• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DIO has his Phantom Blood abilities (ABILITIES REVISION)

BACKGROUND INFO (FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO REVISION)

For the uninformed, Dio Brando is a villain from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure . He is the primary antagonist of Phantom Blood (Part 1) and re-appears as the antagonist again in Stardust Crusaders (Part 3).

Through use of the Stone Mask , Dio Brando rejects his humanity and becomes a vampire, granting him a variety of abilities, all primarily focused around total manipulation over his own body. He can pressurize fluids in his eyes and shoot pseudo-lasers, he can rid a part of his body of heat, causing it to freeze it and anything that it touches, he has super strength, agility and more.

When he resurfaces in Stardust Crusaders (under the name DIO) after a 100 year slumber, he is noticeably weaker, manipulating others into fighting on his behalf. When he eventually does fight the Stardust Crusaders, a lot of his former vampire abilities are strangely absent.

REVISION

It is baffling to me, but apparently there is a lot of misconception around DIO. There is a large amount of people that believe DIO is unable to use his vampiric abilities from Phantom Blood.

I want to state this first and foremost: It was never stated that DIO had lost his vampiric abilities!

I am unaware of where this misconception comes from, though I do have a guess. I believe some people take his interaction with Hol Horse as some sort of proof that he is physically weaker. While yes, DIO did admit that his body was weaker than before, there is nothing to suggest that being weaker prevents him from using his vampire abilities. Furthermore, DIO himself states that once he drained Joseph's blood, his body has been the strongest it has ever been. If we take the previous logic as true, that being weak somehow prevents him from using vampire abilities, then we almost must take the reverse true, that being stronger than ever before allows him to use his vampire abilities.

Fuurthermore, DIO actually DOES use his vampire abilities, several times actually. He uses his super-hearing to see if Jotaro's heart is beating from a distance.He uses his vampiric Regenerationn to recover from shattered legs in mere seconds. He creates biological flesh buds to brainwash his opponents. People just don't see him use his "exciting" abilities and therefore he doesn't have it? Its just cherry picking at this point, he either DOES have vampire abilities or he DOESN'T. He is a vampire or he isn't.

People suggest that him never using it against Jotaro is also proof that he does not have it. Well, no . Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Him not using it doesn't mean he cannot use it. He chose not to. Whether or not that was a good decision is up to the reader. It's just a case of PIS, and thus cannot be used as proof that he does not have it.

This would mean we would no longer separate any abilities from DIO and Dio Brando, as it would be redundant seeing as how they share the same abilities.

TL;DR - DIO clearly still has his Phantom Blood abilities

>Dio Brando rejects his humanity and becomes a vampire

I see that you are remarking the important stuff.

Anyway, for High DIO, yes, for normal DIO, no. His regen was weakened to the point where he needed someone to bring his leg to him, not showing the rest of his abilities doesn't help. Using some of them doesn't mean much, especially since those powers are not hindered by Jonathan's body.

I think every vampire needs their body parts to fully regenerate though, and therefore it shouldn't be used as proof of his Regenerationn being weaker.

Straizo blatantly needs to recollect all of his organs to fully regenerate. Even Phantom Blood Dio was unable to regenerate from being just a decapitated head. (Even if his injuries were hamon related, nothing says that hamon prevents them from regenerating an injury, otherwise Dio would be permanently blind in one eye thanks to Dire.)

Hell, even ACDC needs to steal Joseph's mentor's arm in order to replace his own.

So yeah, his Regenerationn should be on par with ACDC, or rather, the same as it was in Phantom Blood. DIO in general should have all of his former abilities.

No, I mean, his leg wasn't able to magically reunite with DIO on its own.

I do agree with this. I mean, Dio never explicitly said that "I have lost all of my former vampiric abilities". Just because Dio DIDN'T use his abilities that doesn't mean the he CAN'T use them. Also, if we go by the logic that Dio lost his abilities, then his Regenerationn, his flesh buds, and his super-hearing he demonstrated in Part 3 shouldn't be possible.

And to you people who think that Dio lost his abilities because of the Hamon in Jonathan's body, remember, Hamon can only be generated through controlled breathing, and I'm sure as hell that Jonathan can't breathe without a head.

Some of you might still ask "Why didn't Dio use his former vampiric abilities to one-shot Jotaro?". Well, my answer to that is that as you can see on his profile, Dio's overconfident. He was so full of himself that he thought his Stand The World was unbeatable. He said the Stand could take over The World (intended pun by Dio) showing sure he was that he would triumph over the Joestars with just his Stand. And if you still aren't convinced, it could just be passed of as PIS. It's pretty normal for characters to just forget their abilities (via the author) i.e. Not using Joseph's Hermit Purple to find Kira in Part 4.

DIO is also very condescending towards hamon, considering it a thing of the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks his vaporizing freeze and stingy eyes are too.

Just pointing out that flesh buds and superbhearing are powers that stem entirely from his head. They wouldn't need Joseph's weaker body to work

I also forgot to mention that Dio managed to fire SRSE at Jonathan even though he was just head. Proving that he didn't need his old body to use his former vampiric abilities.

@monarch

By that logic, he would be able to use stingy eyes too. But according to the theory, him being weaker prevents him from using it... which should prevent him from using flesh buds and superhearing too, but it doesnt.

Very clearly he has access to these abilities.

He uses most of them, just not all of them.

He either is a vampire or he isn't. It makes no sense that he's weak and can use some abilities, but not others. Every single one of his ability is centered around manipulation his own body. It doesn't make sense for him to be kind of restricted in manipulating his body.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's just JoJo being Jojo and generally being full of plot holes that, again, due to it being Jojo, stops no one from having a blast with the series.

I will Agreeu

Nothing to imply that he lost them since Phantom Blood.
Vanillaiccce

By the time DIO finally fought the Joestars, he was basically back to his Phantom Blood days.

ProfessorLord said:
He uses most of them, just not all of them.
He either is a vampire or he isn't. It makes no sense that he's weak and can use some abilities, but not others. Every single one of his ability is centered around manipulation his own body. It doesn't make sense for him to be kind of restricted in manipulating his body.
I mean

When it's not his body

It kinda makes sense.

no we dont

theres nothing saying he lost it in part 3

we dont need to explain why he didnt lose his vampire abilities im pretty sure

No, I'm pretty sure some of people will dumbfounded by this. I mean, he never use it, why he has it? We just say the same thing it has been said here shorter. Like:

About DIO having his part 1 abilities, there are no evidence that he doesn't have these, considering he used some of his vampiric abilities throughoutt the fight against Jotaro. We considered the non-usage of the vampiric abilities either because of overconfidence or Plot-Induced Stupidity.

The Burden of Proof is on you, Professor, not Monarch. You can't dissmiss arguments saying "Well, you can't prove he CAN'T do it", because that's outright a fallacy.

There is good reason for him not being able to use the powers, and you have to go through even larger loops in logic to assume he still has them but just decided not to use them.

There is no argument for him losing his vampire abilities other than head-canon.

Prove to me he lost his abilities.

That is true, there is actually quite a bit of people in the JJBA community who believe he can no longer use them, even if they are not VS debaters. And I recall a few youtubers who do some in universe jojo VS stuff, albiet mostly causally, making the claim he couldn't use them. Its a common enough belief that a a note of explanation is warrented

belief =/= fact

believing michael jackson is alive is not proof that he is.

people in the JJBA community love using head-canon to explain the various plot holes

but yes i agree to a note 100%

When he tried to test if Jotaro was still alive, he had a police officer shoot Jotaro's body so he wouldn't have to get closer...

But if he had his Space Ripper Stingy Eyes then he could have just used them! DIO isn't an idiot. If he could have used them, he would have.

Because PIS. Having some of them but not all makes no sense. Za Warudo is OP enough, at least by JJBA standards. DIO is just that overconfident. Araki obviously just get himself to the corner.

ProfessorLord said:
There is no argument for him losing his vampire abilities other than head-canon.

Prove to me he lost his abilities.
Nor can you prove to me that he has them past the point that there shouldn't be a reason he lost them.

Except there is, in regards to how he has a completely different body that he even states that he's having trouble fully utilizing. He never uses the powers nor is he stated or implied to be able to use them.

Straizo can do the vampirism even if he's a former Hamon user. Esidisi is able to use blood boil and use the arm perfectly after he used mentor's arm.

Yet DIO claims he has trouble controlling his Vampirism, Straizo is using his own body, and Esidisi is a Pillar Man.

When did Part 3 DIO use his eye beams?

Dargoo Faust said:
Yet DIO claims he has trouble controlling his Vampirism, Straizo is using his own body, and Esidisi is a Pillar Man.
When did Part 3 DIO use his eye beams?
Dio used his eye beams on Jonathan even though he was just a head. Proving that he doesn't need his old body to use his vampiric abilities.

Back