Pandora, who had merged timelines and destroyed multiverses, and it seems to make best sense that Mxyzptlk referred to Doctor Manhattan screwing up the timeline.

I agree that Manhattan has not displayed such a scale of power during the actual Doomsday Clock series yet though.

You think we should give him a "Unknown, possibly far higher" tier? Because while Mxyzptlk may be telling the truth, I think we need to see more of his power before he can be given a Low 1-C tier

I do not know. Maybe we could scale him from Pandora instead?

That could work, it is explicitly shown that Manhattan is superior to her even evident by the fact he killed her without much effort and Pandora is the same one who defeated the Seven Deadly Sins who can each destroy the multiverse so he should at least be 2-A

Actually, what tier is Pandora exactly? Since she doesn't have a profile but it's cleraly 2-C at the very least.

She merged the main DC universe with other timelines, but I am not sure how many universes her bad aspects were stated as capable of destroying.

Personally, I think Doctor Manhattan is fine where he is. A lot of time has passed, so many of us may not remember it, but the line of comics surrounding those Mxyzptlk lines were specifically billed as a lead up to Doomsday Clock. A distinct connection is drawn between the entity Mxyzptlk is afraid of, the entity Mister Oz is afraid of, the entity Prophecy is afraid of, the entity that killed the Reverse Flash, and the entity that broke through the Microverse to enter DC. Doctor Manhattan stealing time in DC Universe: Rebirth is clearly referenced again during Superman and Booster Gold's team up to investigate the entity responsible for screwing with Jor-El. The blue hue that was present when Mister Oz was raptured away from Superman is the same one present when Pandora is killed and when Thawne sees "God" outside the time stream. It seems pretty clear who the narrative is pointing toward, and I would be absolutely shocked if this was a reference to some Synder storyline instead. That isn't made apparent at all. The things the entity is described as doing all line up with Doctor Manhattan's actions as well. He supposedly altered the time stream to some severe degree, he altered Superman's story specifically very dramatically- even splitting him into two continuities, and he broke into the DC universe from... somewhere else. These are all things that Manhattan's actions in Doomsday Clock could easily be described as from a lower creature's point of view. The entity also has a specific fascination with Superman and the concept of "hope." This really isn't a question from my perspective. When consumed in whole, it's very clear Mxyzptlk is talking about Doctor Manhattan. And on that note, it seems strange to penalize the passive doctor, known for rarely doing anything, on the basis that he's just... not doing much in Doomsday Clock. It would be one thing if Doomsday Clock was littered with low showings, but Doctor Manhattan is basically just being his usual passive self. We don't even know if Superman is actually capable of harming him. Lord knows nobody else has been able to.

All that being said, if we have to give him a downgrade, I think scaling him off of Pandora would be fine. She should be At Least 2-C for defeating a small group of enemies capable of destroying at least the local 52 universes with incredible ease . This would make Doctor Manhattan At Least 2-C by proxy. But I still personally think it's more accurate to have him at Low 1-C.

I think that ClassicNESfan seems to make sense. We should probably keep Doctor Manhattan where he is then.

Yes, but it seems like the DC Comics continuity will be rebooted again after Doomsday Clock, so it is likely that he will be the cause.

Antvasima said:
Yes, but it seems like the DC Comics continuity will be rebooted again after Doomsday Clock, so it is likely that he will be the cause.
Look at the bright side, Ant, Doomsday Clock is a much better way to end a continuity than Flashpoint was. Maybe it's not Crisis on Infinite Earths, but at least I'm glad Post-Flashpoint will end its run on a high note.

Tbh, I have quite enjoyed Doomsday Clock. I'd enjoy it more if it weren't plagued by a chaotic release schedule, but I think it's been a good story.

Yes, I also like Doomsday Clock quite a lot.

THAT'S the reboot. The new continuity will incorporate ALL previous continuities into one. That's why I say they're rebooting their reboots.

I thought Rebirth did that, or was it more so combining Post Crisis and New 52? Honestly they just need to make up their minds and focus on one reboot for like a few decades if possible

Rebirth was New 52 + Post-Crisis, yes. The new reboot ("5G" as some call it) will combine Golden Age, Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, and Post-Flashpoint into a single, unified timeline.

I wish that Geoff Johnns had replaced Paul Lewitz, not Dan Didio(t). The latter has destroyed most of what made the Post-Crisis era fun.

At this point, you can feel the editors going "We're not selling anymore!" "What do we do?" "Rehash our last event to boost sales while not introducing a single new concept to the characters, of course" "Ah, lemme get my resignation papers in place"

Also, we can give a 'At least '2-C, likely Low 1-C if there is ambiguity whether Manhattan did it or not.

Unless we're saying that Jor-El can make 1-C traps on his own now, I'm pretty sure Manhattan gave him the knowledge/power to do so.

I have read a few reliable articles about that the owners of DC Comics likely plan to sell it at this point. Thanks a lot Didio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back