• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[Marvel Comics] Captain Marvel's new calc higher than Thor's

This is my first CGD and for what I saw this is bigger than usual mostly because this explanation probably should be on the blog but I didn't create it myself because I'm not really familiar with the method to calculate galactic level destruction.
So let's go directly into the calc

This calc was requested by someone on my behalf when i mentioned it on Marvel discussing group. Mr Bambu already commented but he apparently refused evaluating for being unsure.

I will first start with the context of this feat and say that everything comes from X-Men Unlimited (1993) #13, then some stuff that I find important to mention and talk about Mr Bambu's point.

Context

The important part is that a race of aliens destroyed a planet called Zenn-La and used the souls of everyone that was on that planet as fuel to a machine that was controlling Binary/Carol Danvers, in some way she was powering 3 stars to the point of going supernova much earlier than they should Beast claimed that once the 3 stars go supernova at the same time an explosion would destroy parts of the Milky way and Andromeda and said that Chandilar, Earth and Hala are withing the danger zone, Hala is a planet that is part of the Large Magellanic Cloud which is a real galaxy, Chandilar is a planet of the Shi'ar Galaxy which to my knowledge is completely ficticious, so 4 galaxies are being affected by this explosion. In the end Phoenix Force Jean managed to stop the explosion from happening by releasing Carol from the mind control.

Important
For starters Binary's powers are basically a walking Energy System where she uses her energy in many ways including heat, gravity, radiation and unknown energies this is on her profile, so assuming that she is in some way causing an explosion more energetic that wouldn't scale to her makes no sense.
Another point is that we don't really know the size of all the stars involved, we know that one of the stars is in the Deneb system which is a real solar system and contains a star that is blue/white Supergiant obviously much more energetic than how little yellow sun, as such pointing out how this explosion should be limited to that of the 3 stars going Supernova is not a good point.
And also I think this is the most important point Beast mentioned Ripples also known as gravitational waves those ripples were happening much before the stars actually went Supernova. After some research I actually found something that I think it feats here. An article from Forbes talking about gravitational waves and their destructive effects, in this article it is said that even a 30 solar mass black holes merging would not cause any significant effect on Earth actually on the last paragraph it's actually stated

But a black hole-black hole merger would need to take place within our Solar System for that to happen. From even the distance of the nearest star, gravitational waves would pass through us almost completely unnoticed. Although these ripples in spacetime carry more energy than any other cataclysmic event, the interactions are so weak that they barely affect us.
Yet the ones that were being caused here are so energetic they were causing Earthquakes that were literally rupturing the planet. Which is pretty consistent with what is also stated on this article.
There are some ways that a large-enough amplitude gravitational wave could meaningfully impart energy to Earth. Crystals packed in intricate lattices would heat up all throughout the Earth's interior, potentially cracking or shattering if the gravitational wave is strong enough. Earthquakes would ripple throughout our planet, cascading and overlapping, causing worldwide damage on our surface. Geysers would erupt spectacularly and irregularly, and it's possible that volcanic eruptions would be triggered. Even the oceans would produce global tsunamis, disproportionately affecting coastal areas.
Throught this article is very clear that Gravitational waves more at the speed of light and it's stated by Beast that the ripples would affect Chandilar within 1 hour so considering that the article basically states than a black hole's gravitational waves are meaningless even if at the same distance as the sun, a gravitational wave that is about 7 times the distance and even actually destructive should not be limited by the energy of a star going supernova after all, the ripples were happening before the stars actually went supernova.

Back