• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DMC Downgrades (the ones everyone expected)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMC is rated as 1-C (9D). This is highly controversial. For once in my life, I will be making a thread that the majority of the VS community agrees with. I will not be arguing over the canonicity of PoC, or whether or not 9-dimensional souls are actually stored within the demon world, or even the feats used to scale to 1-C. This is looking solely at the reasons given for the cosmology being 9D.

The basis of tier 1 DMC primarily relies on two scans; First is from the mobile game Peak of Combat, which says the following:

“The Soul
It continues to hide mysteries that humans and demons don't understand, mysteries but every human has such. A basic nine-dimensional form, generally speaking, it originates from and returns to a higher dimension beyond the Eightfold Path. It not only contains the mind and memory, but also contains all the information of the body and its ancestors since ancient times.”

To start with, “a higher dimension beyond the Eightfold Path” is a meaningless phrase. The Eightfold Path is a series of Buddhist practices intended to help one transcend the suffering of life and achieve nirvana. Nothing about it corresponds to any spatial dimensions, higher or otherwise. This statement is the equivalent of saying “a higher dimension beyond the Bar Mitzvah”; Taking a religious practice with no relation to dimensionality and extrapolating far too much from it.

Furthermore, a statement of an object being (x)-dimensional is not an indication of qualitative superiority, or higher dimensionality. There are many examples of this, ranging from Ben 10 to Popeye, to the extent that such tier 1 scaling is practically regarded as a joke in the community. More than that, though, using the one-off phrases of “higher dimension” and “nine-dimensional” is not even enough for tier 1, as the tiering system FAQ explains:

“However, vaguer cases where a universe is merely stated to be higher-dimensional while existing in a scaling vacuum with no previously established relationship of superiority towards lower-dimensional ones (or no evidence to infer such a relationship from) should be analysed more carefully. In such cases where information as to their exact nature and scale is scarce, it is preferable that the higher dimensions in question be fully-sized in order to qualify.”

Of course, that brings me to the secondary point of scaling, that being the demon world transcending the human realm, as explained in this scan:

“Unending darkness. A crucible of chaos. But even to that primordial existence there came a ray of light. The universe was eventually split in two. The darkness became the realm of demons... and the light became the domain of mortals.”

I shouldn’t have to explain that a ray of light against the darkness is not indicative of the demon world seeing the universe as a literal geometrical line, just as the demon world isn’t literally “unending darkness”. The demon world being stated as infinite here isn’t particularly relevant, either; It is, after all, possible for one low 2-C space to see another as infinitely small if one has infinite spatial extent and the other does not. One would technically be infinitely larger, but not to the point of qualifying as a higher dimension. All this is meant to convey is the most bare bones good vs evil type trope that sets up almost every conflict in fiction.

TL;DR: Tier 1 DMC is founded upon flowery language and a blatant disregard of the tiering system. The verse’s ratings should be reverted to 2-C.

Last edited:
Oh me oh my.
This is gonna be a slaughter house and i'm here to see it
7b1

Ladies and gentlemen we are back for another round will it success this time or will it fail? find out after the next 6 months

And I thought trying to upgrade Fire Force was gonna be bad ☠️

You mad lad trying to downgrade Devil May Cry

To start with, “a higher dimension beyond the Eightfold Path” is a meaningless phrase. The Eightfold Path is a series of Buddhist practices intended to help one transcend the suffering of life and achieve nirvana. Nothing about it corresponds to any spatial dimensions, higher or otherwise.

I thought this as well for a few months, In fact i think i showed it to you in the official db server

灵魂
它继续隐藏着人类和恶魔都不了解的奥秘,但所有人都拥有这些奥秘。
一种基本的九维形式,一般来说,它起源于并返回到八正道之外的更高维度。
它不仅包含心灵和记忆,还包含自古以来本体及其祖先的所有信息。

The actual character used here refer to geometrical dimensions

As for the Buddhistic reference:

According to buddhism, eightfold paths is the key for a person to ascend from the state of dukha which is the cycle of life and death (Samsara) to a state of Nirvana. The Demon World has multiple realms known as Nirvana, which repeat in a cycle that is broken with items called samsara, allowing one to reach forbidden Nirvana. The mention of the eightfold path is very intentional here, as the Demon World with DMC 3 (which Peak of combat relies heavily on) is built upon buddhistic concepts. (Videodoesnt have a timestamp, rather goes over multple things lost on translation for dmc 3)

Ill post on the rest in a bit

Oh yeah, on the topic of the human world being described as a "ray of light", that doesn't really mean it's viewed as a lower dimensional object. A ray of light is still made of, well, light, which is 3D (unless we want to argue over whether or not photons are 2D). Taken literally, this would mean that the demon world views the human world as very small, but not uncountably infinitely so.

I do remember other stuff aside from the whole line of coke/infinite darkness comparison that was viable to use but i'll let that for the professionals.

I shouldn’t have to explain that a ray of light against the darkness is not indicative of the demon world seeing the universe as a literal geometrical line, just as the demon world isn’t literally “unending darkness”. The demon world being stated as infinite here isn’t particularly relevant, either; It is, after all, possible for one low 2-C space to see another as infinitely small if one has infinite spatial extent and the other does not.

I actually have 0 take on this

i can however, share my notes on the subject of 9d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back