• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Note About Mxy

ArachDusa

She/Her
I recently noticed that one of the notes in Mister Mxyzptlk's page says the following:
The original Mister Mxyzptlk was rather inconsistent with his dimensions. At first, he was a Sixth Dimension being, but as his story progressed, they changed it to Fifth Dimension.
This got me curious, so I went and tried to find where this tidbit was mentioned online, but the only results were in reference to Perpetua's Sixth Dimension in Death Metal. I even tried looking up the oldest comics Mxy has appeared in, and while the first ones ever had simply said he was from "another dimension" without naming it (although they did make it clear it referred to a spatial dimensions, with him consistently calling Earth part of the third dimension) I couldn't find any specific mention of Mxyzptlk being from the Sixth Dimension specifically. Does anybody here have a source or a scan for that claim, and if not, why is it in the Wiki?

i think it'd be a good thing for it to be provided a scan proving why he was unconscious of the 6th dimension, too

to get on the matter or the question, this search returned me this quote (even the bold part was google's, not me):
Mister Mxyzptlk, a creature from the Fifth Dimension, was only able to open a portal when the Source Wall, the boundaries of reality, had been broken, an act that took a large chunk of his energy. The happenings of the Sixth Dimension were completely beyond the atemporal perception of Mister Mxyzptlk.

don't even know where is said he's 6D
buuuuuut
he knows the 6th dimension exists and kinda can open a portal to there
but as it wouldn't be easy for him to do this and i didn't find no mention to him being 6D, don't think we should exaaaaaaaactly take that into consideration

The note on the Wiki concerns the very old Golden Age comics written nearly a century before the Sixth Dimension was properly fleshed out in Death Metal. I wouldn't be surprised at that inconsistency.

Seeing as how I am the creator of the page, I can answer that for you.

The 6th dimension, 7th dimension, etc mentioned back in the golden age comics were drastically different. They were extra axis and nothing more. Right now, 5th dimension is essentially everything below the 6th, I haven't been active so not sure how the wiki treats it rn, but that is the case in comics and other places. 6th dimension is just a name. It's not that it's 6D, but rather just the name of the place. It's from a different perspective that doesn't fit into the mathematical focused dimensionality shenanigans used by the wiki.

The 5th and 6th dimensions, as well as 7th dimension that was mentioned in Golden Age, don't even have a qualitative superiority over the previous dimensions. They are just called higher dimensions, but that's it.

The reason why I put the note is because in his early appearances, he was called 6th dimensional imp, the list is available on DC wiki and other places. Somewhere along the line, they switched it to 5th dimension, and then kept it as that because frankly it sounds way better. That's his origin and dimension now. That's it, there is nothing more to it.

TL;Dr, 6th dimension currently is different and that was from 1940s. Back then it was just the name of a higher dimension, but that's it. Now they have added tons of stuff. As for scans, you can find that mention in his first appearances from 1940s.

Back